RPG Maker FES coming this summer

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by mega01man, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mega01man

mega01man Villager Member

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I was surprised when I received an email from NISA that RPG Maker FES is coming this summer. I was confused as to why RPG Maker need to go through NISA. I thought they probably need a publisher.
    NISA Store Link

2. Fernyfer775

Fernyfer775 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    *GASPS IN ESPANOL*

Rayhaku808 and kaukusaki like this.
  3. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    RMMV for FES FTW! :kaoback:

4. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Why does it come with a separate OST? Isn't that just sticking the RTP music on a CD and claiming it's a bonus?

5. Fugama

Fugama Means well, but messes up sometimes. Veteran

First Language:
    Fake English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The artbook looks cool but aside from that, eh

6. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    The DS FES one have their own tracks that isn't available elsewhere.

7. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Archeia Fair enough, then. :) At first glance it just seemed weird.

8. Reapergurl

Reapergurl Drummer Extraordinaire! xD Veteran

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Ummm...

So, RM gets ported to a handheld...

Cool, but I wonder how many will actually jump on board?

The 3DS isn't as popular as it was a couple years ago.

Blame Nintendo on this; their popularity has started to tank ever since releasing the Switch.

If RM got ported to a console (I had talked about this before), there would likely be a better turnout. Plus, the consoles tend to have better Flash capabilities, more HDD storage space, and oh yes, a much larger display output so you can see what you're doing.

9. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Cool, I'm buying this. B):thumbsup-right:

Probably won't use it much but I still like the effort of bringing RM to consoles, and while I wouldn't think it can even begin to compare with what you can do in MV, it's still cool to have your friend play something you slapped together on their 3DS. Thumbs up!

@Reapergurl
    I haven't noticed anything but hype for Nintendo since they announced the Nintendo Switch (with a fair bit of anti-nintendo hate sprinkled in, ofc).
    The 3DS, anyway, is OLD! You can't blame Nintendo for releasing a new console when their old ones are so irrelevant. The WiiU was a failure that they needed to replace and 3DS was released 6(!) years ago. I mean wow, that's really old, and if you consider that it used pretty old tech even back then you probably understand why they NEED the Switch on the market. Because 3DS have a resolution of something like 400×240 pixels... that's not very 2017. I mean I still own one and I like it but playing the latest Pokemon game with the pixelated 3d graphics and annoying (but acceptable) load times really showed that they've hit a wall with that console.

I believe that if switch is going to do anything for Nintendo, it's going to make them relevant (and hopefully popular) again. And maybe, maybe, maybe, in the distant future we'll get "RPGmakerSwitch"! :mrsatan:

10. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Parallax Panda A mix of hype and boos, but there's not much of a fanbase for the Switch unless you're a hardcore Ninten-junkie. lol

I had a 3DS; it was okay but I liked the PSP/Go and Vita better for graphics and gameplay. I actually had all four of those; lost in an apartment complex fire that gutted the place.

I've tested the Switch; the way the controller is designed when removed from the sides of the screen is way past awkward. Like, I'd much rather bot in a PS3/4 controller and use that comfortably, and I even said so while testing.

One of my coworkers has a WiiU; all it has going for it is that you can play the game without using the television.

One of my few friends has an Xbox ONE, and all he bought it for was so he could play the next games in the RB and GH series; I'd rather have that impressive graphics ability for RM than on a seven year old handheld.

Yes, yes. I agree with how cool it is to make something to easily share with your friends (that was part of the idea for RM PSX).

11. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Reapergurl
    I wouldn't agree that you'd have to be a hardcore Ninten-junkie to buy one since I don't consider myself one and I'm going to buy one. Not at launch (because pre-orders are all sold out), but later this Spring. Why? Well that is because it's likely the best system ever created for handheld gaming.:kaojoy:
    I say that even though I haven't tried it because a) I don't think smartphones and tablets can compare to a dedicated consoles in quality games and control schemes and b) The Switch obviously have more raw power and better resolution than the PSvita, which I'd consider the best handheld up until now (3DS does have a better/bigger library of games but hardware-wise, it's much worse).

Sure, Switch won't have a lot of games at launch but I imagine that the library will build up over the years. And when it comes to first party, Nintendo has more to offer than both Microsoft and Sony (no really, I'm not a "Ninten-Junkie" although I imagine you think I sound like one).
    It's just that I have a PC as well and if I want to play say, Fallout 4, then xbox1 and PS4's versions are vastly inferior in both graphics and controls, and that goes for many other cool games that's being released on Microsoft and Sonys platforms as well. Many multi platform third party games do come to PC as well after all. There are a few exceptions, for example, I'd like to play Ni no Kuni 2 and Uncharted 4, but besides that there is really nothing I NEED to play that's exclusive to either Xbox1 or PS4 - at this point in time.
    Almost all of Nintendo's first party games on the other hand are exclusive. And unless you don't like the family friendliness of most of Nintendos IP's, games such as Smash bros, Mario kart and Zelda (especially THIS zelda) are almost always, really, really good games.

The biggest selling point for me personally though is that I spend about 2hours in total commuting to work everyday. Up until now I've used my 3DS which then got replaced by my PSvita, which now is going to be replaced by Switch. If you think of the Switch, not from the perspective of a home console but as a handheld first and foremost (that you can also play on your TV, if you want), it's really impressive. If you think of it as a home console first and foremost, then yeah, it's not so impressive (since you'd directly compare it to what Xbox1 and PS4 can do).

I guess I shouldn't go too much of topic but I do think that the Switch have a good chance at being extremely successful, and I look forward to play a new Pokemon game on it in a few years (on my way to work ofc).
    And if I one day in the future can build RPG's on the bus, then go home and send them to my friend who can play them on his TV, then that would be awesome. I hope Kadokawa thinks so too and makes it into a reality! :kaoswt:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Reapergurl likes this.
  12. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Parallax Panda I'm quite the Ninten-Junkie, actually, but mainly for the much older stuff. Still have an unopened original gold cartridge LoZ. It's in my unharmed-by-fire vault. :yhappy:

A lot of PC games these days require ridiculous power to play them though.

This is why I like RM; doesn't require a great deal of power or HDD space or RAM.

I mean, I'm glad to see it ported to something outside of the PC. I just wonder...why the 3DS?

Parallax Panda likes this.
  13. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Reapergurl

I don't KNOW, but my best guess is that it was a rather quick and easy job to make an enhanced version of the DS+ version which was exclusively Japanese. Because I THINK much of the tiles and stuff is actually the same or close to same (maybe with some new stuff) as what was already available on the NDS game. So economically speaking it was probably not a big risk to take. 3DS have a decent install base so even if it's very late into it's lifespan it'll still probably sell enough to at least make up for the development costs, and then some.

And while we're on that topic, I wonder what's new/different compared to the DS+ version?

Reapergurl likes this.
  14. mega01man

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    How will one put a self made resources in the 3ds? or is it limited to what the cartridge holds? wait... will that mean, the mirco sd card will be used more frequently? I mean if following RMs resource management, one must transfer the resources to RM's folder in the micro sd card.

I like switch, just because i like the new take on Legend of Zelda. Although, I'm scared of the heating for the thing. PS Vita, heats up, Nintendo 3DS not that I know or the heat is just so minimal that I don't notice it.

I get frustrated on PC games though, the need so much power and it's expensive to keep up with all the upgrades.

Reapergurl likes this.
  15. LxCharon

LxCharon I'm the best hyperbole writer in the world. Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just an aside for @Reapergurl and @Parallax Panda the nintendo 3DS is not only still going strong (selling double the units it sold in 2015 in 2016) but is actually one of the biggest selling consoles of all time. (outselling the wii U, the ps4 and the xbox one) So from a financial position if going mobile for Rpgmaker the 3ds is a good prospect. Also the last portable rpgmaker game was also on a nintendo handheld.

Reapergurl likes this.
  16. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @Parallax Panda, @LxCharon
    If I recall correctly, RM 3 was ported to PS3, PSP and PS Vita via the PS Store.

I actually still have a physical copy of all three RM software (2 and 3 were released for the PS2), lol

Hmm...yeah. I can't think of anything more to say.

17. Parallax Panda

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @mega01man

I'm pretty sure you can't add your own assets. So that means no parallax mapping, no plugins/scripts and no additional tilesets. I remember that there was quite a bit of downloadable content (free dlc) available for the Japanese exclusive DS version though. I do own that game and I did access and download additional content so I know this for a fact. So maybe (if we're lucky) they'll make some additional (official) sprites and stuff available. But that's probably about it, which is why I'd see it more as a fun little distraction to play with when you're not home than something you want to put your next big game on.

Also, 3DS does not have a keyboard so expect to be writing ALL the dialog using the touch pen (or maybe with the D-pad). That in itself is probably enough of a hassle that you wouldn't want to make some crazy 100+hour RPG in this software. But simple fun rpgs? Sure!

@LxCharon

I know. It's still selling, but it's not the best selling system of all time (not even close).
    Here is my source. As you can see, the 3DS have sold more than PS4 as of today but it was also released 2 years prior. Looking at the numbers I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 ended up selling more or about as much in the future.
    But like I said before, it's probably a economically safe bet atm (especially since they probably could build upon the latest installments for the original DS to speed up development). But going into 2017 and beyond, the 3DS will be replaced by Nintendo Switch (unless Switch completely and utterly fails).
    I know Nintendo says they can live side by side, but I don't think they can. They are both handhelds system (Switch IS a handheld) competing for the same games and audience. And I actually believe that the only thing that would make Switch fail miserably in the market as it looks, is if Nintendo tries to hold onto the soon to be dying 3DS, at the expense of their new console. An example of this would be if the next big Pokemon game was announced for 3DS instead of Switch.

So what I think is RPGmaker FES is a good bet. But the next time (hopefully in 2-3years) Kadokawa will bring RPGmaker to the Switch.

mega01man likes this.
  18. Reapergurl

First Language:
    British English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I would think Kadokawa would do itself a massive favor by porting it to all systems. That's what I think anyway.

19. Clades

Clades doesn't exist Member

First Language:
    german
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Is there also planed an European release?
    I wonder if you can add own stuff to your game (with the aid of a sd-card).

20. mega01man

First Language:
    Tagalog
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I think @Parallax Panda answered that. I had the same question too.

Edit: I forgot to say thank you! Thank you for answering @Parallax Panda !

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017