RPG Maker Jam: Make a game with RTP in a weekend!

Aurélien

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hello there, I'd like to present a new event we're hosting that will take place this week-end!

Please note that this is not an official RM event, we are simply users willing to gather together and have fun. I had permission from Moderators to advertise this.

RPG Maker is a great program, but the genre encourages us to create long, rich and complex games... In short, far too ambitious for some of us. I'm sure a lot of people are having a hard time finishing a game for that reason! That's where the idea of RPG Maker Jam comes from: a weekend to make a game around a theme and constraints. The opportunity to finish a little game!

The theme will be unveiled on Friday, August 18th at 3pm UTC. (If you're confused about timezones, there's a timer on the jam page) Then you'll be able to send your game until Monday, August 21. This way, if you have a wedding this Saturday, you can still find the time to create something. Without revealing the theme, know that a constraint of this first edition will be to use only your RPG Maker core resources (or RTP). Let's see what you can do with them!

If you want to participate, you can click on the Join Jam button to give us an idea of the number of participants. It's okay if you're unsure you'll finish a game, it doesn't commit you to anything. If you don't have an itch.io account, you'll need to sign up, it's super fast and will allow you to upload your game at the end. Then, for a week, everyone will be able to rate the games and comment on them. Who will get the best score??? Who knows!

More details on the rules are available on the jam page. Finally, if you want to chat with other participants during the weekend, you can join our Discord server. There is always someone to answer your questions. Our community is mainly French, but for this occasion we will warmly welcome English-speaking people!

Thanks for reading, I hope to see you there! :kaohi:

Last edited:

Susan

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
No idea...
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Welcome to the RMW forums!
The event sounds like an interesting and fun event. I might have a few hours to spare this weekend (though not sure if I can actually finish anything ;) ). Just curious about a few things:
1) Can we use Yanfly's Core Engine for Ace or MV (only those scripts), as they fixed some of the bugs in the engine?
2) As Yanfly recently released his version of the MV core scripts that improves desktop performance in MV version 1.5, are we allowed to use that in favour of the official version 1.5 MV core scripts that reduced desktop performance compared to version 1.4?
3) Can we re-upload our games outside of itch.io, for example, here?
4) With the restrictions of using only RM RTP, are we allowed to make our own small edits, eg:
  • graphical - clumping, moving tilesets/charactersets, recolours, making behaviours?
  • audio - making own sound effects, or editing the existing RTP audio in terms of changing pitch, speed or delay?
I don't plan to be doing all of these, but I'm asking "just in case". Sorry if some of them have obvious answers. Good luck to all the participants! :kaohi:

Aurélien

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi!
1) I don't remember what bugs Yanfly fixed, but if it's essential for your game, sure. Just don't use those scripts for other features :rock-left:
2) Sure. In fact, you can also use RPG Maker Extender for VX Ace for better productivity, but the tool doesn't seem popular in english communities (I'm not sure it's even documented in english) so it's not in the english rules. I didn't want to trouble participants.
3) Of course, it's your game! Feel free to make a post-jam version. You can upload many files on a single game page on itch.io.
4) You can do small edits and recolor. You can even do parallax mapping, as long as you're just editing the current tileset, you're not drawing something new.
You can't make your own sounds, but can edit RTP audio like you said!

Thanks for asking!

Last edited:

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just to clear things up, is using the character generator that's built into MV allowed?

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'll give it a try. Once question though... can you use the RTP from one maker in another maker? Like if I upsized all the RTP for 2000/2k3 into MV?

Aurélien

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes absolutely! There's a section on the jam page for this type of exceptions. :cutesmile:

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh! Sorry, I was reading it quickly on my phone at work and totally missed that!

Nutty171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for "spamming" with questions, but if I make custom area names as pictures, like these that I made for another project:
Gravel Mountain.png
Would these be allowed? The frame is from a different tileset, so I would certainly change that, and I could replace the stylized text with generic text, also. Basically, would using pictures as area display names be fine if I only used the allotted tileset to make them? (And generic text)

Aurélien

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yep, that would be a clever use of the limits! Go ahead :)

Aurélien

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The jam has ended, you can now play the games! If you're looking for games in English, here are their names: Maria's Walk Service, Night of the Living Harolds, The Truth, The Monarch Gate, Mercure, and Ilias. I may have missed one or two! The language is specified when you click on a game.

Of course, you can comment and rate games, creators will appreciate it :kaoluv: Have fun!

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I would like to thank @Aurélien for creating this Rpg Maker Game Jam.
He has driven me to finish something and has been very accommodating with the other participants as well, giving them more time, freedom and answering immediately to all our questions.

I will try to play the other entries too if I will find some spare time.

Best of luck to everyone that joined!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

FirestormNeos wrote on Neikoku's profile.
the cat in your profile picture is adorable
Are the default-size "chibi" sprites really a bad thing for a project? I'm not planning to sell my game anyway but I was wondering if they were as hated as some videos seem to claim...
Only 9 things left on the to-do list before my game's next big update. Minus the soul-crushing playtesting session, of course! So close...
Retired from RPG Maker.
Anyone else who initially created a character to be a villain only to end up liking them so much that you made them a hero? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fmoviesfco9