RPG Maker Mechanics That Must Change In 2018?

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just list mechanics you feel are over-saturated, etc coming into 2018.

In my opinion first off side view battle is way over-saturated. It is far more rare now to see front view as the first thing most people change on their games is turning it to side view, at least in my opinion.

Another that's not really a mechanic but more-so how a creator words it is "demos". I'm not sure what the true definition for demo is but back in the day it was something to really look forward to for popular releases as it usually consisted of the full game just cut in a piece with some characters and functions missing. Far to often I see people release a game not even 10% finished and call it a "demo", it really should be called a beta or alpha or w.e.

Last one I'll list is very simple yet 85% of games do the same thing. The title options. Yes people rename it 1000x different ways but it's usually always in the same spot and more or less has the same three options.

This is not dissing anyone who has done these things as I'm guilty of 2 of these but it's just to forewarn people like I wish I was warned working on my game if you use these mechanics your game will have similarities with most other games out there.

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Remember when the time people wish to have default sideview battle as a default battle? Yeah, a good time.
I still prefer sideview battle for some reasons other than frontview. One of it is that I could tell who is doing the action, and who is getting hit. I can hardly tell the same thing in frontview battle system, at least, in default UI model.

Last one I'll list is very simple yet 85% of games do the same thing. The title options. Yes people rename it 1000x different ways but it's usually always in the same spot and more or less has the same three options.
Then what are you suggesting? Put 4th option for a score board?

Agree about demo, although I never played a demo of RM nowdays since I made a comeback. The demo is should be a demonstration of something though. There is a goal within the demo, like proofing your concept, showing your custom battle system to ask for feedback, or something

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Remember when the time people wish to have default sideview battle as a default battle? Yeah, a good time.
I still prefer sideview battle for some reasons other than frontview. One of it is that I could tell who is doing the action, and who is getting hit. I can hardly tell the same thing in frontview battle system, at least, in default UI model.

Then what are you suggesting? Put 4th option for a score board?

Agree about demo, although I never played a demo of RM nowdays since I made a comeback. The demo is should be a demonstration of something though. There is a goal within the demo, like proofing your concept, showing your custom battle system to ask for feedback, or something

Yes side view does have a huge advantage over front view. Sometimes wish there was like a diagonal view or something different. It just has got to the point most games battles just look the same. Meh.

Sorry I am a bit tired the I meant to say yes people rename the options but the placement and looks are almost always the same. Padding can be removed by default scripts and same with the placement of said options.

Glad someone else gets the demo thing lol.

vico

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMXP
So why not add more battle system to choose? It will help to diversificate the games...

TheoAllen

Self-proclaimed jack of all trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
So why not add more battle system to choose? It will help to diversificate the games...
By add, you mean modifying the current RMMV to include more battle system options?
I'm afraid it won't be that simple

Leon Kennedy

Restaff Novice
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV

It would just be hard I assume. Only ways left you could really go is like backwards where your actor is in the enemies usual spot and the enemy is the one you can't see front of. Or like I said above something like a diagonal battle. Which probably would only be done via scripts unless the developers decide to add a different option on an update or something lol.

Or I totally forgot the RTB where you don't go to a battle scene, but that itself is limiting as battlers have so much more details.

Last edited:

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If it's not sideview, 99% of my interest is immediately gone. If it's not ATB, 80% of my interest is gone.

I think the biggest thing that needs to change is people not actually ever finishing their games. They put out demos at the very most and basically abandon it when they don't get the feedback they were looking for. I think it makes them feel like all their effort trying to put in all these custom assets wasn't worth it so they quit and never really come back. You can have the most fancy title screen you want but if you don't keep making, it's not worth it. Personally, I think it's best to just finish at least one personal project before you try to do anything commercial, and with that personal project, you should just do what you think is best and be open to criticism but keep a set of core values you want for your game that no one can touch or change. Use that as your drive to finish it, and work hard to be proud of that project.

That's how I work, anyway. There's too many makers trying to please other people but end up getting burnt out because they never tried to please them selves. They never established what they wanted out of their projects, and thus never feel truly accomplished.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Leon Kennedy I agree on the terminology when it comes to Demos, Betas, Alphas, etc.

Personally, I'd like to see more modifications of existing plugins and resources. For example, I'm seeing a lot of devs taking plugins and just throwing them into their game without configuring anything. Most of the devs I've seen don't even bother changing the graphics that come with the plugin for demonstration purposes. To me, that's just laziness.

I will admit... Even though I get a little sick of overused mechanics and resources... The "overused" argument is a weak argument, in my opinion. I believe that just because something is overused, doesn't mean it needs to be changed. I'd just prefer that it be changed. lol. But realistically, it either works, or it doesn't. I also try consider the fact that even simple changes can be difficult to make with the MV engine, especially if you don't know Javascript.

There's too many makers trying to please other people but end up getting burnt out because they never tried to please them selves. They never established what they wanted out of their projects, and thus never feel truly accomplished.

@SOC Very true.

velan235

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Indonesia
Primarily Uses
actually finished a game.

don't overuse something just because it's available , ie. yanfly script is pretty decent but the 7++ equipment slots is not always needed, formation script that doesn't add any depth to your game or , over 20 variables in your status screen that only have minimum to no impact to the game. I think "less is more" quotes really fit right now. thanks to the community , finding any basic script is really easy right now , but instead of adds everything , why don't just focus on the system that you really want to show / achieve?

I remember most 2k/2k3 RM games are more interesting in general , because how simple the presentation is and they focused on the core mechanic for the title with all the custom limitation, and it actually more playable rather than "throw-in all these script because they looks great".

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I've humm'd and haw'd, and have decided that this is probably better in 'General Discussion'. We're not talking about design of a mechanic here, as such.

[mod]Moving this to General Discussion[/mod]

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
ATB is honestly overused in my opinion. Also, remember, MV was not designed for ATB. Yanfly dropped ATB for that reason. So those of you who want ATB...best not get an MV game then.

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
ATB is honestly overused in my opinion. Also, remember, MV was not designed for ATB. Yanfly dropped ATB for that reason. So those of you who want ATB...best not get an MV game then.
Umm, just because MV was not designed for ATB doesn't mean it doesn't work or work well for for MV. ATB is by far my favorite battle system when it comes to classic RPGs, and I can never have enough of it. Good luck finding an RPG Maker that best supports ATB outside 2k3 which has its own host of massive issues, so that leaves MV to be the next best option. I don't enjoy turn based very much at all, and every time I play any game with it (even FF10) I'm wishing it was ATB instead. Wanna' know what the three most popular and favorited RPGs of all time (Chrono Trigger, FF7 and FF6) have in common? They're all ATB.

Here's to hoping the next RPG Maker after MV establishes sideview ATB as the default like 2k3.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Side-view battle is over-saturated, first, because it's one of two options given by the program. Second, because it's more popular than the other option available, which is first-person view battle.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The over reliance of plugins just because they look good so you throw them in there and they add no value to your game/story.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually, no, it doesn't. Yanfly dropped support for ATB for a reason, and it was the way states are designed for the engine does not work with ATB (on top of other things). So good luck finding MV ATB games that aren't buggy messes, as since Yanfly dropped support for it, there's only Victor's plug-in for it, which I have no idea if it is done or not. So...basically, if you insist it has to be ATB, best just forget about playing any MV games then, as if no one is making or supporting plug-ins for it, you are just not going to get it. And that I'm afraid is a hard fact due to the fact the engine is marketed as being able to make a game *without* coding.

Also, I personally think ATB is overdone, as the AAA industry has WAY overused it. I almost groan when I see yet another ATB game due to that.

Edit: Here's the explanation as to why by Yanfly if curious. Go to the first post on that page and read the quoted post. https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/yep-yanfly-engine-plugins.48860/page-234

Last edited:

SOC

Be your own hero
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
'Kay, well, I'm gonna' make awesome ATB games in MV regardless of what you say, and while they may not have the perfect polish of games such as FFRK and FF Dimensions, they're gonna' be more than adequate quality to satisfy the need for more ATB gauge games today. With enough practice and refining, getting through the tick based issues can still work just fine if you design with those issues in mind and work around them creatively.

You say things like it's overused, I say things like it's no where near used enough. We've moved far into active battle systems and away from turn based, so I really don't know what AAA games you're referring to in the last 10 or so years that "overuse" ATB. 10 didn't. 11 didn't. 12 kind've did but it's more active than true ATB. 13 is more active than true ATB. 14 didn't. Haven't touched 15 so I dunno' but it looks like KH to me. Then you have FFRK which isn't AAA... so what AAA games are you referring to? I'd love to play them. If you're talking about RPG Maker games then, well, I don't really care what other RPG Maker games do, because I'm gonna' do whatever I want to do, regardless of any fads. But from what I see, it seems like CTB or just STB were the most popular systems for RPG Maker games overall.

I groan when I don't see any more ATB games.

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@bgillisp Not saying you are wrong but Yanfly dropped support for CTB as well. Just completely dropped support for the tick-based battle systems but was able to do the CTB-like Battle System in the last few months. So there could be some hope for ATB-like system too. I wouldn't call it hard no but yeah currently you won't see many MV games with ATB that is completely stable. Someone might figure it out some day!

GrandmaDeb

Modern Exteriors Posted!
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
<----------------------------------------- old cranky lady chiming in

Oh ha. I remember when we had a member who wanted to draw free hand backgrounds for his game. He was publicly excoriated. Now we call it parallax mapping and he was frankly ahead of his time. If a bit awkward with people. =] Artists, creative people. It takes all kinds.

Today's run of the mill is tomorrow's new black/orange/retro/whatever.

Solution: make your own kind of music. Make something that sings to your own heart. Do your best. Choose a reasonable goal and finish it. And if everyone doesn't like the RTP, or Ralph, or side view battlers, or your tired old scripts, or whatever, really, did you spend all that money and time to be adored? Or to do what you love?

Some day, I will make a game out of the stories I tell to my grandchildren, and a visual novel with my son in law's comic art, but for now, I want to have FUN, and life is too short to worry about this year's fuss. Lol, next year it will be all the rage!

You want to "go commercial?" You are in a whole different situation. No one cares what you think. Find the secret. Pander to the masses. Make millions. Billions. I'm not complaining. It works. Enjoy the hordes of treasure rolling in.

But for the rest of us, have more fun. Life is short. Enjoy important people and enjoy your days.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@SOC : Honestly, if you like ATB that much, then make your game ATB, and figure out a way to code it into MV (Yanfly said you'll have to overwrite how the engine does states for it to work well, so that might be where to start). The secret to making a good game is like you posted a few posts above, establish what you want in a game and go from there. I'm just saying don't except it when you play other's MV games due to how the engine was marketed and sold.

Maybe someday there will be an RPGMaker which uses ATB or CTB as default, and then we'll see it go the other way.

@Arcmagik : Honestly, I believe it can be done. Just don't expect it in a public plug-in due to how much code you'll have to rewrite and all the plug-ins you'll not be compatible with as a result. In fact, I'd honestly like to code my own CTB system someday, but that's on the back burner for after my first few games are done.

Failivrin

Final Frontiersman
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think the default screen configuration for sideview is too visually crammed, but otherwise it's a worthy mechanic. There's nothing overused in MV that hasn't been overused by major developers. Beyond that, I agree there are many devs with personal problems, but I wouldn't categorize them broadly.
The only thing that consistently annoys me is developers who drop into the community for a week to get answers to their most pressing questions, then their profiles disappear. If you want contributions of knowledge and skill, stay engaged in the forums and give something back!

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Looking back at some sketches, and game design documents on my PC dated summer of 2015. I started development with the release of MZ, but in 2015, I felt a strong desire to make a game out of the blue. I remember feeling sad for no apparent reason, and all these ideas rushed into my head. Now that I think about it, since that day, everything has become easier to do on my PC . . . it’s very creepy.
Everything's going to be alright! We're all in this together. <3
Aaaaannd published my game's tech demo. :D

Feel free to download and play it. And give feedback!
Hey everyone, we know that the edit bar is missing. We're working on it. You can talk about it in the announcement here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/forum-errors-missing-edit-bar-etc.132715/
So, explain why we can no longer use BBC code or smilies in our posts? This sparks much sadness...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finley