RPG Horror Plot Ideas

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tabzeethecat, Nov 6, 2016.

1. tabzeethecat

tabzeethecat Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    So I have really been getting into horror rpgs and I really want to make one.

But. I'm stuck on ideas. Aaaah. Can someone give me some inspiration? Or ideas of getting some inspiration? 

I've been really into games like Ib, Divinity Fatum, Corpse Party, Mad Father, Misao, and a few others I can't think of at the moment. Thanks.

2. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to General Discussion. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Perhaps one place to start would be to think of the horror games you have enjoyed, and then list all the things that made them enjoyable for you.  Look to see what are the constants across all the games, or any particular stand out feature in one of them.  

This would apply to game play elements, resources, and aspects of stories.  

Once you have the "what?", then it's time to look at the "why?"  Why do you find X enjoyable?  What is it that appeals to you?  Because inspiration only really works when it hooks into something about ourselves.  People can list a whole range of things which they find inspirational, but which may not click with you.  And if it doesn't click then no amount of forcing yourself will provide the needed motivation and impetus to keep going through those times when game making can be little more than sheer hard work.  And those moments come in every game.  For some it's doing database work, for others it's mapping, or balancing or...

4. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Definitely do not force it. If want to make a horror game, all of your scary scenes should come on their own if your story has enough structure to support them. Sometimes it falls flat if you try to make a scary scene but it's so unrelated to the story or placed so randomly in the game, it fails miserably.