PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
A couple of my friends and I are creating a RPG Maker-in-mind Freesource (free resources) pack, but we were discussing and would like some feedback from the community.

What theme(s) in resources would be sought after overall? Fantasy? Monsters? Sci-fi? Heroes? In my RPG Maker ventures I personally noted that there are very sparse resources in-base engine for villains, as heroes take a more primary focus. Normal townspeople also seemed to lack more, graphically.

I also notice a lack of theme songs that have variants: for example, a theme title song for the game that may also have a music box ver. for events or have bars of the song present in the epic final battle music.

But we'd like YOUR opinions. Because we want to make a pack for the community, not necessarily for ourselves.

The first Free-sources pack will definitely include:
+ Busts and variance in face expressions/poses (these include multiple hairs/eyes/face/skintone/clothing)
+ Fullbody images of those busts
+ Animated face pieces (blinking/talking/subtle animations)
+ Character sprites and animations
+ Monster sprites and animations
+ Music, including vocal themes
+ Flavor texts
+ Lyrics

Possibly these:
+ Voice acting clips for battles
+ Monster SFX
+ Pixel tileset pieces/animations
+ Icons
+ UI pieces
+ Battlebacks or parallax resource

If a plug-ins maker wants to join our efforts, they can contact me here to discuss adding plug-in bits to the pack, but we have nobody experienced in JS right now (I am learning though). Same goes for anyone who wants to help.

Note: This pack will be for anyone who wants to make edits and use them freely, with (hopefully) crediting us, for both free and commercial games. So bear that in mind if anyone wants to join forces into a team.

And if this thread is in the wrong section please move it! I wasn't sure where it'd go. XD

Cootadude

Noob with exp
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I've noticed is that there is a lack of good Steampunk & Apocalyptic/Ruins resources for RPG Maker, so I'll like to see more of those.
I can do simple Sprite Creation & Art if you need any assistance.

CoryH

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is an awesome idea, I've always wanted to do something like this. If you would like some help, I've got experience with making generator parts, weapons, animated objects and tile edits.

As far as what's missing, for sure villain themed stuff. Bandits, "villainous" soldiers, pirates. All that stuff seems lacking.
I would second steampunk as well, alot of people like that stuff, and there isn't really very much of it out there,

thesupernova

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I’m with @Cootadude on this one. Definitely need more post apocalyptic, ruined towns/cities, and steampunk stuff. There is also a criminal lack of snow tiles. Something else that would be great if you’re doing characters/faces/generator parts would be zombies or ghouls (like from fallout. Kinda zombie-ish but not necessarily rotting).
Also, if you need any help in the audio department I am a music producer, and I sing and play many instruments, so I can help expand themes and melodies to different instruments and different vibes. I can also provide voice acting and may have a few friends who would be interested as well, so I can record their lines. I could also help with sound effects.
Either way, great idea. Can’t wait to see what you include.

Rodak

Dang Hippy
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Math
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
There is definitely a need for more Evil Characters and image sets, especially SV Battlers! I would still like to someday make that game where you play as monsters fighting humans.

I rarely use humans in my games, so Animals are needed too, especially with battlers. I'm making my own but am always open to checking out others' stuff.

I posted a Cow Battler / Character sheet set on my last try with this stuff, and am making the needed Pig, Penguin, and Ostrich to complete the main party but supporting cast and NPAs (Non-Player Animals) would be great.

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
One thing I've noticed is that there is a lack of good Steampunk & Apocalyptic/Ruins resources for RPG Maker, so I'll like to see more of those.
I can do simple Sprite Creation & Art if you need any assistance.

Oh yeah! Steampunk is something I see requested a lot on threads, as well as ruined pieces of existing RTP. Is possible we can do some sprite edits together for ruins and such.

This is an awesome idea, I've always wanted to do something like this. If you would like some help, I've got experience with making generator parts, weapons, animated objects and tile edits.

As far as what's missing, for sure villain themed stuff. Bandits, "villainous" soldiers, pirates. All that stuff seems lacking.
I would second steampunk as well, alot of people like that stuff, and there isn't really very much of it out there,

Villains never get any love. ; w; Yet, I seem to be drawn to them over heroes. As I said to the other person, some ruins sprite edits of RTP and extra ruined objects might be something we could do together.

I’m with @Cootadude on this one. Definitely need more post apocalyptic, ruined towns/cities, and steampunk stuff. There is also a criminal lack of snow tiles. Something else that would be great if you’re doing characters/faces/generator parts would be zombies or ghouls (like from fallout. Kinda zombie-ish but not necessarily rotting).
Also, if you need any help in the audio department I am a music producer, and I sing and play many instruments, so I can help expand themes and melodies to different instruments and different vibes. I can also provide voice acting and may have a few friends who would be interested as well, so I can record their lines. I could also help with sound effects.
Either way, great idea. Can’t wait to see what you include.

Snowy things are important! Reminds me of Rhone in Dragon Quest when I hear of snowy tiles. I don't have experience working with pieces for the RPG Maker gen, but I'll look into that. My dream goal is to eventually be able to work with an original generator that surpasses RPG Maker's, where my team and I can add free and paid assets to it each little bit, but I need a programmer for that, or hone my own programming skills (I am learning JS slowly but surely).

I also sing! I think a collab would do us good.

What type of sound effects?

There is definitely a need for more Evil Characters and image sets, especially SV Battlers! I would still like to someday make that game where you play as monsters fighting humans.

I rarely use humans in my games, so Animals are needed too, especially with battlers. I'm making my own but am always open to checking out others' stuff.

I posted a Cow Battler / Character sheet set on my last try with this stuff, and am making the needed Pig, Penguin, and Ostrich to complete the main party but supporting cast and NPAs (Non-Player Animals) would be great.

My current hobbyist project is a Dragon Quest fangame where the DQ villains are the protagonists. I love working with villains.

Oh true, animals and non-human NPCs were really skimped on too, and I do have intentions of creating non-humans and animals for the free pack.

Since everyone is suggesting Steampunk, maybe we'll include some machinery/robotic stuff. Steampunk and Post Apocalyptic seems to be the common thing, along with villains and non-human NPCs. But is anyone good at coming up with steampunk vehicles/machinery/robotic designs? We could make some overworld vehicle and walking sprites of mounts like that.

thesupernova

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT i can definitely do any kind of electronic sound effects. I’ve got plenty of plugins to help me make electronic sounds. Practical sound effects are a little bit harder, but I’ve been experimenting with foley more lately so even if you don’t like what I do with it it’s worth a try just for me to get better at it. If you are interested at all just drop me a DM and we can coordinate.

woeterman_94

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I would love some more "random people" faces and characters.
(If anyone has some tips, those are welcome ofcourse)

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I'm conferring with my friends about assets and proposed areas of focus~ as senpai says.

Random NPCs will be included. As I personally also feel they are typically skimped out on, and using the same model over and over and over and over gets redundant.

Finnuval

World (his)story builder and barrel of ideas
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
More varied npc's definetly is a thing.

Thematically speaking desert and jungle tiles are always missing too imo.

And good voice clips and sfx for Many things are also harder to come by then one would Imagine xD

Dutchmountain

Engineering the impossible
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PixeLockeT : Nice Idea creating such Free-Sources. I had plans to do something like that myself after I held a poll with suggestions for it. Specially Steampunk (fantasy) related resources were most suggested ones. Maybe I could help out here too with certain resources if you are still looking for any help but will the planned resources style be engine related?

PixeLockeT

Demon Lord Lady
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Sorry, my health has ben ehhhhh. I'll be doing a group message soon on this subject, so hold those thoughts, lovely inventors!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

[My favorite slow moving track I've made so far]
dd_airport2.jpgdd_combat.jpg
dd_town.jpg
I did an experiment to try to solve the art style problem between RTP and 3D models.
But, it feels this grimdark world is going to end even faster. :kaoswt2:
Solovei wrote on caethyril's profile.
Hi, just wanted to say, thank you for helping me fix that event with the step count! I followed your example exactly and it works now:kaojoy:
still waiting for original character contest 3 bust/face dlc release :kaoluv:
Stimpaks and More.png
Continued work. Still a WIP, some need some retouching. Stimpak, Radaway, Psycho, Jet, Mentats, Medex(ish/needs to be purple), bloodpack, glowing bloodpack. Made some Nuka too. Need to make Rad-X.
Nuka Sheet WIP FR.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucarioKaze