RMMZ Rose Engine[Easy 3D Game builder] MV & MZ - Followers Added !!!

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Like I was saying a tactical battle system like final fantasy tactics is the only case I see this can be useful for battle. but I still think this would be great for exploration as it adds a level of depth in which developers can hide secret items and really make scenes in the game have more of a scale in the size of the world. if you haven't seen or played breath of fire 4 I highly suggest you look it up. That game is a masterpiece.
As I have personal stake in developing games built in tactical battle systems, that was basically the only use case I was thinking of lol

Possibly tower defense as well.

JosephSeraph

White Mage
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Like I was saying a tactical battle system like final fantasy tactics is the only case I see this can be useful for battle.
Mechanically, there's a lot of possibilities that the introduction of a real Z-Axis can introduce, as well as the expanded field of view from having the Y-axis take a smaller portion of the screen (due to the viewing angle)

But it also opens up an enormous amount of potential for visuals / art direction alone! Especially when coupled with Effekseer since the particles already exist in 3D space. Think about all the pretty art direction things people could get to make within MZ, I know I'm itching to try a thousand different directions with 3D battlefields. The exciting camera work of a game like Valkyrie Profile set in a diorama-like plane, the dramatic swooping transitions of a Golden Sun or Beyond the Beyond...
if you haven't seen or played breath of fire 4 I highly suggest you look it up. That game is a masterpiece.
And that's my point with the second paragraph, Breath of Fire 4 would be kind of weird if the exploration was 3D then suddenly skipped to 2D battles XD
I can see a game with simpler sprites doing that just fine, though. It's just BoF4's map sprites are so breathtakingly well animated it would be weird to do it any other way.

thisissomethingivewantedforoven10yearsandi'msoexcitedthatit'sfinallybecomingtangible

ToastyCheese

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mechanically, there's a lot of possibilities that the introduction of a real Z-Axis can introduce, as well as the expanded field of view from having the Y-axis take a smaller portion of the screen (due to the viewing angle)

But it also opens up an enormous amount of potential for visuals / art direction alone! Especially when coupled with Effekseer since the particles already exist in 3D space. Think about all the pretty art direction things people could get to make within MZ, I know I'm itching to try a thousand different directions with 3D battlefields. The exciting camera work of a game like Valkyrie Profile set in a diorama-like plane, the dramatic swooping transitions of a Golden Sun or Beyond the Beyond...

And that's my point with the second paragraph, Breath of Fire 4 would be kind of weird if the exploration was 3D then suddenly skipped to 2D battles XD
I can see a game with simpler sprites doing that just fine, though. It's just BoF4's map sprites are so breathtakingly well animated it would be weird to do it any other way.

thisissomethingivewantedforoven10yearsandi'msoexcitedthatit'sfinallybecomingtangible

Oh heavens, the battle scene being rendered in proper 3d would solve almost every problem I have with the Effekseer integration right now.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First of all thanks for all feedback guys ._. I'm regretful to say progress this last week has been pretty slow...

Life, what can you do lol, but next week should be a bit more productive, on the bright side, I've begun working on implementing A tiles, it's been a little tricky figuring out how I would make them work in 3D space, but I've got a decent idea on how itll work now, so hopefully my next post will be a bit more exciting.

Also to answer a few questions( and address a few posts )!

@JosephSeraph Good god, I hope this doesn't take two years! I have most of the code written already, I just need to tie the pieces together, I see this taking about about 6~12 months at most( 1~2 months for an alpha build ), :x at least for the stable release( at least if I don't have anymore setbacks D; ). The most time consuming part thus far has been writing the UI for the stage builder scene. :( also, I don't like writing UI's( I'm not good at it, and I find it boring D; which could also be why I'm not good at it T_T ).

Yes, the elfkisser integration was one of the things I drastically wanted to add in as well, it's kind of weird seeing a 3D animation play on a 2D sprite especially when there's no sense of depth, and the parts of the animation that should be rendered behind the sprite are rendered in front of it still. :/

Allow me to clarify on the games mentioned, sorry for the confusion, Star Ocean: a second story, the world map is 3D, and battles as well, Final Fantasy tactics, rendered in 3D, however it utilizes a orthographic camera( which this plugin includes the feature for :D ), and tales of eternia world map is fully 3D, as are the battles. ^^

@Tsukihime it's no problem at all, I intend to create a sort of "spriteset_3D" class, which will be utilized in both map, and battles, so it'd be not much extra work to make a map load for battle, or for maps. :D

@Lance of Longinus The 3D ABS is not a planned launch feature, but I would not say it's in the far to distant future, it should be relatively shortly after release, depending on which addon's become priority, The plugin will include full fledged collision detection by default, so a pixel movement addon, as well as ABS/platformer addons should not be so far behind.

@cyelis1224 It'd probably be possible? I don't see why not, I believe there is a formula that can be applied to the camera to achieve this however I could be wrong? I will definitely look into this. :)

and to everyone else thanks for support!! :D

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, these last few weeks have been a bit more hectic than I anticipated... but I did get around to posting an update for the rose engine. :) I recorded another video, at this point I'm really close to having an early release ready!

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got a relatively big update( not a lot to show, but huge step for the plugin in general )! It won't be long until a alpha build is released.~

Collision detection has been added to the plugin, I need to add sphere, and capsule colliders as well, but those will be relatively trivial to add at this point.

The last thing I'll add before releasing an alpha build is a character sprite, so that you can actually walk around in maps you create with the engine. :D

Here's a video of collision in action.~

Tolin42

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, that's cool... nice and what looks like quite accurate collision. I'm keeping an eye out, and look forward to playing with it a bit when you've got a public release going.

jcruise

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is so insanely cool, dude. I'm very much looking forward to it and possibly using it for a project in the future.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've got some pretty good news, and a small demo available for download!~

You can now explore maps you make with a playable character, and collision implemented.

I decided to default to grid movement( just like mv/mz uses by default ), and I'll make an addon later utilizing SAT for collision detection in an off grid movmeent plugin.

No demo of the map editor available this time, but it will be coming relatively soon. :)

You can also download the demo below, don't expect a whole game, it's just a small preview of what can be made from the rose engine!

-->Demo Download<--

I'd love to hear feedback on this if anyone decides to try it out!~

Swill

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So I've got some pretty good news, and a small demo available for download!~

You can now explore maps you make with a playable character, and collision implemented.

I decided to default to grid movement( just like mv/mz uses by default ), and I'll make an addon later utilizing SAT for collision detection in an off grid movmeent plugin.

No demo of the map editor available this time, but it will be coming relatively soon. :)

You can also download the demo below, don't expect a whole game, it's just a small preview of what can be made from the rose engine!

-->Demo Download<--

I'd love to hear feedback on this if anyone decides to try it out!~
This is great! runs really quite smooth for me!

Only real thing I noticed wrong was I was getting some pixels showing at the top of the characters frame in 3d mode as if it was showing the bottom row of the next row on the sprite sheet?

Other than that from the quick blast I had this is amazing! can't wait to see more, thanks so much for making this!

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Swill thanks for the feedback, despite how smooth it runs there's lots of optimizations that can be made to drastically improve performance :D so this plugin should be quite efficient when it's finished, even for mobile. :)

About the pixels at the top yeah, I have a fix for that it's from my fragments shader, I hope I'll have that fixed in the next preview. :x

It's because the uv's are not depicted accurately, and the textures are set to repeat themself, but I have a pretty solid fix in mind to resolve this from happening both for the player, and for tiles. :)

Again thanks for the feedback, more will be coming soon! I should have a FPS demo, and pixel movement demo available hopefully next weekend, I've got a few other things I'm trying to get done as well though, so it may be a bit late. :/

All the hard parts at this point are over, so everything else should come together rather quickly! :D

Swill

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Swill thanks for the feedback, despite how smooth it runs there's lots of optimizations that can be made to drastically improve performance :D so this plugin should be quite efficient when it's finished, even for mobile. :)

About the pixels at the top yeah, I have a fix for that it's from my fragments shader, I hope I'll have that fixed in the next preview. :x

It's because the uv's are not depicted accurately, and the textures are set to repeat themself, but I have a pretty solid fix in mind to resolve this from happening both for the player, and for tiles. :)

Again thanks for the feedback, more will be coming soon! I should have a FPS demo, and pixel movement demo available hopefully next weekend, I've got a few other things I'm trying to get done as well though, so it may be a bit late. :/

All the hard parts at this point are over, so everything else should come together rather quickly! :D
Awesome man! I hate giving feedback it feels like i'm nitpicking but I was just letting you know incase it was just a bug on my end or whether you knew anyway :)

Really looking forward to seeing the progress on the Rose engine it looks amazing!

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@chaucer
Oh man, I would love to use this in a tactical RPG type of project. Doubt LTBS would work w/ it though lol. LTBS is buggy as hell and incompatible w/ many plugins but it's still my favorite. None of the other battle systems have the depth it has.

@Tsukihime I thought the grid battle system you're working on is side-view (SV battlers). How would it work w/ this? Though if your battle system ends up being a full-fledged TBS, I may be inclined to convert. :p

(I am super sad SRPG doesn't allow for individual turn orders, hence why I don't use it)

Edit: Hmm, I wonder how FSM tilesets would look in 3D...

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Swill No need to feel bad feedback is definitely crucial at this point in time. :D

@Frostorm haha, yeah I don't think LTBS would work out of the box, I tried my hardest to keep the default rpg maker mv/mz base code as close to default as possible however, I think something of the scale of a tactical battle system will probably need a bit of work to make it work.

If no one writes a tactical battle system, I'll definitely be writing my own though, so no worries there, just it may be a little bit of a wait for that.

also I think I own some FSM tiles, if you want I can build a map with it and share some screenshots on the thread. :D

thekenbaum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
your engine looks really cool; I was wondering if you by chance have a GitHub as well?

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@thehenbaum I do have a github, but quite honestly I prefer bitbucket, this is I have all my files. :)

thekenbaum

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think it would be fun to try to do a fan remaster of the original persona games using this.
It's giving me the right feels, I might try it when this comes out.

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that'd be interesting to see lol, I should have a early alpha build of the engine up pretty soon, I'll have a new update out this weekend, so I won't spoil anything for now, but lots of progress! :)

chaucer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Got some really big news! the rose engine is in a state where I feel comfortable sharing it publicly! Please be warned there still may be some bugs and glitches here and there, but for the most part, and some features may be missing, but it's fully capable of building a full scale 3D RPG !!!

There's still lots more to do! I have a couple demo's avaiable which you can try out, no need to download! Also a headsup, this beta only offers support for MZ and not MV yet :( but MV support is coming!

just click the links below :D

Map Editor Demo

Event Map Demo

you can try out the editor( minus the ability to save maps, as well as a small map I put together to show off eventing, and camera stuffs!

If you enjoy the demo's consider picking it up on itch.io!

Itch.io Page

You can also check out the latest video, as well as the tutorial series I created to help get setup! :D

Rikyu

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thats a great improvement there since the last update.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Who would think putting a power button on a side of a laptop is a good thing? You want to move the laptop and you suddenly press the button.
The second draft of my script is almost done, and I don't think I'm going to write a third draft. I'll make changes to dialogue here and there, but I'm happy with the series of events the way they are.
How you feel about font and dialogue box changing for every main character while the minor cast and regular npc get their own styles? Too much?
Just found an obviously custom effect (i.e. edited by me) in my resources>sounds folder called "rip jaw off". Dear Lord what is wrong with me as a person that at some point I needed a sound *specifically* for THAT??
(...rhetorical question.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jasasewamobilbali