rpg maker games that are like Shonen manga?

puubutt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
I've recently gotten into a mood for RPG maker games, and was looking around for games that had a story like a generic modern shonen manga. Example: Kid goes to school, something happens, they gain super powers, get training, go to a special school, fight demons/ghosts, defeat a big baddie. (Think Jujutsu Kaisen) .

I've noticed there are a few on Japanese game sites like freem, but there are virtually none on the English side of the world, and when there are they use the standard assets which kind of takes away from the story.

I always love playing people's projects, so I was wondering if anyone knew of any type of games like this that use RPG maker that has a good story? I though there would be a lot but I was surprised when I couldn't find any.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My game has many Shonen elements including lots of Art(its fantasy) and I am working on the Manga.

Want to learn more? Killer Gin Official Site: https://killergin.com/

Killer Gin STEAM Link:

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have several titles for you
Pros: Has an actual shonen trope. Something happens in her homeland then she gained a superpower Infernal power (the MC's superpower) to help her regain her home. Twist happens
Cons: The screenshot is hosted in the dead site, poor grammar, a little bit feel RTP.

I played the game way back in VX era, the original game was made in VX in 2008, and the game inspired me back in 2009. So this title holds a special place for me despite it is not as good as many popular titles.

Pros: The character interactions are like a typical anime interaction.
Cons: It is not a complete game, only episode 0. And I don't think the dev is going to continue the project lol.

Pros: You go to school and something happened.
Cons: Has a bit boring battle in my opinion.

Honorable mention
Why? because I remember I had a good time playing this, but I don't remember what it is all about. Thus I could not strongly recommend it based on the criteria, but it is a good game that maybe you could try.

puubutt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Oh thank you both for the recommendations! I will definitely check them out when I get home~
Killer Gin definitely seems interesting!
Although a few of the recommendations do seem to be historical/scifi looking but that might just be the screenshots that make them seem that way. If you find any that are modern or come across any others even if they're only demos please share them with me~ thank you so much for your help~

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Example: Kid goes to school, something happens, they gain super powers, get training, go to a special school, fight demons/ghosts, defeat a big baddie.
Sounds kinda like my game, but it ain't even close to completion. XP

puubutt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Sounds kinda like my game, but it ain't even close to completion. XP
That's a shame. If you have a pinglist for when you have a demo out please add me ^^

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Due to the limited resources to modern theme assets, I don't think there would be that many. I have yet to play modern themed RPG Maker games myself.

Kirri

Imagining Things
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Malay
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

puubutt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Due to the limited resources to modern theme assets, I don't think there would be that many. I have yet to play modern themed RPG Maker games myself.
Yeah I kind of assumed that was the reason there are so little.
I've been a bit spoiled by the RPG maker Japanese community where there are quite a few of these kind of games which have custom art made by the developers (albeit theyre mostly fangames and short).
I guess the only option I have is to make my own ^^;
Thank you so much for your list none-the-less. It's a pretty solid list, considering I couldn't find a single one.

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Heh. I used to work on a fan game with a bunch of different anime characters in the same universe. That might be right up your alley. I no longer work on it, though. XD I'm working on a new project now that's also kinda shounen-ish.

I actually haven't played this game yet, but it might be something you like.

Not sure if this one suits your criteria, but here goes.

Both creators are active on the forum, so PM them if you need anything.

Will let you know if anything else comes to my mind. Have fun. XP
55.gif

puubutt

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Thanks for the recommendations! I'm mostly looking for modern ones though, and they both seem to be medieval fantasy (i'm not complaining though, they both look really interesting so i'll still give them a try).
I'll for sure also follow your current project if it's shonen-ish : ) if you have any forum for it.
Also do you possibly have your old project up for download?

Mr. Detective

NATO Special Operative
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I missed the modern part... X3 My new project is also sort of medieval-ish, though, lol. XD I have nothing to show yet, either.

This is my old project. The images are dead, but the link is still fine.

Might wanna lower your standard a little, though. Plot isn't anything serious, and gameplay isn't special, either. =w=

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The light has gone out of my life.

About time they finally press the kill switch button for older makers.
Sorry everyone, I am here sporadically. After 6 years of delays after delays in my life, I try to do all mat once and that means that I spread thin everywhere because it just is impossible to crunch 6 years in one or even two, but I try! I wish many of that I would already given you and put behind but... well...
I'm looking for an experienced gamer who has played a few games created with RPG Maker, who knows what an alpha build is, who may remember the old days when cliché was the favorite word on Creation Asylum, who, if a reviewer, would ask for my permission before making a review to post on YouTube, or whatever, since I will be messaging you a 10 minute, or so, DEMO based on an alpha build of Effervesce Fallacy™.
No matter how many times I listen to him, I know this is Joker speaking, but my brain can only hear Dagda.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuckyCat