RMMV RPG Board Game

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by chaucer, Oct 23, 2018.

1. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    A while back I had an idea to make an rpg with a theme of a board game, and over a couple weekends, on my free time I've put together a prototype of how the mechanics would work out, the current demo is pretty rough still, as it's missing a lot of functionality, but I've managed to capture for the most part exactly what it is I'm aiming for, and so I thought I'd post it in it's current state to get some feedback on what people think of it.

Game Mechanics :
    In dungeons, the player will take turns with each member of his party( there is multi player support, if playing solo, all party members except the leader will be played by CPU ). During each turn the player can choose one of four options, "Roll Dice", "Use Item", "Search", and "Escape".

When the player rolls the dice, he will move X steps forward, X being the number he rolled, this will end the players turn immediately after.

The player can use items as well during his turn, this will consist of the traditional, potions, revival items, etc, however, there will also be special items like one item that allows the player to roll the dice multiple times, to move further, or a dice that allows the player to choose what number the dice lands on. Each party member, has their own personal inventory, so player 1, can't use player 2's items, and vice versa, each player will only be able to carry 3 items, at the start, but will be able to increase this number throughout the game.

The search function, is essentially, just to look around, and see what else is in the dungeon, it also allows you to view what each tile does, incase you spot a tile you're not familiar with.

Escape will teleport the party to the entrance of the dungeon, however once the player exits the dungeon, they will have to start over from the beginning( there are exceptions, for example, after every 5 floors, is a boss stage, and after the party reaches these boss stages, they will be able to teleport directly to them ).

Each of the dungeons are based on template maps, and each dungeon you enter into will be a surprise( excluding boss maps, also at the moment I only have about 7 premade maps, so it's not very surprising lol, but theres plenty of room to add more ), not only are the dungeons randomly chosen, the tiles are as well.

Combat will also be multiplayer( this is implemented as well, multiplayer shops/item menu is not ), and will be interactive, for example, to block, you don't choose the command "block", instead, you'll have to press the back button, at the correct time, in order to block an attack. Certain skills will also require input from the player, for example one type of input, would be pressing the correct button at the correct time( the block input is working, however skill input is still in development ).

Story/Plot :
    Truth be told, I'm not very good with coming up with this kind of stuff ^^; and this is still just an idea at this point, as I've been focusing on building the mechanics of the game. But The plot that I have in mind is quite simple. A mysterious tower has appeared on the outskirts of a village( there will only be one town ), and it's begun polluting the water, and killing the plants and wild life around it, you'll be able to play through a cast of several different characters, each with different back stories( characters will be unlocked as you progress through the game, there will only be about three to choose from when the game begins, also the game won't be super story driven, so the back stories will not be the focal point of the game ). Each character will have different reasons for entering the tower( this will essentially be the dungeon of the game, and there will only be this one dungeon, however, the enviroment WILL change, for each stage, for example, floor 5~10 would be earth themed, but 11~15, will be fire themed, and 16~20 being ice themed, and so on ). The goal of the game, will be simple, to reach the final floor, and defeat the person at the top, in total, there will be 40 floors, possible a few more, in the future.

Screenshots :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Demo :

Download

2. NinJaRed

NinJaRed Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    chaucer this is AwEsOmE!!!

chaucer likes this.
  3. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've recently recieved some constructive criticism reguarding the gameplay, so heres a couple things I'm planning on doing to make things more interesting, this is also other ideas I've had planned for the project in itself.

• Make one large map instead of 5 small maps, per stage, this will allow me to expand the map a bit beyond the current size of each map.
    • Make the tiles more spaced out, for example, 2~4 steps between each tile, so that when you roll 1~2, you still have a broader range of movement.
    • Allow the player to skip CPU dice rolls, so the turns don't feel so drawn out.
    • CPU characters currently do not use items, but it is planned.
    • Add a scoring system, so that each player has a goal other than just reaching the next floor.
    • Boss encounters will also happen on the board game, and no longer in between floors.
    Just a few of the idea's I've had, and a couple suggestions I've recieved since releasing the demo. ^^ hopefully it'll make the board game mechanic feel a little more involved for the player, and less of a chore.

Edit : these have not been implemented quite yet, but will be soon. ^^; any other feedback till then is more than welcome. :D

4. onekksu

onekksu Emin Can Homalioglu Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Actually thats really a nice idea :kaoangry:

chaucer likes this.
  5. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I saw this plugin in japanese forums. Nice to see people using it to make a game.

6. chaucer

chaucer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @onekksu Thanks brother, :D I hope the newer version will be a bit more fun to play.

@eluukkanen This plugin was created solely by me, It's not yet available, but once I get it stable and more flexible, it'll get a public release. :)

Also thanks to everyone who has provided feedback.

Drifter92 likes this.
  7. eluukkanen

eluukkanen Composer Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Ah it just looked very similar to one I have seen. Keep up the good work

8. RetroExcellent

RetroExcellent Pixelated Avatar of Chaos Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This reminds me quite a bit of Dokapon Kingdom, and that is not a bad thing in any way, the world needs far more board game rpgs! I'm in support of this.

chaucer likes this.
  9. Tw0Face

Tw0Face Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I think it's a very interesting idea to combine the concept of Mario Party with a Dungeon Crawler. I played the demo for a short time and I liked it so far. I'm already looking forward to the polished version of this board game (Seriously, we need more board games!) and I will certainly give it a try as well. Anyway, to get you through your development process, I'd like to briefly show you how three out of four characters left the field during their turns.

Have fun while working on.

Greetings,
    Tw0Face

chaucer likes this.