RMVXA Route 13 - A Unova Tale (Pokemon themed RPG)

Discussion in 'Game Ideas and Prototypes' started by Diarist, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Diarist

Diarist Small and bitter. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm fully expecting to get blown the F out but I suppose its time to pitch this and see how interested some folks would be. Whether its just general intrigue or wanting to help if they can.

For the record no, this is not a typical Pokemon game. It takes place in the universe. That's all. Please read the premise/setting tab for details.

So, I guess some context before I go into this. I was part of an old Pokemon RP group several years ago (2011-2012). While everyone moved on and I don't even speak with most of those people anymore, I personally was never able to let the story or characters go and over the years I'd draw them or tell little tidbits here and there just because I really did love the story and everything that much. Call me passionate I suppose.

So, fastforward to a few weeks ago, a friend of mine asked what I was up to. Told him I was listening to music, but also added on that said music was making me think of my old OCS. He wound up getting curious and wound up asking me about them, and as a result became really interested in them and the story they were a part of. A few others took interest as well since I began to draw again after over a year of quitting. They all told me I should make an RPGmaker thing to retell the events. I think they're nuts, but I would be lying if I said I didn't wanna at least try.

So with that out of the way; the premise:

Premise/Setting:
    The story takes place nearly a century after the typical timeline of the videogames and within the Unova region. Society's changed quite a lot. Pokemon, most of them anyway, have been integrated into society as actual citizens, and as a result could hold jobs, spoke human language, etc. Things like gyms, leagues, trainers, have all been completely phased out of society. Even things like legendary criminal teams have fallen into myth. Humans and Pokemon within society live as equals. However there are still plenty of Pokemon that haven't integrated themselves into society and that still live in the wild, some forming their own communities. These really weren't focused or elaborated upon since they never became plot relevant outside of a few instances.

However this new way of living brought about its own problems. Some Pokemon didn't like being equals to humans. In fact they felt they were superior, and should be the dominant race since humans don't have any power. On the other extreme end, there were humans who wanted to return to the ways of old, wishing to bring Pokemon back under their control and revive old traditions. As a result, plenty of criminal groups and outright extremists would rise up on both sides trying to achieve their goals and overturn the current shape of society.

Castelia City is our main setting, a large city teeming with life of Pokemon and Humans alike, as well as the largest criminal movements in the region. Working diligently to try and squash these uprisings and violent groups is Sector Security, the city's police force, but more importantly our protagonists; Team Ragnarok, a group consisting of a young human boy and his Pokemon friends that works closely with SS, clad in repurposed Team Rocket uniforms, the big red "R" standing for something new. Something better.

You'll be following Ragnarok as they take on threats to the city and the region as a whole. While things will seemingly start out as some gang warfare, supernatural stuff starts to to unmask its ugly face as the story goes on. What happens will change the lives of Ragnarok, the people of Castelia City, and the entire Unova region forever...

(I'm not going to go into what happens plot-wise since that'd kind of defeat the point, but if anyone does want a basic gist of the entire plot then feel free to contact me. Since it is a completely finished story. I just figured a premise and description of the setting and how the world works would be enough for context. I'll probably add to this if enough people want me to go over the events.)

[​IMG]
    (Half of an old pic of the main cast from 2014 that I still really like and still consider relevant)
    Characters:
    I'm going to leave a link to a sta.sh containing all of the art I've drawn up for the characters. This sta.sh will continually be updated as I'm creating art for every single character in the game. I'm drawing these mainly so I can find someone who can make sprites for them, but included are bios as well. If I were to post each character and bio here, this post would be ridiculously huge and hard to digest. So forgive me for using an external image and text host. This is not a self promotion, this is just the most efficient thing I could think of:

https://sta.sh/2mi8ak16ndb?edit=1

But in summation, the main cast of characters are the members of Team Ragnarok:

Sky: a human boy born in Castelia and neglected by his parents. He joined Sector Security after an attempt on his life by mysterious shadowy assailant in his youngest years, not only to become strong and survive, but to give back to the city that took such care of him.
    Wayne: a male Snivy and Sky's closest friend. He has otherworldly physical strength, but is plagued by tragic loss and an ideological conflict with his older brother Jasper.
    Flak: a male Marshtomp who is quite flippant, and quite the tease. He lost his left eye as a Mudkip in the group's first unofficial op, before the team even had a name.
    Fiora: a female Mienshao, a sweetheart to those close to her, but holds a heavy ego that she can very much back up and justify. She genuinely looks down on opponents as inferior to her. She however never lets her pride interfere with her sense of duty.
    Tabby: a female Audino, and a proficient doctor known well throughout the region. Acted as a mother figure to Sky in his younger years and keeps everyone in tip top shape. She's plagued by insomnia due to her constant worrying that something will happen that she can't fix.
    Piers: a male Chandelure, and a scientist and inventor tilting towards the zanier side of the scale. He created pretty much all of Ragnarok's equipment.

As well as many other faces, both friend and foe alike. Like I said, the sta.sh will be updated as I draw more and more character pictures. All in all expect about 11-12 more, minimum.
    Gameplay (wishes):
    I'm looking to make something very dialogue and detective RPG-ish, with some boss fights peppered inbetween. Lots of fights and random battles wouldn't have much of a place in the game since as the story went along, there weren't any fodder outside of the first set of antagonists which had some generic goons, which I plan to have the player fight in a fixed battle or two early on. But otherwise, fighting will be kept to a minimum and when they do happen, they'll be extremely character driven boss battles.
    • - For the most part you'll be playing as Sky, however there are multiple points in which Sky won't be available, or you'll be controlling other characters and seeing things from their perspective as well. Sky was outright incapacitated for nearly the entire 3rd story arc. And at one point the team splits up in order to have higher chances of one of them reaching an objective.

• - Some mechanics I'd like to add to fights if possible would be combination/group attacks. Similar to Chrono Trigger's techs, where two party members can do an attack together on a target. I feel like this would feel right gameplay wise since the characters are like a tightly knit family.

• - Something akin to the Baton Pass in Persona 5 (IE; hit an enemy with a weakness, pass on to another party member's turn afterwards to capitalize on it) could be interesting as well. Though not entirely necessary.

• - Switching party members in and out akin to Final Fantasy X's battle system (and subsequently eating that member's turn to compensate, maybe) would be nice to add since I'd like all 6 members of the team to be involved in fights if possible.

• - In the latter quarter of the story, the group splits up in order to have better chances of infiltrating an area. As a result they each get confronted by one of the antagonist teams' members. At this point, I'd like to attempt something like that part in Final Fantasy 6 where the party splits up, and you could play their parts of the story up to where they meet up again in whichever order you wish (literally being taken to a menu where you could pick who you want to play as first/next). If this isn't possible I could just have each thread happen one after another, but I felt this would be a nice touch.

• - Small thing, but the enemy sprites being animated would be nice. I don't mean that 'breathing' script you can add where the image stretches up and down. I mean just simple idling animations kind of like the party has.
    Things of note and obstacles:
    • - I'll be using RPGMaker VX ACE since 1. it was a lot cheaper and 2. it's finished being supported, any script that could exist for it would be out already. If you know any scripts that could really help the gameplay I'm trying to achieve, please feel free to let me know. I of course will be digging as well.

• - This game will not be posted publicly. It's literally being made for myself and a few friends. However if you really are interested, you're free to PM me or add me on some sort of IM (Discord and Steam are both on my profile) and I'll be willing to share so long as you don't distribute it yourself.

• - Since this game won't be public, there will not be a demo. Its not like I can even start production until I have a workable amount of character graphics for the first story arc anyway. Again if you really do wanna play it and see what I'm up to then feel free to contact me, but this is 100% a personal and passion project for myself and my friends.

• - Sprites, battlers and portraits are the biggest obstacles in my honest opinion. These aren't characters you can just create with the character generator. Everything needs to be custom made. EVERYTHING. I'm positive I can find a city and some other fitting custom made tilesets people have created (if not I can try and work my magic. Long long ago I managed to make a semi convincing futuristic setting with just the base tilesets in RPGMaker VX in an old but terrible game I finished). The biggest challenge would be recreating parts of Castelia City, of course adapted to the current setting.

• - I'm probably going to be splitting the game up into 4 separate parts, ie 4 separate games, 1 for each arc (and possibly make one for the prologue as well, where Ragnarok actually becomes a thing and takes down their first big group). I'm pretty positive RPGmaker has a map limit, I know the old VX did. I also know in the old VX if the game is a certain size people wouldn't be able to properly unpack it after its exported. I'm not sure if these have been fixed, but breaking things up into chunks like this might help me finish things as well since I can set actual goals for myself. Maybe I can have a password system or something so that people can't skip ahead to later parts or something. Though that's their choice if they want to do that I suppose. That could also get in the way/make it annoying if people want to just go back and replay their favourite arc. So who knows.

• - As a result of the above point, I'm expecting each 'part' to maybe be like 1 and a half to 2 hours each. I don't wanna drag each one out and honestly I don't think I could anyway since the story just wouldn't work out as such dragged out games. The entire RP campaign was finished in a year after all, and the story arcs themselves weren't padded out. Plus I'd rather people have a neat, concise, memorable experience than a drawn out and shallow one that's long for the sake of being long.

• - If you see any spelling or grammatical errors or awkwardness in the character bios please please let me know! I wrote them all back to back over the course of an entire day and even after some proofreading I will never catch everything. I have some really bad eyes.

• - I'm fully expecting to be torn a new rear end in a top hat and completely written off/shot down. I was very very nervous and skeptical about even posting this thread and still am. But at least I can say I tried. This forum is pretty much the only way I'm gonna be able to find an artist(s) for sprites and portraits so, I gotta at least try.

Welp, that's that. Feel free to tear me apart and tell me my idea and characters are awful, haha.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Zealraid and xdan like this.
  2. Kupotepo

Kupotepo Fantasy realist Veteran

First Language:
    Thai
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Diarist, your arts are amazing and your story sounds great.

Diarist likes this.
  3. Diarist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Oh my gosh thank you SO MUCH, you have no idea how happy that makes me ;u; <3

Kupotepo likes this.
  4. RoyalGuilds

RoyalGuilds Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    This honestly sounds interesting. Great idea and the art makes me wonder what the game would actually be like.

Diarist likes this.
  5. Diarist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Small update: More character art/bios in the sta.sh link.

Still looking for folks who would be interested in helping create sprites and portraits.

6. Diarist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I hate to double post but I wanted some people's thoughts:

Given what I'm going for regarding gameplay mechanics and features, does anyone believe I should be using MV over VXAce? Are better/more relevant plugins available for that platform?

7. MagicPizzaGuy

MagicPizzaGuy Villager Member

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have VX ACE and MV and I choose MV over ACE any day. I understand that Ace would be cheaper, but still, I prefer MV by a mile. About plugins I don't know if there are better ones for ace or mv to do the gameplay mechanics you wanted, but as far as I could see what you want to do is doable in MV with a bit of coding and help from the gods of plugins Yanfly, SumRndmDde and Moghunter, I don't know much about scripts in ACE because I don't use it anymore for quite some time

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  8. Romanticist

Romanticist Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    VX Ace has a lot of scripts of which you won't find equivalent plugins for in MV, while MV has a lot of plugins of which you won't find equivalent scripts for in VX Ace. I happen to have found more scripts for VX Ace than plugins for MV that suit my needs, and I like the 32x32 tilesize a lot more than 48x48, so I personally recommend VX Ace.

9. Diarist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    A big reason why I wanna stick with VXAce as well is cus of the massive library i'd imagine is available, yeah. For all I know stuff for MV that I want might not be made yet, plus I have some experience with the og VX, so familiar territory, kind of. Plus VXAce is done being supported as far as I know so, no new patches that might mess with progress--

10. Diarist

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And forgive me for the double post but the character gallery's been updated yet again. I believe I've done pretty much everything for the first story arc.

11. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    @Diarist If you want to add something to your post please use the 'Edit' button to do so.