Admin
Admin
Reaction score
First Language
RPG Maker
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RMW2020_RMW商品ページ_en.png

It's time to celebrate RPG Maker Day with a new challenge!

Of course, we all love our epic 80 hour RPGs, but let’s be honest here: we know what is the best part.

Wait, no, what do you MEAN the story and amazing battle mechanics are the best part? You mean we don’t just all play them for the mini-games?

Whether they take center stage or are a sideroom parlour game, mini-games are a perfect addition to many games. A great way to break up the possible monotony of a longer game with something a little bit different. Fishing, cooking, board games, target practice, town-building, all these kinds of mini-games help make some of our favorite games even better!

But in this contest, you won’t be making the side dish, you’ll be making the STAR. The goal is simple: Create the best minigame you can using RPG Maker MV. That’s it. Ok, maybe there are a few more rules, so let’s go over those now:

Rules
  1. Your game should use the RTP Graphics, though can use additional graphics in the same style: The point isn’t to highlight flashy graphics, but to highlight the mechanics of your minigame itself!
  2. Any additional materials you use must be Commercial Use approved and you MUST provide proper credits. People work hard on those materials, don’t be a jerk!
  3. You can provide difficulties, scenarios, etc for your minigame that make it as long as you want, but the core experience should be communicated to the player within 10 minutes. We want everyone to have a chance to play and understand all of the games!
  4. Your mini-game cannot be just a copy from a game you have already released. This must be a new experience for the players!

And that is that! Your deadline is the end of February 26th, Pacific Time! Get those minigames posted in the submissions thread before then, and we look forward to the carnival of ideas!

All participants will receive a new award badge, and the top winner as voted by the forum will receive a 1st place badge!

FAQ
Can you use mini-games that we created before the contest started?
Yes, with caveats. It cannot be from a game that you have already released, but it can be something from an unreleased game that you are working on currently. It can also take ideas from a previously released game you have made. The main thing is that this should be new experiences. Not just showing off something you already released.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jericho Swain

Noxus Tyrant
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not trying to complain or anything but...

I like that there's finally another community event, with the reward being a medal, BUT considering that the medals from the previous event (original character II) hasn't been awarded and it has been awhile...I fear that those who participate are not going to get their medals. Also, people who participated late in the One-Map Challenge (I think that's what its called) hasn't received their medals yet.

I would like to participate in this event and receive a medal but I fear that we won't be receiving medals.

Yes, its great and all to help, participate, and give back to the community but if we're not going to get out prizes, as stated, then I would rather allocate the time I invest on this event into my current commercial project.

Sorry if I offended anyone, I don't mean to, I'm just a bit worried.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Havent read the whole topic, but, if my eyes arent lying to me, the banner spelled as "PRG Challenge".

Edit: And is it still MV Exclusive?

ImaginaryVillain

Creator of the greatest plugin ever!!!!!!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Absurdism
Primarily Uses
RMMV
*looks at his massive collection of PVG graphics*

*looks at the RTP graphics requirement*

Unfortunate.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did I upload the wrong header that had the typo. I need eyes.

Also, I'll check in on the medals for the last contest and one map challenge. I was not in charge of distributing them. But will make sure it is handled.

Just ran through and did the one map challenge ones (might have missed some, but if people @ me in the thread I'll catch them). OCC2 medals are being set up early next week. Thank you for your patience.

I'll make sure the ones for this one are set up much quicker.

Last edited:

k_mckenzie

Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've always wanted to learn how to make a mini platformer to nest inside my big project. Now I get to practice!

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP
I've got a couple of ideas I want to try. Not sure which one to go with yet. :kaoswt2:

Also, this sounds right up @Dalph's alley (if you've got the time of course).

CrowStorm

Storm crow descending, Winter unending.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Any additional materials you use must be Commercial Use approved and you MUST provide proper credits. People work hard on those materials, don’t be a jerk!
This is a little confusing because as far as I can tell the contest rules don't require entries to be a commercial product? There doesn't seem to be a cash prize or anything like that.

@slimmmeiske2 curiosity got the better of me, who is that blonde between the pyrotechnics launchers towards the bottom of your sig?

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
This is a little confusing because as far as I can tell the contest rules don't require entries to be a commercial product? There doesn't seem to be a cash prize or anything like that.
I'm guessing the whole "conspiracy" of this contest is to make your game as a sample game on how to make mini-games in RPG Maker MV. Like, "this is what the community had been made" (to boost... the sale?) like OCC2 if I recall correctly, which probably also the reason why it is MV only.

And the part of "it must be commercial use approved", exactly because it is a sample game. The rules said it must be RTP (or styled in RTP) goes back to the first "conspiracy". And if you add your own resources and you don't want them to be used in any commercial product, then better not to include, and just use RTP which is commercial use approved.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RTP only is because we may want to try to combine the top entries into a single carnival style game, if there are enough minigames that we think are top tier, as a free download on our site. In order to do this, we kind of need them to use the same style art (also, as I stated in the opening, it's about making entertaining minigames, using fancy art just distracts from the core of the challenge). We won't include anyone's minigame if they do not want it to be included.

As for commercial viable: If we are using it as a free download on our site, people could claim it was commercial as a promotional product, so its just easier to go with commercial useable resources only. And to be honest, I can't think of many resources you would need that aren't commercial useable to make a minigame.

Basically, TheoAllen has it right, though I feel as though it is a pretty benign "conspiracy" :p.

HexMozart88

The Master of Random Garbage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hmm. MV wouldn't be my first choice to do this, but I've done it before. Perhaps I'll give something a try.

Edit: Though I do remember doing something like this before, but for any engine. Maybe I can use some of that. Does it need to be a one-man band or can we partner up?

Vis_Mage

Novice Magician
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Neato, this sounds like a fun opportunity to try brainstorming some minigames. :kaothx:

One thought I had, if everyone's minigames are going to be put into a single compilation project, perhaps having a pseudo variable/switch sign up table wouldn't be a bad idea. Just something like, say I'm participant #3, so switches/variables 301-400 and common events 31-40 are reserved for my minigame, with more being request-able if I think my minigame would take more. Probably not something that would be required or anything, but would help keep things a bit easier to combine down the road.

Seacliff

RPG Maker Mastermind
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Yes
Primarily Uses
RM2k
@Touchfuzzy I still haven't received a medal for the One Map Challange.

Regardless though, it was a good experience for me. I'm definitely going to participate in this one too.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Seacliff Yeah, I made a mistake with that even of not doing separate submission and discussion threads, so I'll admit I miss some submissions when I'm scrolling through :p. I got you now though.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got started on mine today. I sort of have it planned out, but my brain is in anti-useful mode today so mostly just made a really boring map for it to take place on.

Hopefully this comes out well, as its going to be tricky to make it not too hard/not too easy.

fizzly

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Polish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
My platformer idea turned into a chicken coop micro-game, which can be plugged into a build-a-town mini-game:

I had fun making this one. I learned new things about event-on-event interactions. Now I want to make a build-a-town mini-game for my big project, so I can plug the chicken coop into the player's base!
Totally don't get it... Animations plays everywhere...I dont know what I'm supposed to do.

k_mckenzie

Fey.Earth
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Totally don't get it... Animations plays everywhere...I dont know what I'm supposed to do.
I can see how that'd be a pickle.
Updated so game starts with a short text tutorial.
Thank you for the feedback! :elwink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This is on the Amazon page for the FF7 Remake: 'If you get the game early, please think of others and don't spoil it for them. Please don't post videos or screenshots of the game until it is officially on sale on April 10.'
Gave my avatar an update, stay safe, people!
I'm currently available for hire for scripting (and perhaps other things).
Also, don't worry, the Advanced Minimap plugin is a work in progress.
Hallelujah! Work is getting stricter on humans in the store.
Day 3 of mapping... at least the whole game its just one location :3 (Still taking forever...)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RitBro