RMMV Rosalyn's journey alpha demo

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by saruha, Aug 30, 2018.

?

did you enjoy the game so far?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. unsure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. saruha

saruha Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    last updated: 8/31/2018 (4 a.m (sleep is for the weak)

synopsis: you've died, but that's ok, you're to gain a second chance at life and this time, you can save a world, help you're companions and defeat the bad guy, at least, that's how it was supposed to go but instead...

ive yet to come up with a proper name for this game if anyone wants to throw out ideas id welcome them, but befor that id love some opinions, ive been working on this game for a few months now (most of the time spent figuring out how to use the program and playing with plugins) and its at a point where i want to start getting feedback, i welcome critisims as well and its my first game i need to learn what im a noob at XD

ive attempted to optimize the game by removing plugins and some fancy effects so if you have any preformance issues please let me know and i mutilate my baby farther QAQ XD

(things im working on right now that arnt in the demo)
    adding Npc's and other little touches
    custom art work for main character
    fixing bugs and glitches and things i just forgot about

implemented features:
    custom menu's
    custom battle animations
    voice acting (minor)

things im thinking of adding (all maybes)
    hand drawn graphics (if i ever get a drawing tablet or someone to do it for me)
    improving the battle system

download link: https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/14LsycRB6XC4qTbIWZU1PbByEgFvcZnLx
    Untitled.png Untitled 2.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  2. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Hi, your images are not working

3. saruha

saruha Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    fixed it sorry about that, it took me a while to figure out what was wrong with them, thanks for letting me know

4. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wanted to give your demo a go, but unfortunately there's a major issue with the 'battle start' animation and it drops the fps down to 1-2 so battles are pretty much unplayable for me. :kaoswt2: I've got a few suggestions about what I got to see, but keep in mind that I couldn't even get past the bats in the escape tunnel.
    First thing is that your demo is almost 1.5 GB! That's way too big for a demo (and possibly un-downloadable for people who have bad internet), please make sure that you're cutting out any music or graphics that the game isn't using to get the game demo as small as you can.

Why doesn't the spacebar work? I always use it to move dialogue and choices forward in other games, so it just feels odd to me that it seems to do nothing in your game. I see that it's set to be 'jump' in the keyboard option, but it doesn't actually seem to make me jump.

You're using a ton of plugins I'm guessing, which isn't a great idea if this is your first game. It's easy to want a lot of cool features in your game, but if you don't adjust the parameters in them to fit your game then the plugins add nothing to the game. I guessed about the plugins because I got a game over during the intro (I just love to test what happens when I say 'no' to things in games) and it send me to this title screen:
    the title screen for a totally different game apparently.png
    And the Credits page has nothing to do with Rosalyn's Journey, so I assume you're building off someone else's project file for plugins. It'd be a good idea to go through your plugins and decide which ones you have to have and tweak them so they add to your game, and just toss all the other plugins. Having things like a quest journal is quite nice for players, but only if you add in quests right from the start.

Please find someone to help you with spelling and grammar. Currently you've got a lot of mistakes that make the whole game feel less polished, many 'I's aren't capitalized and 'there' is often replaced with the incorrect 'their'. Correct spelling can really help keep people playing a game, since mistakes like that can have players think that you've put less effort into your game than you actually have.

Voice acting is a nice extra touch in some games, but I don't think it should be a priority when starting out. There're plenty of times that you may need to tweak the dialogue to get it just right, and if you record the voices early then you'll have to get it re-recorded. The deity at the beginning having a voice is neat, but her voice is kinda hard to hear since it's too quiet compared to the music so all I can think is that she's trapped in a salad bowl far from the microphone.

As I mentioned before, I couldn't fight at all since the game pretty much died whenever a battle tried to start, it drops to 1-2 fps and even if I had the option about fps in the options menu turned on it still didn't seem to help. I don't know if it's just my computer or what, but since I usually don't have any issues running rpg maker games I assume it's an issue with a plugin. I left it running in the background and it seemed to finally load the battle after a couple minutes of a black screen, but after that wait I just wasn't interested in actually battling. :kaodes: It does seem to get a bit better after the first few times took ages, so I may try to power through some battles later but it's still painful to have such a slow start to the battles.

Overall I couldn't really get a good feeling for the game since I couldn't play much. I enjoy the basic idea of taking over someone else's body, but I couldn't play enough to tell if it was actually fun. I do think that you should take another look at your plugins and make sure that you're only using ones that improve your game as a whole, and not just add coolness (also, get rid of whatever plugin kills the battle start fps).

5. saruha

saruha Warper Member

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    holy mother of QAQ thankyou so much for all yourfeedback, i have a monster computer so i didnt know the game was hard to run, i'll work on optimizing it better for sure, i was aware of the spelling mistake and im planing and making enouph game that i could call it a chapter 1 and then go back and fix everything (and by me going back i meen getting my mother to fix it all for me cause im jsut a bad speller in generla lol XD) as for the voice acting its no problem for me to record it (ive rerecorded it a couple times already) i just go ito my closet and do a couple lines and it takes no time at all, and im only planing on having the beggining voiced because it would be to much work to voice the whole game, sorry for rambling but thankyou so much for finding some issues for me, i'll work on fixing them as soon as i can. (im unablievably happy and i realy am sorry you couldnt play to far threw it)