RMMV Royal Odyssey: Foundation [IGMC 2017]

Discussion in 'Completed Games' started by Dalph, Nov 6, 2017.

?

Who is your favourite character?

1. Princess Emily

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. General Gustav

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Marsha

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The Villain [NO SPOILERS]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Queen Leona

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Prince Sebastian

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  7. Rowena

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Other (please specify)

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph (RM Tyrant - Overlord of Memes)™

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]
    A tale of honour, heroism and sacrifice, dug from the depths of legends and myths.

A story that has survived several centuries.

Come, follow the tale of Aemilia Valentia, a Princess being forced to embrace a long journey as the Queen sends her to safety.

The tide of war is now turned against her kingdom, and the future of the country is at serious risk.

Royal Odyssey: Foundation is a board game-memory game-rpg-hybrid-thing that features a 4 areas board game styled dungeons with rpg component, 2 custom battle systems and a Moral System that affects the outcome of the battles depending on your skills.

The game is part of Angoraverse, a fictional universe I created for my games.

[​IMG]
    • Custom Battle System based on types of attacks that you can guess by looking at the enemies formation.
    • 3 types of attacks: Slash, Strike, Pierce. Each one stronger and weaker than the other.
    • Moral System that will rewards or punish the player according to how they perform in normal monster encounters.
    • Training Points (TP) that you can earn by being victorious in fights and that you can spend to improve your stats and abilities.
    • A second Custom Battle System based on memory and focus.
    • RNG Board Game Gameplay with RPG component and several different tile effects indicated by their icons.
    • Overused Emotion balloon icons (always).
    • Both serious and humourous storyline with over 20 minutes of dynamic and entertaining cutscenes.
    [​IMG]
    1-3 hours.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Follow the Tutorials ingame.
    • Be sure to memorize this pattern (it appears in every normal battle too as an image so don't worry) and it'll save your life. Sword beats Arrow that beats Spear that beats Sword [LOOP]
    • Sometimes you might be fortunate enough to find TPs as you go on specific tiles, and without fighting at all.
    • You can save and load anytime in the Options Menu.
    ATTACK TYPES GUIDE
    [​IMG]

BOARD TILES GUIDE
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Selection: Arrow Keys
    Dice Roll & Confirm: Z
    Menu & Cancel: X
    Toggle Minimap: M

[​IMG]
    This game has been made in 2 weeks using Rpg Maker MV for the IGMC 2017. It's also available here and in this page

[​IMG]
    ^ I AM A CLICKABLE IMAGE.

[​IMG]
    Writing
    Eventing
    Graphics & Sound Editing
    Mapping
    Testing
    <DALPH>

Eventing
    Scripting
    Testing
    <SUSAN>

Music
    <DRAGONIC SYMPHONY>
    <KEVIN MACLEOD>
    "Darkling" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    "Burnt Spirit" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    "The Path of the Goblin King v2" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
    Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Sound Effects
    (http://www.freesfx.co.uk)
    <KADOKAWA>

Tilesets
    <KADOKAWA>
    FSM Woods & Caves Tiles
    [Copyright](C) REFMAP
    Publisher: Degica, Co. LTD
    <PandaMaru & TheRealFusion>

Sprites
    <KADOKAWA>
    <WHTDRAGON>
    <CHALKDUST>

Plugins
    <SUSAN>
    <YANFLY>
    <GALV>

Font
    <ELSA>

Special Thanks always goes to <Susan> for annoying the hell out of me during the whole development.
    Special Thanks also goes to <slimmmeiske2> and <SwiftIllusion> for their in-depth feedback, suggestions and bug reports!

Copr. 2017 Dalph & Kadokawa
    [​IMG]
    Here's the black kitty\Marsha sprite that you can add in your signature if you want to support the game!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She will redirect whoever clicks on her to this thread, just copy-paste the whole link below in your signature to make her appear.
    Code:
    [URL='https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/royal-odyssey-foundation-igmc-2017.86767/'][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/4H2P62q.gif[/IMG][/URL]

GOOD LUCK AND HAVE FUN!

And please report any bugs.

RELEASE HISTORY

v1.0 - 05/11/17 - First Release.
    v1.0b - 11\12\17 - Various minor bug fixes, general improvements, increased the speed movement of the banner.
    v1.0c - 12\01\17 - Fixed a few typos.
    v1.0d - 12\06\17 - Increased the speed and the smoothness of the banner even more, added Quit Option to the Titlescreen, fixed a few bugs and more typos, increased the volume of a few audio files.
    v1.0e - 12\12\17 - Fixed more bugs and typos, changed the last line in the ending cutscene.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    Raol, Susan, The Stranger and 10 others like this.
  2. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Regrettably as charming and fun as the story/dialog and characters are, with many moments where I literally laughed out loud, the main systems here hold me back from being able to continue playing it.

Before moving to the positive comments I want to mention the negative comments, and this is mostly just personal opinions-the experience overall has felt very polished.
    I was excited when you mentioned board game as part of the hybrid, however it ends up using possibly my least favorite board game mechanic of all time without any engaging twist-roll a die and move. Randomness can add to the engagement of an experience and I'm certainly not against dice, but as a single player game it just ended up feeling lacking. One thing I thought could help it a bit at least would be moving the 'character location' faster, it felt like it took too long to get to the new spot and just drawn out. Though I know it adds to the tactile feeling of watching it move, I still thought it could move a bit faster.
    Also for my tastes the combat felt static. Though the enemy pattern could change each 'round' between the 3 types, once you remembered the pattern-which was the same for every enemy type-it wasn't really engaging. I did like though how as the enemies were fought off it became harder to recognize the pattern-but I think that could have been more fun with more complex patterns. With the relatively simple patterns it didn't feel very deductive, it just felt like you were flipping a coin instead when there were less enemies and the sword/arrow ended up looking the same.
    The Boss fights, though I absolutely absolutely loved their presentation, and they had some things that changed along the way, just felt like a small memory game. A creative and fun presentation, but just no satisfaction for me personally.
    Though I'll re-iterate, I appreciate the clear effort that went into the map and boss movement/battles and their creativity, it just wasn't something I could enjoy regardless.

Now, positive stuff :).
    As I mentioned at the beginning, there were moments I was literally laughing out loud because of just really fun dialog, characters and interactions/use of the environment and character movement to present each scene.
    I reached the 3rd map and short of the systems I mentioned it was consistently a joy. I especially appreciate the nice dialog boxes that moved with the characters that let you keep moving your eyes to their interactions, it helped compliment the presentation.
    The interface also is really charming overall. Simple but consistent and just nice, really liked how it all felt.

Overall if you think don't think the negative elements I mention would deter you from this, I highly recommend trying it out as it's wonderfully made, just includes systems I can't personally play through.

The Stranger, Susan and Dalph like this.
  3. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @SwiftIllusion
    Thanks for the amazing and constructive criticism Swift! You raised very good points and I agree with you. I will definitely improve on the board game mechanic, increasing the speed of the banner movement too.

Sadly we had limited time (I keep joining contests either late or I join super short ones), in fact I joined this one more than 2 weeks after the start and it was very difficult to bug-test the battle systems (since they are custom) mostly because this game is truly an eventing and coding nightmare (ok, all my games are like that so far).
    We had to make the whole thing in 2 weeks and compromise a lot, and yet life always got in the middle anyway but I'm proud that it's finished and smooth, hahahaha.
    It's not quite how I wanted it to be and that's why I plan to make a post IGMC version with more advanced systems, graphical improvements and a few secret sidequests, but overall the cake will have a similar taste story-wise.

I'm glad you enjoyed the writing and the characters, as they are part of a universe I created using the RTP as a base but taking a whole different path at the end.

If you have some more specific suggestions about how to improve the board game mechanic and make it more interesting and less boring feel free to shot me a pm anytime.
    This game is meant to be a base for something way more advanced that I plan to make as my next project.

Thanks a lot for playing! Much appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
    The Stranger, Susan and SwiftIllusion like this.
  4. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh hey version 1.0b is out and should hopefully be the final one! Here's the changelog:

v1.0b - 11\12\17 - Various minor bug fixes, general improvements, increased the speed movement of the banner.

Get it in my main post above or here.

Following both @SwiftIllusion and @Astfgl66 feedback, the movement speed of the banner has been increased by a lot, mainly to make navigation in the board maps less slow and boring, and on the top of that a few bugs have been successfully fixed (including the one that @Astfgl66 found!).

Now a small hint for potential players (in case nobody noticed):
    YOU CAN ESCAPE FROM EVERY BATTLE PRESSING THE ESC BUTTON BUT AT A PRICE!

Like I previously mentioned, this game (alongside Night of the Living Harolds) will have a remake with more complex systems, side quests and several graphical improvements, the only thing that will probably stay the same is the story.
    That's all for now, unless more bugs will pop out, the game is finally complete and I will start working on the remake very soon, @SwiftIllusion gave me some great ideas that I really want to implement in the gameplay!

Now I can finally rest and play some other entries.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. Indsh

Indsh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I like the look of this game, any attempt to subvert the original turn-based battles gets my attention and kudos, and a board game has got my head writing with mini-game ideas (that I can not indulge till I finish my game)

Enjoy your rest lol

Edit: your profile image is dope to!

6. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Indsh
    Thank you! I'm happy you find it interesting and I agree with you.
    I personally like to make unusual stuff and edit the default rm systems, it would be boring to death to use the standard bs without any tweaks.
    I have to admit though that this game might not be for everyone, it's quite niche and unusual, but I'm still proud of it and of what I managed to accomplish in such a short time (it's mostly evented and coded from scratch, I didn't use third-party plug-ins for the main systems).

I'm glad you like my avatar too. Thanks a lot for your support! :p

The Stranger, Susan and Indsh like this.
  7. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    100 downloads on itch.io! But only one comment so far there.
    Hey! Perhaps my game is so good that people are absolutely stunned by the amount of effort put into it, and are completely speechless in front of such an amazing and incredibly unique work of art!

[​IMG]

The Stranger, Susan and JGreene like this.
  8. Gallia

Gallia Global Support

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  9. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Harold is busy struggling to control his body at the moment.
    This one is about Marsha so he doesn't appear, although he might be mentioned somewhere if I remember right.
    I know it's hard to accept.

[​IMG]

The Stranger and Susan like this.
  10. Gallia

Gallia Global Support

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No Harold no play XD Deal with it hahahahaha.
    *joke*

11. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    [​IMG]

The Stranger and Susan like this.
  12. Susan

Susan Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It was a game made with a very constrained time limit (in real life, not the IGMC assigned one). We both understood that the genre was niche and ambitious but it was more about creating something we wanted to make than to win anything (no need for that, there are so many amazing entries that deserve the prizes ;), even those that sadly won't make top 3 or people's choice). I'm sorry that some bugs made it through, but I'm pretty much satisfied with what we managed to do with what little we had (time, resources and skill limitations). Probably less than half of what we wanted for the game made it through, so the game will definitely be expanded upon.

Thanks to @SwiftIllusion for your invaluable feedback, and thanks for trying the game. I'm sorry that you didn't get to finish the game. I personally like the story Dalph made. The movement speed was primarily my fault. I was already too tired to figure out that the movement was too slow and could very easily have sped it up. If you're still interested in the game, we'll let you know when we have a revamped version (not just a bugfixed one). We took your suggestions into serious consideration, and although we may not be able to implement everything, we are certainly eager to implement quite a lot of them. :kaojoy:

The Stranger, SwiftIllusion and Dalph like this.
  13. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As long as even one person enjoys my work (even not fully) it's never time wasted, and it's always experience gained.
    This game vaunts 2 custom battle systems that are made entirely from scratch, with very limited time and that are most importantly bugfree, and that's something not easy to accomplish.

Remember when a few posts ago I wrote that there won't be any more updates for this thing? Well I was wrong.
    This one SHOULD HOPEFULLY be the last update, because I found a few typos in the dialogues that I really had to fix.

Changelog for version 1.0c.

v1.0c - 12\01\17 - Fixed a few typos.

That being said, I'm happy with how Marsha and Gustav turned out to be in this game, and would like to hear people's thoughts about them too (if possible).
    Just telling me if you enjoyed my writing, humour and how I made their personalities will definitely help keeping me in the right path with them, because they will both appear in future games.

Thanks again to everyone that played Royal Odyssey.

The Stranger, SwiftIllusion and Susan like this.
  14. SwiftIllusion

SwiftIllusion Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Susan No worries at all, I'm happy to hear the feedback was valuable, and I certainly hope to come back to the evolved version of the experience :). The games you both work on have consistently enjoyable characters/dialog and overall tone so I look forward to another chance to see it all the way through.

@Dalph About those characters, I quickly got attached to both Marsha and Gustav.
    Gustav immediately gave off a mix of cool uncle/grandpa vibe alongside an experienced mentor, a great mix for sure.
    Marsha, though I didn't get to see her as for as long as Gustav gave an overall really positive initial impression. She seemed cautious of the world but ready to face it with a strong heart.
    I'd certainly like to see them both on another adventure :).

The Stranger, Dalph and Susan like this.
  15. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Hey Dalph,

I played your game, but I ran into a gamebreaking bug. :asad::asad::asad:
    I saved when I got to the second board, closed the game and later wanted to continue. However, as soon as I throw the dice, the banner ends up here.

If you want I can post my thoughts up 'till this point, but if by any chance you could fix my savefile I'd rather continue playing until the end. :awink:

16. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hey slimmm, thanks a lot for playing!
    I'm aware of that nasty bug but it's been fixed in the newest version!

Be sure to download the v1.0c (it shouldn't happen anymore there).

Not sure if your savefile will work though, probably no. Sorry about that!

The Stranger, Susan and slimmmeiske2 like this.
  17. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    Thanks for checking anyway Dalph. I've posted my findings in a review topic (currently awaiting moderation).

18. Susan

Susan Veteran

First Language:
    No idea...
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, Slimm, thanks for trying out the game and for catching the bug. It has already been fixed along with some other bug reports.
    If you can post here. or PM me or Dalph your savefile, I'll be more than happy to provide you with an updated savefile that will work with the latest version so that you can continue from where you had experienced the bug (very sorry for the inconvenience).
    I would like to suggest for you to hold off downloading the latest version that Dalph had posted so that I can add the Quit option from the titlescreen. (I used Alt-F4 way too often until I had overlooked that part, sorry about that too). :kaoback:

The Stranger, slimmmeiske2 and Dalph like this.
  19. The Stranger

The Stranger A Faceless Friend

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love how all of your games have such a fun and unique premise, @Dalph. I haven't got around to playing this one yet, due to really not being in the right frame of mind to play any games lately; I did play your last game, at long last. You and @Susan should be very proud of what you've created, even if you don't win, because it stands head and shoulders above certain commercial RM games you and I know of. :)

Just waiting for that fully fledged game you've been wanting to make. :p

Susan, slimmmeiske2 and Dalph like this.
  20. Dalph

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @The Stranger
    Thanks a lot man! And don't worry, please focus on getting better because your health is more important and always comes first!

This game is very niche, therefore many people most likely won't like it, but like I said it has quite a few of completely customized systems that I was able to make in less than 2 weeks.

It is a bit far from being what I originally wanted (because of the contest deadline) so it will have a remake with more advanced gameplay!

Thanks again for posting here, greatly appreciated.

Susan, slimmmeiske2 and The Stranger like this.