Event RPG Maker 28th Birthday : Release Something Event

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by Archeia, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

[​IMG]

It's RPG Maker's birthday and you're invited to join in the celebration!

Both RMN and RMW are hosting a dual event that is known in both communities - a Release Something event!

The aim is to release a game - either complete or demo - before the end of the event... but there's a twist! You are also encouraged to release a trailer of your own, or someone else's, games!

If you manage to release something by the end of the event on RMN you'll receive a special badge worth 75 MS! If you manage to release something on RMW you'll receive a special badge as well! In addition to these badges, there are prizes for different category winners, as drawn by random.

After this event we'll also be running an event to play and review the games that are released for this one, so look forward to it!

[​IMG]

- Release either a new demo, completed game or trailer for your own/someone else's game before the end of the event!
    - All releases must have had significant progress made during the event timeline - no taking an old demo or game download and re-releasing it!
    - The event starts on the 8th of February.
    - The event ends on the 11th of March.
    - As this is the birthday for RPG Maker, games must be made in an RPG Maker engine. This includes the games that trailers are made for.

[​IMG]

Yes, there are prizes! Degica has been kind enough to share the love! How do you get these prizes? Simple!

A lotto will be held for each category, and you may compete in any category as many times as you like (though rules do apply). At the end of the event a name will be randomly picked from the entries for each category and that person will receive the prize. If the winner in question doesn't want the prize, another name will be drawn at random until such time as the prize has been gifted.

The prizes differ for each category.

Adding Submissions to RMW

Adding Submissions to RMN - A Simple Guide
    First, sign up to the event by scrolling to the end of the page and adding your information. If you are working in a team, be sure to head to the top and click on My Team after signing up and add names there.

● Add a game page to the site. To do this, hover over Submission on the black bar at the top of the page and click on Submit Game in the menu that drops down. Fill in the required information on the next few pages, taking care to read the directions required.

● You will have to wait 24-72 hours before it gets either accepted or rejected. (The submissions staff will be around more frequently to handle the increased volume.) If rejected, don’t stress - just change what you’re told to in the PM you get back from submissions staff and resubmit. As long as your grammar and spelling in the description is decent, there’s enough of a description, the mapping looks up to scratch and it abides by the submission rules and guidelines, it should be accepted.

● Of special note, please remember to add at least three different screenshots for your game profile. They should ideally show off the best your game has to offer the player without spoiling. Shots that won't be approved or counted in the three necessary: ones of the same map with different text; bland, empty maps with no details; ones containing terrible graphics that clash horribly; Title or Game Over screens.

● When the game page is accepted, you can add pages and downloads. To do this, hover over your name in the top bar and click on the Manage Games link. Choose your game and on the top left you’ll find some options. You can add a download, blogs, pages and more images via this area.

● Either create your media page or add your download.

Downloads - These should ideally be either zipped files (you can download winzip or winrar for free on their sites) or packaged in the auto-compression of the later engines (XP, VX and Ace have this option. 2k3 and 2k also have this option but sometimes they don’t work.)

Downloads - Choose the file from your computer and allow it to load. You can also host off-site by choosing to add a download link instead of a download file, but since RMN has free hosting for game files, it’s generally preferred that people host on site. It does take a while for RMN to upload, though, so be prepared for a wait if your file is quite large.

Downloads - Once your game is uploaded, come back to this page and click on the Manage Submissions/Submit link in the top-right of the page and choose your download from the drop-down menu. Easy done~

Media - Go to your game page's public profile (this is the page that everyone will be able to see) and click on the Submit Media link under the Header (left side). Add in the media (you can make it pretty, we won’t mind! ^.~ ). Don't mix your media - if you’re making a trailer and promo/concept art, make a page for the trailer and a separate one for the art. This way it will be easier for those who wish to check it out to find them and make it easier if you want to have media spread over different game profiles.

Media - Make sure that the Game Lead is the one who adds the media page as I believe there's an approval process for others adding Media. This will cut down time waiting for your submission to be added.

Media - Head to this page and click on the Submit/Manage Submissions link in the top-right corner of the page. Choose the type and pick the media page that you created.

NOTE: We reserve the right to pull any entries from any category at any time if it is believed that someone is trying to game the system in any way. We want to make this fair for people and to have fun, after all!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  2. Silenity

Silenity Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Happy birthday RPGMaker! <3

Maxii03, Snow White and Archeia like this.
  3. TheoAllen

TheoAllen Self-proclaimed jack of all trades Veteran

First Language:
    Indonesian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm slightly confused with the boss battle. Do you need to create a new boss battle from a project (i.e, updating the game), or do you need to make a separate project that only featuring a boss battle itself (overall game looks, and features are same, just shorter version for a particular boss battle)?

Zarsla, Archeia and Matseb2611 like this.
  4. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Marsigne, Stanley, Archeia and 5 others like this.
  5. elpeleq42

elpeleq42 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If I'm working in a game, that I never posted here or anywhere else, and post it during the event, does it count?Even if I worked on it a lot more before that event started than now?

Archeia likes this.
  6. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Happy B-day RPG Maker! :kaoluv:

@Archeia, can we use updated game from ICGM2017 then?

Anyway....I am the only one who see yaoi in the air?!

Attached Files:

Project CROSS, tykerm and Archeia like this.
  7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Yep just release something for a game you're working on! It doesn't have to be made from scratch. The point is release something!!!

hatchetgirl and fizzly like this.
  8. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    If you're submitting to the boss battle category you will need to showcase just the battle in it's own mini project so that people can play it on it's own, even if it's in the demo/full game you end up releasing.

Yes, it will count. It doesn't need to have been shown off anywhere beforehand. You may also make a whole new project, too. And yes, you can have worked on that project before this month. You just need to have put in substantial work over this month.

9. Diretooth

Diretooth Lv. 23 Werewolf Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    For the boss battle, could we simply have an event that leads directly to it in the demo/full game?

Archeia likes this.
  10. Nutty171

Nutty171 Officially a lurker Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Could you please put this on the banner on the front page? ^^;

Archeia likes this.
  11. Frogboy

Frogboy I'm not weak to fire Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Neat. I hope I can finish up my plugin in time to work on something for this. Shame there's no plugin category.

Zarsla and Archeia like this.
  12. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh! I've just started work on an idea I've had for a long while. Maybe this is the kick-in-the-pants I need to actually make significant progress on it!

hatchetgirl and Archeia like this.
  13. slimmmeiske2

slimmmeiske2 Little Red Riding Hood Moderator

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    I was literally just telling @Scythuz yesterday that I was lacking motivation to work on anything. Maybe this will help keep my focus. Not sure if it helps that I have too many projects to choose from :p

Who drew the banner btw? Was that you @Archeia ?

Snow White, Archeia, mlogan and 2 others like this.
  14. Jesse - PVGames

Jesse - PVGames Game and Graphics Developer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Man, has it been that long? Wow!

I remember playing around with RPG Maker when I was kid... I want to say it was RPG Maker Tsukūru Dante 98, though it might have been RPG Maker 95. Either way, it was a loooong time ago.

Here's hoping for another 28 years :)

15. Miss Nile

Miss Nile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Egyptian Arabic
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    RPG Maker has been around for 28 years? XD

I wish this event came on a little bit later, so I could have actually started working on the project I have in mind. XD I doubt I'll be able to actually start let alone release anything, but I hope this event pushes people forward. :kaopride:

Marsigne, Snow White and Archeia like this.
  16. Joker101

Joker101 Witherwell Archivist Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is going to be fun! Can't wait to see how everyone's entries turn out!

Archeia and Eterna like this.
  17. Llareian

Llareian Jack of All Trades, Master of None Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh man, I'm so excited and I want to release a demo, but my baby is due March 4th! (and will probably come early)

Maybe I will work on a trailer for someone else's game...if I do, does that mean I need to ask the game author to include it in their project page with [RSW] in the title?

Also, what is RMN? Is that another site? (I generally avoid noticing those non-official sites. :p)

Or I could do maps! Oooh, so many choices...:kaoluv:

Zarsla and Archeia like this.
  18. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Yes, RMN is a separate site, and although it's unofficial we consider it a sister site. They have a different focus than us. We're more about the tools and resources to make a game, they're more about the games on an individual level and the finished results. Worth checking out.

19. Richard John S

Richard John S Rpg Maker Music Pack Contributer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Happy Birthday, RPG Maker! I've been a fan since I was like 12 years old.

Snow White, kaukusaki and Archeia like this.
  20. Ksi

Ksi ~RTP Princess~ Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Daww, we love you all too. ;p

But yeah, RMN is a site that has had a lot of history with RMW and we have a lot of crossover in not only members but also interacting in various ways - from shop products to behind-scenes support to running events together. Sisters forever~<3

Marsigne, Snow White, mlogan and 2 others like this.