SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I read it in Siliconera, a legal port! WOW!

Just one question; How can I make this happen for my game too?

Edit : Here is the link for the article :) : CLICK HERE
It's Undefeated! If I remember correctly, made by kspj17 :D . (Huge congrats!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Wait for the tool to be released for public use. :)

For now, you could probably ask some questions to ksjp and Indinera as they were the ones who made that game that was used as some kind of testing grounds.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No one can answer that as this feature is not yet officially released.

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
OMG! This is real then!!! I mean they are going to make this feature a public release for real. Sorry, I'm just over excited. Since my game will be released on Steam and other portals coming month, I'm thinking about portiing them to mobile platform (if possible) and this new hit me.

Now, waiting mode is on. *twiddle thumbs* :D

Wait for the tool to be released for public use. :)

For now, you could probably ask some questions to ksjp and Indinera as they were the ones who made that game that was used as some kind of testing grounds.
I see, thanks :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One thing I know right now based from ksjp was that it only supports arrow key and ESC/Spacebar like buttons overlay right now. so you'd only have Arrows + ok/cancel buttons available probably (because of screen size and memory limitations apparently)

Gui

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
This is great news indeed! This impossibility of porting your game on mobile devices was, IMO, one of the most unfortunate lacunas of the maker... until now.

Can't wait for the release of this tool: 'hope this test will be successful  :)

SomaelCK

Lv 99 Simple Sheep
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Burmese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
One thing I know right now based from ksjp was that it only supports arrow key and ESC/Spacebar like buttons overlay right now. so you'd only have Arrows + ok/cancel buttons available probably (because of screen size and memory limitations apparently)
Still better than nothing, IMO (Maybe we can use press button-combinations as a solution?). Can't wait for the public release :)

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
yeah, plus I guess a lot of games won't need other buttons anyways (except for my CG and the other one that I'm developing which uses almost all the default RM buttons, plus possibly those using yanfly's combo input). :)

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Of course I might be wrong. I think it best to wait and see what's actually included.

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I saw this and my initial reaction was very sceptical. Having read up a bit more though, it does seem to be going ahead.

My only concern is application size. My games are around the 6-700MB mark, even with all the unnecessary RTP files stripped out of there. That's a helluva large amount of data to expect someone to download onto their smartphone.

That being said, I'm allowing the excitement to build; this really opens up a new avenue for commercial developers like myself to branch out into a new market. 2D RPGs will be right at home on smartphones and other handheld devices!

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah, unfortunately game size is something you need to be thinking about all along - if you ever WANT your game to be playable on mobile devices, you need to be thinking about their limitations right from the word go. It might take a while for some people (myself included) to get into the right way of thinking, in order to improve performance on these platforms. But we all have to start somewhere :)

Bloodmorphed

Dungeon Fanatic
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I am quite curious though, will you have to use the engine on the phone, or still be able to work on it on the computer and just port it to the phone apps?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Bloodmorphed

They are 2 different builds, so you can't just take your copy of the game that you have on your pc and use an app to convert it.

@Shaz

Spot on - to get the best you have to plan from the beginning.  For example, parallax maps take up a vast amount of file size.  For a mobile game they become highly problematic.  Some things have to be simplified, for example, the pc version of Undefeated has 30 save slots (because I like having multiple save slots), this has had to be reduced to the default 4.  Complex scripts doing 60 different things and you only use one feature which could have been done by eventing is another thing to look at.  Overall, if you want to port to mobile, you might have to reverse some of the move to complexity that we have seen over the last few years.  Which does not mean dumbing down, but doing it differently.

Crifmer

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Shaz

Spot on - to get the best you have to plan from the beginning.  For example, parallax maps take up a vast amount of file size.  For a mobile game they become highly problematic.  Some things have to be simplified, for example, the pc version of Undefeated has 30 save slots (because I like having multiple save slots), this has had to be reduced to the default 4.  Complex scripts doing 60 different things and you only use one feature which could have been done by eventing is another thing to look at.  Overall, if you want to port to mobile, you might have to reverse some of the move to complexity that we have seen over the last few years.  Which does not mean dumbing down, but doing it differently.
This is a big reason why I'm trying to learn how to do things through eventing and with tilesets.  I am teaching myself Ruby since there will be things I simply need a script to do, but for the most part, I want to keep it as within the engine as I can.  And while I do want to learn parallax mapping and make pretty pictures, I'm prefectly happy with creative use of the tileset - especially with the tiles that are coming out now.  There is some gorgeous work being done that can, with some simple graphic editing, be turned into any custom tileset that you need.

I guess my question is how much space does that take up?  I mean, if I make custom tilesheets for different locations (a village set, a castle set, a dungeon set, etc, all with the same images, but different assortments), how much space is that?  I know this is a tangent, sorry. :)

I'm very excited to go to mobile apps, and I'm tailoring my learning toward that since I literally just walked through the door last week.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Crifmer

Rather than derail the thread, I'll send you a pm.

Clord

Nya~
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
It makes wonder if the story is real. I know they had the plans for this but I doubt they would first notify about them via third party site.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
It makes wonder if the story is real.
This sounds rather sceptical.  Hmmmm, I wonder where that leaves me and those members of Degica staff (e.g. Touchfuzzy) who have spoken about it?

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Clord, I too was sceptical at first... but do you realise you're talking to the person whose game is the forerunner for this item of software? 

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, it is real, but as has been said, it is not ready for public distribution. There is no telling how long it will take for that to happen.

phoenix_rossy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Not *too* long I hope. I know there are a considerable amount of my fans who'd love to be playing DH on the go!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

2021? I still wonder if people still doing MV than MZ more
Seeing a lot more active Ace topics recently, is it making a comeback? :o
0-7, left-to-right, top-to-bottom
As soon as I'm able to get out of bed I'm probably gonna go so hyper from being too cooped up, and burn myself out into another awful flare. lol
It makes me feel proud whenever an RM game does well. Even though I had nothing to do with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krunga