Road Blockade Question

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by FergardStratoavis, Apr 9, 2019.

1. FergardStratoavis

FergardStratoavis Villager Member

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hello there.

Early on in my project the protagonist is fresh off the boss fight. The inn is provided to rest up in and provide a plot progression. If one tries to go further down the path, an NPC blocking the way will inform them that the army's currently dealing with a monster infestation and that it'll be safer in the morning (a pretty blatant nudge so that the player goes to the inn, but I'm a dumbdumb like that).

If the player insists on talking to the NPC again, he will assume ill intent (for context: the protag is carrying a girl who's a bit out of it at the time, in the middle of the night), but give him and the player the benefit of the doubt. Talking with the NPC again will initiate a boss battle which the player is unlikely to win. All of this was done to create something more diverse than a generic roadblock guard that endlessly repeats his phrase over and over. However, I've a problem: it doesn't work as intended.

Here's how it works:
    1. If you sleep in the inn, the NPC will disappear via a switch trigger (SleptInInn)
    2. Talking with him for the first time switches on TalkedWithFalkirk (which I was planning to use for later in the game, which is why it's not Selfswitch A).
    3. Talking with him the second time triggers Selfswitch A, and the third time will process a boss battle.
    4. Currently, if you do not talk with Falkirk and just rest at the inn, he'll disappear as intended. If you do, however, it seems that TalkedWithFalkirk is prioritized over SleptWithInn, and he stays around.

I'd appreciate any and all help that could be given on the matter. c:

2. Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Engr. Adiktuzmiko Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy' Veteran

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Please post the event pages for the NPC.

Also take note that event pages are prioritized from highest page to lowest page. If you have a page that uses TalkedWithF as a condition and that page has a higher number than your page with the SleptAtInn condition, on the case that both are true, the page with TalkedWithF condition will be the one shown.

3. Heirukichi

Heirukichi Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have yet to see your event to be sure but from your description it looks like you messed up the page order in your event. If the conditions of two different pages are met, the one with the highest page id has higher priority.

In your case it looks like the page triggered by TalkWithFalkirk has the highest priority while that should be assigned to the one after sleeping in the inn.

EDIT: completely ninjed.

4. FergardStratoavis

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    ...funny, I keep messing up page orders thinking it's not a big deal. Shows what I know.

Still, thank you for your assistance. I'll provide the screenshots once I'm able, just to clear the suspicion completely. c:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  5. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    If changing the order works there is no need for screnshots. They are useful to understand the problem but once it has successfully been solved there is no need for them.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko likes this.
  6. FergardStratoavis

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Changing the order did indeed work. I guess that's a lesson for me to try and not be stupid with the events. At least now when I have a problem of that nature, I should be able to figure things out.

Thanks for the help. c:

7. Heirukichi

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You're welcome. However, if you did not check it already, you could take a look at Andar's tutorial for new users (the one in my signature). You should be able to find everything you need to start using RPG Maker properly. Interaction between event pages, tricky parts about parallel process events, how to properly use switches and variables. All these things can be found there. It is a great tutorial.