Status
Not open for further replies.

OrenjiBoy135

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm not aware if anyone else has thought of this, but here I have the idea of Rebound Damage.

If the defender's result ends up being higher than the attacker's result, the latter takes damage which is measured by the difference.

EX: The defender has 50 Defense, and the attacker ends up dealing 35 damage. When it hits, the attack rebounds and causes 15 damage to the one attacking since they were 15 points short of striking even with the former's defensive stat.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Please edit your post to remove the blue and red font as these colours are reserved for Mod posts.

Thanks 

Wavelength

MSD Strong
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Assuming I'm understanding you correctly, you are proposing that the attacker takes damage if and only if they would have done zero damage in the first place.

To which I'd say: don't even bother adding in such a mechanic.  At best, you waste your coding efforts just to confuse the player slightly.  It's unlikely that anyone should ever be doing zero damage (due to damage calculations) in a well-designed game, unless the player is just whacking low-level enemies for pleasure or grinding - in which case the player might want to finish off those poor, extremely doomed monsters herself.

I do think there is some room to add "counterattacking" (in the sense that the attacker deals damage to the defender, and the defender also deals damage to the attacker - in the example you give, the defender would take 35 damage but the attacker would take 15 damage) into RPG combat - it's a sometimes-effective mechanic in Tactical Combat design and I think it could actually be quite interesting in an RPG, especially in combination with ways to prevent the counterattacks (ranged weapons, magic, disabling statuses).  But it sounds like this is not what you are talking about.

OrenjiBoy135

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I learned my lesson; Always put a huge amount of thought into an idea before deciding whether it is good or bad.

And if a mod would close the topic, thank you.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
When you want your thread closed, please reports your opening post and ask for it to be closed.  I might miss your post but I will see your report.  

Closing. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

1638170340913.png
Crossover Inn is getting very crowded, and I love it
Climbing to the top #mapping
1638160732198.png
I've started the first steps of the final few maps that I need to make for B:ms. I haven't been able to say that in a really, really long time. It'd probably be a good idea to blog about this or something.
Question for the Mods: What am I supposed to do when I can't make a synopsis 350 words long? (for project recruitment thread) @Shaz @mlogan
The game is meant to be more on the simple side in order to be achievable so I'm a bit stuck...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheodoricThaGood