Jhale M.

Goddess of health, purity and truth.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Please pay attention to all of what I am saying since a title is not enough to explain what I am looking for....

One of the main reasons I love RPGs is because of level grinding and steadily accomplishing things not necessarily central to the plot. This was something I liked before even knowing what an RPG was so it isn't based on outdated design philosophy. Most modern RPG designers believe that nobody wants this so it can be hard to find games that have strong level grinding and progression.

Well, I don't only like level grinding, I also like:
- Level ups that make you feel like you truly improved most of the time.
- Skills learned by leveling up (not necessarily the only way of learning skills, but it feels unrewarding if they can't be learned through leveling).
- Skills that aren't poorly designed or unusable against every single meaningful enemy in the game.
- Equipment that requires hard work to pay for so that survival is hard without patience or good preparation.
- Stories that are not a joke or overly narrative-centered (not being able to return to areas is a big no-no unless it eventually reopens)..
- A good amount of areas and cities to progress through, or a home base from which you branch into different areas.
- No focus on puzzle mechanics or progression that relies on small details that can easily get you stuck for hours because the people in the game don't explain enough or there is a ridiculous reaction based barrier to entry (Labyronia Elements)

If you know of a game that fits MOST of these criteria, I would pay to play it. If you know a game that at least has a strong focus on building up characters, I might try it. However, don't recommend any games where you can't backtrack because they are basically not conducive to what I am asking for.

Oh and I can't believe I forgot this, but there needs to be repeatable encounters and it needs to be an RPG Maker game since I already could find commercial examples. Also, no RPG Maker MV games, I can't run them.

Last edited:

Yeseylon

Regional Manager of OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Why can't you run MV?

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
'General Discussion' is about broad themes affecting the making of games, not the playing of them.
[MOVE]Video Games[/MOVE]
For a free game which meets many of your criteria, you could try Hero's Realm. It's an old game, but a classic of its type, and great fun. Sadly many other games like that are no longer available due to servers vanishing.

Jhale M.

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
It's so hard to post in the right place. I was 100% sure it was the right place but nothing is labeled properly on this site.

Windows i7

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I personally like Eternal Senia. There is some element of grinding in it. I suspect you might really like it, and it is free on Steam.

It's so hard to post in the right place. I was 100% sure it was the right place but nothing is labeled properly on this site.
There is proper labeling, but it may not be what you are used to. I'd recommend lurking and reading some of the threads in each section to get an idea which section is for what. Also, when a mod posts blue text, that means you're not in trouble for it (you should still try to heed it though to avoid escalation). It is when you see red text that you should worry.

The reason this thread belongs here is because it is off topic of the development of games using RPG Maker.

Yeseylon

Regional Manager of OH LOOK A BUTTERFLY
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, when a mod posts blue text, that means you're not in trouble for it (you should still try to heed it though to avoid escalation). It is when you see red text that you should worry.
So, just to protect myself, what usually causes The Red Text Of Death? Flame wars?

Jhale M.

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Eternal Senia is definitely not the type of game I'm looking for. I did play it before and it was good, but it doesn't have the elements that would keep me wanting to play it for a long time. Plus action RPG is really tiring to play.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I try to check out 2-3 projects from the Games In Development forum every fortnight. I usually don't spend more then 30 minutes to an hour on each project, but I do try to leave a comment to share my thoughts on each one I check out. I usually just pick whatever catches my eye, but if you're reading this and would like a little feedback on your project in development let me know and I'll see if I can check it out :)
I drew Resident Evil 2 style lock for my horror game. (Pixels intended)
I wake up to see I now have 73 subscribers on YouTube, that means I've gained 67 subs in the last two days. :LZSexcite:
With all this practice, I'll be hitting competitive in social distancing soon.
Ugh! I have a headache coming on--not sure if it's from the sudden change in weather or caffeine withdraw...only one way to fi d out--Coffee time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LastKingOfScotland