Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello, hello!
Happy holidays to everyone!

I've been playing board games lately so i am inspired a little bit by the "roll dice to determine number of actions" feature.

Thus:

I am looking to implement a system where the player will roll dice and that # will determine how many actions the player will go per turn.

The rules would be as follow:

1) Player enters battle
2) Enemy rolls dice
3) Player a rolls dice (for each character)
5) Character's can choose n number of actions according to their dice roll
6) sti turn based
4)Works on a speed system where those with higher agility will of coursw go first.

I am hoping i dont need a plugin because I dont want to do anything big

Please, all ideas are accepted.

Last edited:

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I think it's a dicey idea (no pun intended - honest!) for at least two reasons:
  1. This adds extreme variance to your characters' battle power (rolling a 6 means they'll be six times as effective as rolling a 1, unless some kind of extremely limited resource like MP is holding them back anyhow).
  2. You are forcing the player to input a lot of actions each turn (for example, if your average roll is a 4, and there are 3 characters in the party, and a boss battle lasts just 10 turns, your players have to input a whopping 120 actions!).
This doesn't mean that it's impossible to implement such a system well, but you better put a ton of thought into designing the rest of the system around these concerns so that it's quick, fair, strategic, and takes full advantage of the unique aspects of dice rolling!

A better system might be to roll some fixed number (like 5 or 6) of dice each turn, with each die having a certain type of action on each face. The faces that come up from the player's roll determine what types of actions she is allowed to use that turn (for example, if 2 dice come up 'Magic', she can use two magic spells during the entire turn) and she can determine which characters use which action.

Either way you implement it, this will absolutely require either a plugin or customized changes to the coding to pull off, since (among other reasons) the default RPGM battle system does not allow for characters to take more than one unique action in a turn.

Jonforum

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hi you will need to make a plugin in js.
you can also do it un pur js command , but you will have some difficulty to do it.

for i dice system, i suggest you to be interested in these command scripts in js.
https://www.w3schools.com/jsref/jsref_random.asp

i made also a very old similar try , with random dice
no js plugin, but pur rmmv command script

Runako

Miracle/Magic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
:kaomad3:

... And here I am trying to make a simpler game.

@Wavelength Gosh, I love that idea.
I was hoping for it to be somewhat doable without establishing an entire new battle system.

@Jonforum thank you much for the resource. I have very little exp in programming, but ill take a look at everything.

My initial vision was to have the characters have multiple actions based on accessories (as in accessories increase the amount of actions a players could do per turn). With that, of course the weight of skills would decrease.

Thats probably a little bit more doable

If i were to do that, could you provide some advise or insight on how to balance skills and such?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'Game Mechanics Design' is not for feedback on specific individual games. "How do I...?" Questions go in the support forum for the engine you are using. This will need a plugin, so...
[move]IS Plugin Requests[/move]

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just a little close up shot...
w2xZocX.jpg
finally drew the last member of "team outcast" for my game. since my game has a lot fighting game elements in it, there's bosses in teams of three like King of Fighters.
Run Script Calls & Play Unique Sound Effects With Each Skill & Item | RPG Maker News #113

Let's continue making our game in MZ! Touchfuzzy is... still eventing... though this time we may be working on eventing some tutorial stuff for our players!

I work late on the game so I sleep in then I wake up late so I have to work hard to make up for sleeping in meaning I work late again and sleep in again... what a nasty cycle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrimCr