RPG Maker FES

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by CodeHunterEx, Oct 17, 2018.

1. CodeHunterEx

CodeHunterEx Hunter of the Perfect Code Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Does anyone own a 3DS system and used RPG Maker FES?

What is your thoughts on it?

I have a copy but I haven't buckled down to actually try and create a game for it, but I may at some point.

2. Uzuki

Uzuki Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's okay. You can't make like some big adventure game or something but small minigames and stories work pretty well. The DLC is pretty good for branching out into other genres and elements and there are even little "sample games" that showcase the stuff in them so you can get an idea before you buy.

3. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Sure, I own it. If you have a lot of time on your hands and a friend or two who has 3DS’s as well (and are willing to play what you make) it might be worth your time. Maybe.

But honestly, while the RTP and DLC is great, the engine is not only very limited but also a pain to work in. Small things like being unable to zoom in and out, unintuitive tileset layout and a pretty limiting database makes the experience subpar.

I had some fun with it when I was in the hospital since I didn’t have access to a computer then. But I would never choose to use FES over MV if I’m given the choice.

The dev process on the 3DS is just too slow and frustrating...

Uriel likes this.
  4. Tai_MT

Tai_MT Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It is very much like a demo version of RPG Maker. Most Database options go to 64 or to 128 (only 64 weapons... only 64 total pieces of armor... which accessories fall into the same list... only 64 items... but you can make 128 skills!). You don't get to create States. You can't alter the damage formulas (it doesn't even tell you what the default formulas are!). You can't create or change Elements (they're defaulted and the Database tells you what is weak to what). All of the artwork is pretty amazing though. Oh, and "Eventing" is pretty... limited... though streamlined very well. There's no way to create or load custom assets, so what you use is what you've got on the game or in the DLC.

It's not bad for creating a small game for your friends to play, and some people have created some decent games using it (I look for them sometimes on the program, just to see what players have done).

5. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    To give an idea of what you would be getting into:
    I can't properly port my RPG Maker 2000 game because there are missing features regarding equipment, states, and skills. And I feel like it barely has enough tools to create engaging battles.

It's fun, but It's limited. I highly recommend taking any serious projects over to the PC engines.

6. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Giauz_Ragnarock I have already explained to you in another thread that such things require Admin approval, which you do not have and, as far as I know, have not sought. Please do not try this again.
    I have deleted your post.

7. Giauz_Ragnarock

Giauz_Ragnarock Warper Member

First Language:
    USA English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    I am sorry. I didn't understand. I will not cause you any trouble, and I never meant to be a headache. Sorry. I hope that this community will be fun when I finally get to working with my RM MV program. Thank you for dealing with me.

8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Incidentally part of the issue is Degica didn't release FES, but a competitor, which is why it can't be advertised here either as it is advertising for a competing product.

9. Benny Jackdaw

Benny Jackdaw Ratty! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    I am just thoroughly disappointed that they never released most of the DLC here in America. Japan gets about twice as much DLC, including Monsters from the PC RPG Maker games.