RPG Maker Let's Plays and Youtube Monetization

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a Youtube channel where I focus on games. I'm partnered with a network called Legacy Studios, which allows me to earn ad revenue from my content creation. I look specifically for games where the publisher or owner allows people to monetize gaming videos that feature their games.

It's not really something that's often talked about here, but I'm thinking of doing some RPG Maker let's plays, reviews, etc. My question is, can I monetize said let's plays?

If so, I'm open to doing videos of games developed on RPG Maker Web, even ones that are WIP.

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
From personal experience of releasing RPG Maker videos and having them monetized, I haven't had any trouble.

Worse case scenario (and this is a long shot) - Enterbrain/Degica could always claim copyright on your video, not letting you monetize on the video (this won't harm your channel - it will simply mean the money earned from monetization goes to Enterbrain/Degica and not you.  Your video will still be live).

Of course I'm only speaking from personal experience - this isn't really an official answer. :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
In all cases, you'll need the game developers OK and Degica's OK for the copyright reasons.

For free LP's that OK is usually given without any problems, simply because such Let Plays are basically marketing actions for the creator.

However, there are two points where that becomes critical and should be handled carefully: When the LPler tries to take the game out of context and if there is money involved.

You HAVE to ask because there are a lot of resources here that are only free for non-commercial purposes, and advertisements that bring money might count as commercial depending on what TOS is on what resources. That is in addition to the fact that some developers would like a share of such ad money because you're making money on their work.

Kyrie

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You should be okay.

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
In all cases, you'll need the game developers OK and Degica's OK for the copyright reasons.

For free LP's that OK is usually given without any problems, simply because such Let Plays are basically marketing actions for the creator.

However, there are two points where that becomes critical and should be handled carefully: When the LPler tries to take the game out of context and if there is money involved.

You HAVE to ask because there are a lot of resources here that are only free for non-commercial purposes, and advertisements that bring money might count as commercial depending on what TOS is on what resources. That is in addition to the fact that some developers would like a share of such ad money because you're making money on their work.
That's exactly the answer I needed. And for that reason, too. I can only imagine how long it would take to verify that all the resources used in the game are safe to monetize, and to get permission from not only the developer, but Degica, and all the people who wrote each individual script, produced every asset...

The sad thing is allowing Youtube monetization for gameplay videos can be a major plus for the developers, as it gives people incentive to play and record their games.

B.Ultimus

Drinker of Coffee
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The sad thing is allowing Youtube monetization for gameplay videos can be a major plus for the developers, as it gives people incentive to play and record their games.
This has been a hot topic in the LP community for quite a long time - and when bigger Youtubers get the Copyright hit from companies like Nintendo and Ubisoft, there's always the argument of 'this will help you in the long run, why are you doing this?'

The fact is, from a legal standpoint - it's the developer to do with what they wish - whether we support it or not.

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This has been a hot topic in the LP community for quite a long time - and when bigger Youtubers get the Copyright hit from companies like Nintendo and Ubisoft, there's always the argument of 'this will help you in the long run, why are you doing this?'

The fact is, from a legal standpoint - it's the developer to do with what they wish - whether we support it or not.
I know, but my comment was also aimed at people working on games who have yet to decide which stance to take.

EDIT: The position you take on Youtube monetization will greatly affect how people feel about not only your game, but your company as a whole.

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
EDIT: The position you take on Youtube monetization will greatly affect how people feel about not only your game, but your company as a whole.
True, but unfortunately there are other factors that go into the problematic, that have nothing to do with the intentions or wishes of either the LPler or the IP-holder. For example a third company can try to use an extreme LP to void the original copyright (or at least block sales while the copyright is being checked in court, resulting in problems for the original IP holder).

Or they might simply be contract-bound not to allow redistribution of footage from part of the content (original music artist for example).

Or half a dozen other effects like the question if a resource is still free to use if displayed in a monetized LP like discussed above...

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
True, but unfortunately there are other factors that go into the problematic, that have nothing to do with the intentions or wishes of either the LPler or the IP-holder. For example a third company can try to use an extreme LP to void the original copyright (or at least block sales while the copyright is being checked in court, resulting in problems for the original IP holder).

Or they might simply be contract-bound not to allow redistribution of footage from part of the content (original music artist for example).

Or half a dozen other effects like the question if a resource is still free to use if displayed in a monetized LP like discussed above...
Not worth it then.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Not worth it then.
It's always worth asking if LP's are allowed - because a lot of people on this board would love LPs of their games.

It's just something that can't be done without asking first (unless others asked before and the answer is already known)

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's always worth asking if LP's are allowed - because a lot of people on this board would love LPs of their games.

It's just something that can't be done without asking first (unless others asked before and the answer is already known)
It's not the game developers I'm concerned about, it's the individual assets and scripts they used and the people who made them. I have to ask *all* of them if it's okay for me to make a video of a game that uses their work. Unless I'm mistaken.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It's not the game developers I'm concerned about, it's the individual assets and scripts they used and the people who made them. I have to ask *all* of them if it's okay for me to make a video of a game that uses their work. Unless I'm mistaken.
No, I think that work can be expected from the game creator (as long as that is not some kiddy who doesn't know what he's doing, but those rarely create games worth of a LP).

Because the game creator already has a list of his credits and knows the TOS of the resources he used, so it should be simple work for him/her to check that and confirm it to you.

If he can't because he didn't make a credit list - see kiddy...

Blinn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I'm so lucky then because when I created the building blocks of Uniques United, the only thing I imported rather than hand-designed were the scripts. But I had a terrible time tracing them back to their original authors in some cases. I'm not a kid, but having developed this game entirely by myself, the credits list was a major complication on my part.

Fortunately, none of the videos I recorded of the game were monetized.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Based on this screenshot alone, which one would you sell, and which to equip?
Some random sketch-letons.

I have a strong urge to make a tutorial video of all the random things I've learned since starting on my game. little helpful tips and stuff that may help people.
Do you guys think it's better to have all members in your team from the beginning (then you can pick who battles) or you gain team members as the story goes?
PL: Patch polonizujący do RPG Makera 2003 prawie gotowy! Mamy przetłumaczoną bazę danych (projekt), polskie fonty, wiadomości walki i jakieś 90% edytora.
Do przetłumacznia pozostało te 10% edytora i plik pomocy. Niedługo więcej informacji!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerilate