Roof tops tiles

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Resources' started by Lupinos, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Hi Community.

I edited the tileset of RMMV a bit for my own needs and would like to share with you.

It is not much. Just some roofs and a bit smoothed out mountain tops.

Free for non commercial use. For commercial use make sure you have permission for the original tilesets of RMMV, since this is an edit.

No credits needed.

Tiles:

[​IMG]
    Sample:

[​IMG]
    Enjoy. :)

2. Sythian Bard

Sythian Bard Self Proclaimed Beard Extraordinaire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Dude! I flipping love you! I was just about to go through the tedious process of trying to build these if I couldn't find them. And I don't think I would have gotten such amazingly fantabulous results.

Thank you for this contribution. My roofs are saved!

Lupinos likes this.
  3. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Wow! You even did the perspective right! The only (very small!) miss I can see is the lower pointy part in the middle. You made it more or less flat which look more or less weird. But it's such a small detail that I bet many won't even see it!

I am interesting in how you did the slanted roofs though. What program ( GIMP, PS?) did you use and what tools/techniques? Can you please tell me since I am currently learning to use GIMP. :)

You have me confused about commercially usage though. If You're fine with it, then it should be OK (right?) since it's from The MV "RTP" and as long as you bought MV you have the right to use all the resources that came with it in commercial games as well. The licence for commercial use comes with the software so to speak.

I want to clarify that last part for myself and anyone else that might get confused by the way you wrote it. ;)

Lupinos likes this.
  4. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    To answer your first question(s): I used Photoshop. ;)

I copied the roof tile from the A-Tile of Outside, turned it 90° clockwise. Skaled it 50% in height, duplicated it as much till I got 3 times 48 pixels in height and combined the layers to 1 layer. Then I used the "tilt" tool and tilted it by -45° vertically. I duplicated this layer again and flipped it horizontally and gave it a multiplied black overlay of 35% opacity, so it looks darker. I went back to the A-Tile and copyed the very top of the roof (crest) and pasted it as layer above the tilted roof. Made two other duplicates of this crest and aligned them and combined the three layers to 1 layer, which I turned by -45° vertically. I fitted this to the front of the tilted roof and cut off the parts which are not needed anymore and outlined the lower edge with the outline color of the specific roof. Then I duplicated this layer, flipped it horizontally and gave it a slight overlay of black by 16% opacity. For the crest at the front I just copyed a smal fitting part of the crest of the tilted roofes and fitted it in at the top of the front triangle. At the end I made a new layer under the roofs and took a soft brush with black and 35% opacity to draw a slight shadowline under the left tilted roof in the front. For the gable. At the very end I drew a thin outline at the end of the tilted roofs. That's it. ^^

To answer your other question: I am fine with any usage of this tileset, so also commercial use and I guess you are right. So if you own RMMV it should be legal to use it commercially as well.

jaypee likes this.
  5. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Lupinos

Thank you for straightening out my questionmarks and explaining the process. Very informative!

Since I am using GIMP it's a little different but the "tilt tool" you are refering to is probably called "shear tool" in gimp. It tilts the picture in the right angle but unfortunally the quality in my experiment was extreamy blurry - not as crisp as yours. I wonder if there is something I can do about this or if Photoshop just have the superior algorithm for tilting pictures? ;)
    I was looking into doing the other roofs myself that you didn't do (yet?). But I am stuck using GIMP for the time being so if the cold hard facts are that photoshop will do it much better no matter what, then I might as well wait for someone else to do it or me. Or, worst case scenario, do it myself in Photoshop in the future.

[EDIT: The loss in quailty might have been because I tilted it at a -90° angle, but the reason I did this was that -45° angle was not nearly enough to get the kind of tilt that you achived in your finished work. This should not be different no matter what software you use since it's math which makes me confused. :headshake: ]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2015
  6. Luth

Luth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    I use the same technique :)

But in RPG Maker XP, the perspective was a bit different ; here's a pic made with the RTP (found in on the web) :

[​IMG]

As you can see, the edges' angle isn't similar to the one above.

Lupinos likes this.
  7. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Luth

The quality of your tilts still look crisp. Do you use Photoshop as well or do you use GIMP?

8. Luth

Luth Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
  9. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    It is hard to explain, since my PS is on German. The tool gives me different settings for the recalculation of the image. I usually use "bicubic sharper" or "pixel repeating". I translated now literarily, don't know the exact English terms. And I don't know if GIMP has similar settings. ;)

Edit says: I will probably not make the other roofs, since I don't like their colors that much and will probably not use them. If I should do, I'll update this post.

@Luth: Yes, I remember that XP had a different scale, so the gable had a different angle than the pointy part, when roofs joined. I also used to do such roofs for RMXP. ^^ My biggest challenge was to do roofs for MGCs ISO engine though. lol

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Parallax Panda likes this.
  10. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Ok thanks guys! After some research I think the tool you used in PS and the one I use in GIMP was not (exactly) the same. And that is probably just the way it is, GIMP and PS is different. Good thing is that in the end I think I managed to make the roofs I tampered with similar enough, I had to use some filters afterwards though. It wouldn't have been easy for me if it weren't for you explanation, so thanks again for that. ;)

Also those cliffs are nice too. No reason to not use them instead of the RTP. I actually did a similar edit a few days ago but yours is the better one so I guess I just use them. ;_;

11. Baron Banana

Baron Banana Brobdingnagian Bannerman Member

First Language:
    Indonesian
    @Lupinos

Great job, man.

I tried to make a few roof edits myself, but I couldn't tile and shade them properly. Maybe I should try your method. And use Photoshop instead of GIMP.

12. Lupinos

Lupinos Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    That is why I changed to Photoshop. GIMP is already a powerful tool and it is for free. But with Photoshop you spare time because what you do in GIMP with lots of filters, Photoshop often does with one click/go.

@Bannerman: Yes, I seen them. Great job! I also made one for my needs of this roof style. For my Miskatonic University building. ^^

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2015
  13. DavidFoxfire

DavidFoxfire Veteran Veteran

I made the jump from GIMP to Photoshop with their $10/month subscription to their CC service  It's Tenspots well spent.

14. 1Mustadio1

1Mustadio1 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    How do I obtain and actually use these roof tiles?  Because I can't even begin to express how badly I need these :DDDD  But yeah I'm a bit of a noob so I don't really know how to actually obtain these tiles from this post.  

So I played around a bit and figured it out for myself.  I really appreciate these roof tiles. These are an absolute must.   You're awesome :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016