Romancing SaGa Project: Input Appreciated

Lowell

The Walking Atelier
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
For a personal project of mines, I'm attempting to create a game that is highly influenced by Romancing SaGa and while the battle system is probably one of the main draws of the game series, I realize that a number of other aspects often don't get enough attention or are even ignored to some point. For those that are familiar with the game (any in the series really), I wanted to know exactly what particular mechanics put you off and which mechanics you think could use a lot of improvement.

Completed Items

• BP Mechanic (From Romancing SaGa: Minstrels Song)
  • Skill Glimmering (In Progress)
  • LP Mechanic (In Progress)
  • Free Scenario System (Not Started)
  • Action Based Stat Growth (Not Started)

Key Aspects to Keep In Mind

• One of the major issues with many of the games is that it's extremely unfriendly to players that are used to being told where to go next in a quest line. While I don't intend to hold anyone's hand during most of the quest sequences in the game, I do realize that I need to at least make mention to or drop smalls hints on where to progress next in a scenario.
  • As far as finding quest or learning about possible places the player can explore, I'm still in the process of planning out exactly how I will go about this.A good majority of quest, locations, and what not are often found by talking passerby's, so I may have an option that allows the player to highlight NPC's that have important information for the player.
  • Lastly, don't neglect Pubs, Inns, and other establishments. Building off of Romancing SaGa 3's design, I'll not only have recruitable allies posted there, but also information, rumors, and even quest.
[*]The Battle System is still a work in progress, but most of the parts needed for it are already in hand.
  • Battle Engine Symphony will likely be the core of the battle system.
  • I'm currently "trying" to write my own script for Glimmering/Sparking techniques. Until then I'll be using the script from Code Crush. (I know about Kread's but his doesn't work exactly the way I need it to).
  • Stat Growth will likely be omitted completely until I can find a suitable method for it.
  • Classes will likely be handled by Mr Bubbles Title script, and used to learn passive skills
[*]Equipment Customization & Magic will be using the same script but have different setups.
  • Among other things, weapons will likely only be allowed to carry a single status ailment.
  • Customization slots and stat growth will vary from one weapon to the next, because of this the number of weapons for each type will be exceedingly low.
  • All equipment will have durability, so they will need to be maintained. Maintaining them however will be simple.
  • Taking advantage of some of the scripts functions, I decided to have some fun and let the player craft their own spell books. omitting the magic limitations of previous games, but also giving valid reasons to specialize in particular schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I can tell you what put me off of the Romancing Saga in two words, "Saga Frontier".  Apart from Alkaizer, some of the music, and one of the bosses, that game was so horrible as a whole.

Of course Saga Frontier II redeemed it wholly for me.   That was such an absolutely amazing game in every way.  Gustave was such an amazing character, that's what I've always loved about the Romancing Saga.  Even though it has so many characters it does character development so well.

I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Lowell

The Walking Atelier
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I personally preferred SaGa Frontier 1 over 2, but that's likely because the game mechanics were more similar to Romancing SaGa 3 which is what I was familiar with at the time.

Quick Update

• Just finished writing the BP Mechanic from Minstrels Song. As soon as a moderate approves the thread, I'll post a direct link to it from here.
  • The next task on the list is likely writing the Glimmering mechanic, which is a very tall order.
  • Additionally, see how difficult it will be to implement formations in Battle Engine Symphony

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

so... I decided since a park was an area in my game... here's an enemy that's slide with a hand behind it. cause why not.
Hot chocolate and music make studying and note-taking much easier :kaoluv:
Until my hand cramps up from writing too much!
Doing RPG Maker News for 21st September 2021

Malak is still waiting for Dark Deception Chapter 4... This was him yesterday after another sugar crash.
Again, he's fine. He's just bored at this point, considering he's exhausted his entire vacation bucket list.
Am I the only one who files custom resources under specific folders to remember who to credit? :kaoswt2:
1632263519730.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeadlightBC