RMMV RPG 'Animated' Shorts

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by standardplayer, Oct 15, 2018.

1. standardplayer

standardplayer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I put a thread out for this years ago, but I hadn't really developed the idea much yet.

First of all, the word 'Animated' is more to give the idea of what I mean to produce. Obviously RPG Maker falls under the category of something 'Animated' to begin with.

This project would most likely use MV, although there's nothing wrong with using previous versions of the Maker.

I've always loved eventing. It's my favorite thing about working with the Maker, and I've always leaned a bit toward comedy. For a while, I've toyed with the idea of making a series of animated shorts with RPG Maker, not necessarily following any particular story arc, with most shorts containing independent settings, context, characters, etc.

I love making fake commercials and ads, for some reason I think it's hilarious. I've recorded a few of them, doing the voiceovers myself, and they've come out great. I posted a script for one in the Arts section of the forum, just because I had the script sitting around and was tired of not doing anything with it.

When I say 'shorts', I mean a scene or scenes that take between 1 and 5 minutes to show in their entirety.

I suppose the flow of it would be to show a short or 2, followed by a fake ad/fake commercial, then show a few more shorts. I'd like each 'episode' to be around 15-18 minutes.

Again, everything is self contained, there could be instances where a particular short is a continuation or at least relative to a previously featured one, but in general, they are all independent, with no overlapping theme.

This idea requires a lot of work and commitment, and I've been thinking about trying to put together the team and generate community interest. If the ball was rolling, and the community enjoyed the shorts enough, I wonder if people would be interested in featuring their resources in them, or even advertising their games. I like the idea of collaborating with the community to get feedback and/or new ideas, but still sticking with a core team at all times.

I guess my real question here isn't if anyone thinks it's a good idea, but does anyone see why it might be a bad/terrible one?

2. Finnuval

Finnuval World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I like the idea. I also think that before people will use it as a showcase for their resorces, projects, etc. will be dependend on what they've seen of it. My suggestion make one or tow 'shorts', see how they go over with the community. Does it go well? Try to make one every month or something. Then ask the latter part of your post again, if the stars allign it could become a thing.

standardplayer likes this.
  3. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply ^^

That's how I'd planned it, see if the ball would get rolling and if enough interest was generated before asking. I dunno, I really like the idea but I wanted to post it here to see if anyone could think of really good reasons not to do this project, that I wasn't seeing.

Any time I come up with an idea I try to search around and make sure no one has already done something super similar, and I always like to consider the possibility that an idea I come up with isn't really my own, and that I'm mistakenly believing it to be my own original though.

Basically, a large part of what I'd hoped to get out of this thread is that, if I was missing something or making an error, someone might say

"Hey, Standard, you're jacking so-and-so's idea, here's the link"
    or
    "How do you plan on doing x when you can't do y in RPG Maker"
    or
    "Hey Standard, you're not funny, and you post too many status updates, and you don't keep your home clean enough, and it's weird cause people think you don't want them over because you don't like them, but really you just don't feel like vacuuming cause you're lazy, and you aren't 20 anymore so if you eat 20 TastyKake Boston Cream Chocolate Iced Honey Buns in less than a week, it's gonna show"

or something like that. One of those.

4. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    well.... the third might be true? I dunno lol

Is this idea the most original? Nope, and not because I know of someone who's already doing it but it's kinda how commercials work and the idea of a short video (funny or otherwise) isn't new either... That doesn't mean it's not a good idea and if you work it from the ground up it's still yours and you wouldn't be adding to an already flooded market (as far as I know).

5. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    As long as I don't become aware of an idea that's already being worked on, especially here in the community before I really get started, I'll feel alright. I mean I'm doing satire, which is always derivative and therefore never truly original.

6. Finnuval

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    well I haven't seen it come along...yet. :)