RPG Maker 2k3 - play Animation while common event is processing AND THAT COMMON EVENT CONTAINS A WAI

vergilkilla

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello All. 

I have a common event that starts a timer, waits 0.5s, then starts another timer. 

Before I call this common event from a battle event, I play an animation (from the Battle Event - because this is the only way to reliably show an animation in battle - common events seem to play battle animation sound file, but do not display in battle)

So the battle event is:

Battle event {
>Show Anim
>Call Common Event
}

The intent is that the animation will play SIMULTANEOUS to the common event processing -. I have set the common event to a "Parallel Process" with this intent in mind.

The problem is it only KIND OF works. It has a very specific issue - the common event executes normally until it hits the "Wait 0.5s" - when it hits that Wait command, it does not resume execution until the animation triggered by the battle event ends (a time period much longer than 0.5s).

So to reiterate, what currently happens is:

• The animation plays as triggered from the battle event
  • The first timer starts (I've displayed it on-screen to confirm). This part is working fine - the timer starts despite the animation playing simultaneously.
  • When the common event hits the "Wait 0.5s", it waits for the animation to complete! Even if the animation has another full 1 second of execution and I've set the wait to 0.1s, or 0.2s, whatever.... it still does not continue execution onto the next line of the common event until that animation is completely done playing. If I remove the wait, both timers show up fine. The problem is that I need the wait in there - it is being used as an offset between the timers that I then evaluate later (long story).
Does anybody know why this is? Is there any way to work around this? This is sort of the last difficult thing I want to do with the battle system - I'll be ecstatic if I can get this to work because the rest is all easy stuff in comparison.

Thanks,
Vergi

Last edited by a moderator:

Felix Trapper

old fogey
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not sure how to fix that exact issue, it seems like a limitation of the way RM2K3 processes those commands. 

I suspect you are working on a timed-hits battle system. Have you experimented with the Key Input Processing and storing the amount of time it takes to push the button to a variable?

muramasa

Abomination of life, or life itself.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
At the "Show Battle Animation" window, there is a check that says something about stopping processing. Is that checked? If not, then the Wait command is somehow causing the animation to stop processing until it ends, just how it should do when that check is marked.

I remember having problems with these things, and I don't remember what did I do to fix them, or if I just gave up "orz.

MirageV

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Uncheck 'wait for animation' in the show battle animation window, and instead, put a seperate wait under the command. This should stop any wait spikes after the battle animation finishes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I made a lot of progress on the 2nd stage of my game. Only 10 levels but it took over a week to design and implement. Cant wait to share more info.
Decided to focus on mapping for once. I've pumped out 15* new maps over the past two days' work, including two larger ones that involved some kinda fancy parallax stuff.

*should actually be 17 by the end of the night.
its been a while help
About to go live with a drawpile stream! Me and some fellow artists will be drawing things based off of prompts!
If I post an item for sale on fb for $750 and say it's in excellent condition, what is going through someone's mind to make them think it is remotely acceptable to offer $300 for it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GotTheJoy