RPG Maker Birthday Bash!

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Lunarea, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Skyforger Looks cool, I will definitely be playing it :D

Skyforger likes this.
  2. Enhanced Star

Enhanced Star Hyper Fox RPG Member

First Language:
    English
    My game project is finished on March 13th + I fixed the my game.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2016
  3. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Will we be getting the mini pack sometime next week or will it be after another time sensitive event?

4. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Same, I will update my demo as soon as I can after fixing and balancing some stuff.

Then later when I will extend the story, post it in the project sub forum.

5. Lunarea

Lunarea Artist Global Mod

My plan is to send it off to you lucky winners sometime within the next 2 weeks!

I'm taking the rest of the day to look/play through the entries and will be posting the weekly winner picks as well as some extra goodies asap.

Congratulations to all who finished, and a big thank you to everyone who participated! Hopefully, this was a learning experience across the board and your next game will be better for it. :)

Lars Ulrika, Idril, Marsigne and 8 others like this.
  6. Gothic Lolita

Gothic Lolita YouTube Starlet Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yup, congratulation for everyone who finished. :D
    Sadly my PC decided to let me no longer testplay or play with RGSS3 Player...
    Well, maybe next time. :D (\s/)

7. Past Midnight Gaming

Past Midnight Gaming The Midnight Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My game is done-ish. due to my late night work sessions i forgot to test the dungeon itself. it works but its not working the way i wanted. that and for some reason my characters are unable to equip  weapons. -.- i'm fixxing the dungeon but have no clue whats the equipment problem is or how to solve it. everything else works which is a blessing.

8. DamianCastaway

DamianCastaway Notepad++ Warrior Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    *Sits politely beside his abomination.*

It is done to my liking (101%). I guess I really cannot complain. Ultimately the only real thing that matters was that I had fun making it and learned a lot about mapping in the process (And using Variables to track game progress). 

9. Zortik

Zortik The Architect Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It was a fun event. Congratulations to everyone who participated and finished and a huge thank you to those valuable testers that took the time to play.

Once things settle down for me I'd like to look over the submissions and try my best to give some of them a try as well. Might take a while, but late attention is still better than none ^_^

Nikoback likes this.
  10. Nirwanda

Nirwanda Procrastimancer Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It was a fantastic experience for me, Not only did I made my first two games (well, one and a quarter) but I learned what I was capable of and has tons of fun doing it. I feel that was the real prize of this event.

Like @Zortiksaid, congratulations to everyone who participated. And let's have a toast for another year of RM. :D

Lars Ulrika likes this.
  11. Jericho Swain

Jericho Swain Noxus Tyrant Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I watched a few a Twitch Channels on the Birthday Bash Games and guys seriously, this event is suppose to be fun and some of you are taking this reaaaaaally seriously to the point of talking negatively about a few games (ex: this game is -bomb- dumb). Don't get me wrong here, criticism is good but only "good" criticism is good. I mean come on, this suppose to be fun and no is being graded on perfection plus no game is perfect and for some, that may have been their first game. Leave the bad comments to yourself because you may be breaking a fellow RPG Maker's spirit and that is no way to act towards a beginner.

12. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Also the games were done in less than a month, so I don't think expecting them to be super amazing or anything is really that fair.

13. Makio-Kuta

Makio-Kuta Canadian Goose Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So far the games that I played were all really well done! I was rather impressed, especially since many were people's first finished games. That's what I love about events like these - where the stress isn't super high and the goal isn't outlandish. You always see people putting out their first games and you see a lot of quirky/interesting concepts being made to fit the short time allotted.

I hope anyone who received hurtful, nonconstructive comments can look past them and realize what you've REALLY done here. Because, hey! You finished a game. Anyone in this community knows that that is the hardest thing to do. That is the biggest hurdle we all face. Finishing a game is HARD and just being able to say you have a finished game is the biggest darn accomplishment possible.

Unfortunately, putting something online and sharing it with the world can lead to getting negative feedback, both useful and not. And I know, too, that that is not an easy thing to stomach. It is very hard! (almost as hard as finishing a game! but not quite) And sometimes it makes you second guess - Why did I make this in the first place? Why did I share this piece of me? Why did I put my time into this for THAT?

But you did it because you wanted to accomplish something, and gosh darn, every single one of you who finished your game (on time or not!) did just that. You accomplished the hardest thing.

So punt the haters aside you a second, look yourself in the mirror, pat yourself on the back, and tell yourself how AWESOME you are for accomplishing that goal. Because you are all awesome! And I really hope every one of you knows that. <3 <3

Lars Ulrika, Nikoback, Idril and 7 others like this.
  14. Bonkers

Bonkers Bioware, do you need a nap? Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You also have to consider that just like people take different approaches to game making, they take different approaches to criticism.

What these people are saying to other's games they have said to themselves, so there is little reservation in cantor.

People didn't hold back; and they expect a certain amount of effort regardless of the time involved.  It doesn't matter if it's the first game or fifth.

For those of us who work in game dev we take what we can from it, and move on.  The individual giving the criticism becomes less important than what is actually being said.  

I won't go into it into too much detail, as I don't want to derail the thread.

I've been taking a look at some of the games and their  let's plays so I am hoping this weekend I'll finally get a chance to play them myself.

I gained enough experience here to feel it will benefit not only me during the future for the IGMC, but for my workshop to help others.  Very happy I participated. 

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2016
    Susan, Skyforger and Makio-Kuta like this.
  15. HeathRiley

HeathRiley Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi Idril, I'd love to take you up on the offer. I apologize that it's the first game I've made but would like to hear what works and what could be better. Or if you have any tips. 

The post link is:

If I could change anything I'd have made a tutorial for the gear upgrades and gem abilities to help the player and show that some elements are more effective against some enemies. 

It's pretty easy I just made sure you couldn't win by spamming attack on bosses, about 15-20 minutes long.

Thank you in advance. :)

Idril likes this.
  16. Chaos17

Chaos17 Dreamer Veteran

First Language:
    French

Haha, I hope no streamers tested my demo before I finished to tune it up today XD

Otherwise, I can imagine them swearing, lol (which I totaly deserved for the first version I released, lol)

17. Idril

Idril Widdershins Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @HeathRiley I will add it to my (ever-growing) list of games I am going to play over the next few days :D No problem with it being your first game, my Birthday Bash game is my first completed as well.

HeathRiley likes this.
  18. HeathRiley

HeathRiley Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    @Idril Thanks so much! There is so much to learn with rpgmaker >.>;; I gave yours try yesterday and +1d your post. It was good especially if it was your first as well! :) (I'm glad to know I'm not the only one)

Idril likes this.
  19. Lars Ulrika

Lars Ulrika I punch Therefore I am Harvest the land Taking the Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I have a question : if we do further updates of our games now the deadline is passed, shall we post them in a topic in projects section or in our post on birthday bash section?

Nikoback likes this.
  20. Nikoback

Nikoback Amateur Game Designer @ Nikoback Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I just released a new version of Deceived Voice and I'm putting it in the original topic I made for Birthday Bash, so unless you're completely redoing the game or giving it a massive overhaul, it probably doesn't need another thread.