RPG Maker DLC Rights

ShafeDogg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I read on this website http://blog.rpgmakerweb.com/tips-and-tricks/what-can-i-do-with-my-dlc/ that with RTP DLC, you can only use it if you own the corresponding RPG Maker version it's made for. Does this mean, for example, that I cannot legally use the Samurai DLC with RMVXA if I do not own RMVX? Also, when it comes to working with a group on a project, does everyone need to own the DLC, or only one person, since we will all be releasing the same game?

Thank you for your time. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The samurai DLC is not the RTP - with RTP (which is short for RunTimePackage) the EULA means specifically the pictures, audios and other media data shipped together with the maker program.

Where and how to use any DLC depends on the EULA of that specific DLC. Most shop resources can be used with any RPG Maker once purchased (might need reformatting as different makers have different formats) but not for non-RM-programs.

If you got the resources from other websites (GameDevFort) then they may have a different DLC (especially the no longer available Humble Bundle for the IGMC2015 had better terms)

ShafeDogg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was confused mostly because the official blog post I linked listed the Samurai DLC as RTP. As for working with groups, most DLCs say they are not allowed to be transferred. But what if we are all working on a project and we want to share DLC for the same game, using the same engine (VX Ace) that we all own? Since I own the DLC could I not share it for a project I'm making with others? I hope that makes more sense.

Thanks once again. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RTP-Style (which means the pictures have been done with the same art techniques and can easily be used together), not RTP itself.

Dreadshadow

Lv 38 Tech Magician
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since I own the DLC could I not share it for a project I'm making with others?
I MIGHT BE WRONG.

But by what I have read from here and there on this forum, I will give you an answer.

Remember, that I am gonna tell you might be wrong,

so wait for a staff member to give you an official reply. ;)

If you don't have any special permission given to you, other than the EULA, the EULA strictly forbids you to share

what you purchased. That means you are the only person entitled to use it and you can not transfer that right.

Thus you have to have a copy of that DLC for each member, if there are more than one computers working

on the project containing this asset.

Of course if the only computer involved in the development is yours, say for example you work 12 hours straight

on a game, go to sleep, and your brother who lives with you goes on while you sleep on the same computer,

I suppose there is no problem.

People protect their work from being pirated. Assets need hours of work to be made. They expect to get something

back for spending let's say 500 hours on their PC making them (real number trust me on this).

Thus the EULA strictly prohibits such sharing, because this will be a protection void in that way.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunarea

Artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
Official answer:

Does this mean, for example, that I cannot legally use the Samurai DLC with RMVXA if I do not own RMVX?
All of our resource pack (otherwise known as DLC) allow use in any RPG Maker. So, you can use Samurai in Ace with no problems. :)

RTP, on the other hand, requires you to own both the maker it's from and the maker you are using it in. For example, if you wanted to use RMXP RTP in Ace, you would need to own both RMXP and Ace.

Also, when it comes to working with a group on a project, does everyone need to own the DLC, or only one person, since we will all be releasing the same game?
Everyone needs to have their own copy of the DLC. If it's a lot of people, contact us via support and we can arrange a group discount. :)

ShafeDogg

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you Lunarea, for your simple and concise answer, and everyone else for your support. I appreciate it very much. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Brother made thumbnails for my Lets Plays. He's a swood dude.
Since I'm getting so busy (the fact that I'm often here is due to the fact that this is my procrastination #1 destination), I'm trying a new system where everyday I dedicate 30 minutes to my personal game project. That way it won't fall into the abyss.
In today's seminar:
Presenter: In the past, there was a saying, "One who has tuberculosis is doomed for life." But now-
Everyone: *starts coughing in unision*
Gosh... Today seems too much like a good day to do nothing....

I need to keep myself focused...! :kaoback:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CRMA