RPG Maker 2003 tilesets to MV?

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by Wrongful, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Wrongful

Wrongful $ sudo ./help_pls.sh Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been Googling around about this for a while now, and all I've found are some threads that died before the question could be answered, along with some app that doesn't really seem to help.
    What's the simplest, easiest way that I could convert some tilesets from 2k3 to MV?

2. djDarkX

djDarkX Retro & Remastered Music Guru Veteran

First Language:
    Music
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Image editing. That I know of, there aren't any converters out there that can do that sort of thing. You'd need to import them into an image editor of choice, upscale by 3x (Nearest Neighbor if you want to preserve the pixels) and bam, but be sure to convert the autotiles as well.

3. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

4. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Sadly there's nothing that makes the rearrangement part quicker, unless you're willing to code it out in GIMP or have Photoshop and use Actions. You'll have the most trouble with autotiles, since the format is completely different. 2k3 has a similar autotile setup to XP, so just squishing them down into the MV format is likely to result in tiling errors. It'll work out easier if you get that sorted before you upscale, though testing if it's working will be harder to do outside of MV. I have a template for Pyxel Edit that would make that part easier, but if you aren't planning on redrawing anything buying the program wouldn't be worth it.

If you're wanting the default 2k3 tiles or another set that's freely available in MV format you might want to ask over in Resource Requests if anyone has already done it before you put in the work yourself. FYI, 2k3 had a lot of rip sets back in the day, those are not free to use and we do not support rips here.