RPG Horror: Patches

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Carillon Nightmares, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Carillon Nightmares

Carillon Nightmares One-Man Operation Veteran

First Language:
    English
    INTRO2.png

About: Patches is a one-man project surreal Horror RPG game in development inspired by Alice in Wonderland. It was based on a short story written by Carillon Nightmares and is now being translated into a Horror game for RPG Maker VX Ace. 

Genre: Puzzle, RPG 

Game Flavours: Horror, Fantasy Story: Gilbert Warrens, a young orphan boy in the Victorian Era who sees creatures and visions that no one else can see. He is mocked for his gift and the other orphans tend to stay away from him. So, he turns to the hidden creatures as friends instead. On his surreal journey he meets many different creatures such as talking night butterflies and a mysterious owl who controls time. However, not all these creatures are friendly. One, known as Mr. Raven Needlework, the Man of Surreal, invites people to a world of his own creation, and once a person enters this world, they never return to reality. Demo Features:~Chase Scenes
    ~Friendship System (Hidden, but it's there.)~Puzzles 
    ~Animations~Save Point Save System~No Battle System (It's a Horror RPG)~Custom Graphics
    ~Surreal Atmospheres ~Heavy Reading~Mild Gore
    ~Average Difficulty

Screenshots:

demoimage.png

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/zi6rk2srw322ww2/Patches+the+Rabbit.exe

Walkthrough: 

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2016
  2. AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I am travelling until tomorrow and haven't had a chance to play the demo, but wanted to comment to say I love the look of your project. The art style fots the type of surrealist edge uou're going for, and I will be keeping tabs on it as it develops! Good luck.

3. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    I'm awaiting your response on the demo. I want to get a feel for how people feel about the gameplay style. I'm working hard to develop this project as well as I can. I might submit a second demo with more content. Who knows. I just wanna get one amazing game out there.

4. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    I've just updated to version V. 1.01 with some bug fixes.

Latest Bug Fixes V 1.01:~The clip of text at the beginning is now light purple instead of pale yellow~Fixed the chandelier clipping bug~You can no longer walk over the bear on the bed~The few spelling errors are fixed~The game no longer freezes when talking to the boy by the horse while facing down.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/aw3y42f9sp5a1jp/Patches+the+Rabbit%282%29.exe

5. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Why isn't this getting more love? I think this looks very promising!

6. Kyuukon

Kyuukon 主人公 Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    *throws love*

Seriously, this looks very good! Good job :o  

7. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English

Really not sure why. Maybe it's because I haven't posted a game before. xD

Thank you~ It was a lot of work. 

gRaViJa likes this.
  8. Plueschkatze

Plueschkatze Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    First off: It looks really promising. I really like the look and feel.. the artstyle really fits that surreal and "childish" aspects BUT I think its kinda hard to read sometimes... this counts for fonts and images. You're having a contrast problem there. That's making it hard to see what's actually going on and it makes the eyes tired. I'm telling you, because I think your projects done with a lot of love and effort and shouldn't suffer from something this easy to be fixed.

I just picked the first best video from youtube to demonstrate what I mean: 

basicly... do use a greyscale filter from time to time to check the readability of your screenshots. You can also almost close your eyes to see how much you still can guess while everything is blured.

I just used a greyscale on one of your images above:

[​IMG]

I hope this makes it more clear. Can you see how hard it's to see what's going on in some parts? Like the boys hair vanishing into the wall or his body being almost one with the floor texture? In general it's a good idea to always have good contrast between the player character and the environment so they don't melt into eachother.

Same goes for your text boxes. Just use some lighter colors to make it easier to read.

for example: 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A random LOL screenshot from the web... and a greyscale version. All the environment values are pretty close, but the characters are brighter and have more saturation to really stick out.

Beside that, at the beginng of you demo playthrough theres a "character voice sound" which feels a little to loud/annoying (at least to me) after a short time, maybe you should tune it down a little.

I hope you don't mind the critic, I just took the time because I think your game really looks promising :)

Feel free to ignore my post if you think I'm talking nonsense. :p

Have a nice day~

Katze

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2016
    gRaViJa likes this.
  9. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I AM intrigued! So is this done? Orrrr??

10. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    There's a demo on the first post.

IamGilgamesh likes this.
  11. IamGilgamesh

IamGilgamesh Game Developer - Rapper Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Downloadin' it.

12. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    Good luck ^_^

Benja likes this.
  13. Benja

Benja Lead Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Hey there! I'm a sucker for rpg maker horror, do you have a banner I could promote your project with?

14. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    I don't, sadly. I only have the title screen at the top.You can crop that.

15. Benja

Benja Lead Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Found a glitch, if you talk to the kid who asks you to stop the others from fighting over the pony, while you are in between him and the pony, the game freezes. I assume it's because it tries to back up, but the pony is in the way.

16. Carillon Nightmares

First Language:
    English
    You downloaded the old version then. I posted an updated version a few messages down. Sorry.