RPG Maker 2003 - Now Available

Discussion in 'Product Announcements and Sales' started by Lunarea, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin

Caitlin \(=^o^=)/ Kitten shall rule the world!!! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Entry: My favorite character has to be from rpg maker 2000/2003, the brown haired girl with the pinkish armor (Alissa/Alice) and that's mostly, because I used her for my first game ever.  The only person, who ever played this horrible made but had a story with potential was my father.  This character was an orphan, who raised in a Church/temple run orphanage, and was an older sister to the younger child.  She had a power that made her stand out and was kidnapped before the main character ever arrived in town.  This character makes me think of that game and my father, who I wish I had made a better game for.  But this character is someone that I still use, even if her hair color is vastly different.  ^_^

2. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Congratulations for the awesome release!

Which one of the RTP characters is your favorite and why?

Ralph
    [​IMG]
    Why? Because he's Ralph, his main strength is being open to interpretation, although I see him as a villain he can be whoever you want and without problems. You can give him any height, class, personality, backstory but there's that something that makes him look so cool and unique, I'm talking about his spiky hair, without them he won't be the same for sure. Also their colour, orange is a vibrant colour, people either love it or hate it, I read somewhere that it simbolizes adventure (and this really fits to his standard image of stereotypical hero). I like his name too, Ralph is Raul\Rodolfo in italian and it's a name that means Strong and that was always between my favourites.I also really like Noah, I think he has some serious potential to be a pretty good villain.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
    Susan, Mihel, Tuxedo Leila and 5 others like this.
  3. Vance Raehart

Vance Raehart Story writer/Aspiring Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    i bought this and haven't looked back, Huzzah!! for the release of Rm2k3 in all its glory and power. we shall Feast for 7 days and sing songs about this legendary engine for aeons to come!!

EDIT: my favorite character is in rpg maker is Sean Hannity

EDIT 2: keep having to edit. why you ask? no reason, just felt like saying sean hannity

i like aluxes. just a nostalgic hero type character i guess

4. watermark

watermark Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RM2k3 is back! Yayyy!!! Thanks to everyone who made this possible. My old copy doesn't run without glitches on the new machines so it's great that a new build is available.

My favorite character is Alex. No contest. I started with '95 but nobody from that platform really caught my attention. It was Alex from 2k that made the first impression. I mean he was so overused back in the Don Miguel days that I was so sick of seeing him in like EVERY game, but now that few of the new generation know about him, he's missed. It's great that he's coming back.

The runner up for me would the blue haired white headband girl who I don't know the official name of but I always liked to call Aislin, it's just something that sounds like her. Although her red outfit is a fashion disaster, I'll always remember her fondly as the heroine/love interest/female lead role.

For the faceset, I always thought the Japanese artist Yosio did the best interpretation:

[​IMG]

King Arthur likes this.
  5. Elemental Crisis

Elemental Crisis Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    RPG Maker 2003 was my favorite maker, glad to see it's finally gotten an official English release. I still remember filling out that survey on Don's old site ASCII/Enterbrain sent him about the possibility of seeing official English versions. Looking forward to using RM2K3 once again.

6. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    [​IMG]

Here, I've just drawn my 2 fav RTP characters! ^-^

and i changed their outfits a lot >_>

7. CriticalGames

CriticalGames Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Really happy to see an official release for RM2K3! It's a fantastic engine, and still has some of the best features of the RPG Maker series. Little bit dated for modern systems, but I'm sure many 2k3 newcomers will enjoy using it.

But what makes me even happier is the hint that a new version of RPG Maker is coming out this year!!! Hoping for a lot of good improvements (like some kind of solution for modern display resolutions). Actually, if anyone that runs the site is reading this, might I suggest that Enterbrain not hold off on the announcement too long? Simply because making a game is a very lengthy process, and I'm sure there are some people who would hold off starting a project if they know that a new and improved engine is coming (myself among them). When you're selling to developers, keeping them in the know can only be a good thing =)

King Arthur likes this.
  8. Probotector 200X

Probotector 200X Probotect and Serve Veteran

So, I was wondering. Will this get a RTP to download like the other Makers? I ask because it's a great way to preview the default graphics before buying the product. I know it's Steam only right now. Will there be a RTP to download with the normal release?

Is it okay for users to post a few screenshots for samples? I noticed from a screenshot there's about 115 default enemies. Are there really 115 enemy graphics that come with the engine?

How about overworld sprites, portraits, battles sprites, do they all match up?

9. King Arthur

King Arthur ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ Member

First Language:
    ENG / JPN
    Heard about this over on RMN's IRC channel.

Saw it on Steam.

Insta-bought like a boss.

I've waited 12 years for this day, it was totally worth it. My sincerest gratitude to the folks that made all this possible. I hope RM2K can also see an English release soon, the RM2K3 trailer including RM2K during its GCH<->RM spotlight has to mean something. <3

As for favorite RTP character, Alex hands down. He's the hero of RM2K, hero of countless games, wielder of the legendary Iron Sword, and the symbol of RPG Maker owing to RM2K's influence.

10. Rezca

Rezca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Coming from VX and VX:Ace it seems impossible doesn't it :)

Yes, there are exactly 115 unique individual monster graphics in this, and they're detailed enough to look good - though being fairly small you probably won't be using them in anything other than a side-view battle system in other maker engines heh.

There are a few like the cobra and anaconda that are technically the same THING (snakes) but their sprites are very much different. I like the Anaconda by the way, and I LOVE the DragonKnight monster's sprite. VERY cool. Put that thing in VX:ace's resolution and that'd be my #1 favorite RTP figure right there!

Complete listing (Text only) of the monsters included:

Ahriman, Alligator, Anaconda, Asura, Bahamut, Basilisk, Bat, Behemoth, Berserker, Big Foot, Byakko, Cait Sith, Carbuncle, Carmilla, Catoblepas, Centaur, Centipede, Cerberus, Chimera, Cockatrice, Crab, Crawler, Cyclops, Dark Elf, Dark Knight, Demon, Dragon Knight, Dragon, Elf, Fenrir, Gargoyle, Garuda, Gazer, Genbu, Ghost, Ghoul, Giant, Goblin, Golem, Gorgon, Grell, Griffon, Harpy, Hornet, Horse, Hydra, Ifreet, Imp, Jack-o-Lantern, Kappa, Kirin, Kobold, Kraken, Kyuubi, Lakshmi, Lamia, Leviathan, Lich, Lilith, Lizard, Lizardman, Mammoth, Manticore, Mantis, Medusa, Midgardsormr, Mimic, Minotaur, Mummy, Necromancer, Nepenthes, Octopus, Odin, Ogre, Oni, Orc, Ouroboros, Parasite, Phoenix, Quetzalcoatl, Remora, Ryuu, Sahagin, Salamander, Satan, Scorpion, Scylla, Seraphim, Shadow, Shark, Siren, Skeleton, Slime, Snake, Sorcerer, Spectre, Sphinx, Spirit, Suzaku, Sylph, Tarantula, Tiamat, Titan, Toad, Treant, Troll, Undead Knight, Unicorn, Vampire, Werewolf, Wight, Worm, Wraith, Wyvern, Zombie

11. King Arthur

First Language:
    ENG / JPN
    The original Japanese release of RM2K3 came complete with a beastiary of the RTP monsters (basically a collection of local HTML pages, I still have it to this day), the old days truly were the golden age.

12. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    Wow, I can't believe this Maker gets a revival. I guess, why not? :)

I started with the RPG Maker 95 back waaay back in the days. Never got the chance to try out the 2003 one.

My favorite character is Ulrika. I like a strong female character.

13. Rezca

Rezca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Would have been neat if they had included that as well, but I'm still happy enough with the program itself <3

14. King Arthur

First Language:
    ENG / JPN
    While I'm fairly sure Ness/Cherry and co. already have the files should they need it, I'd be more than happy to provide an archive of the bestiary to them if they need it. It'd make for a neat free DLC or something, I think.

15. Iavra

Iavra Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Yeah, it was called Fantasy Picture Book in the translated version...still have that one here, too ^^

16. Juunanagou

Juunanagou Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Entry: I like the green haired guy from XP, the fighter-04. Depsite the battler, I always imaginated him like an handsome guy like Terence from Ace. Dunno why. I like long hair dudes I guess XD If it has to be a RTP character with a name...well I suppose terence will do then :D

17. Mako

Mako Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Rights are not included in purchase? Or rights are? this hints at they are not... clarification please?

18. EternalShadow

EternalShadow Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Included

EDIT: Subject to the rights of the materials used (RTP is included with purchase)

Mako likes this.
  19. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

You can sell games created with RM2K3 as long as you've legally purchased the engine, have the rights to the non-RTP materials you're using and have followed the registration procedure outlined in the EULA. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
    Bonkers likes this.
  20. Warpmind

Warpmind Twisted Genius Veteran

First Language:
    Norwegian
    Wait, registration procedure outlined in the EULA?

Did I miss something in the wall of text about registration? o_O

Marquise* likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.