Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM
Well I thought it'd have it show up on my project immediately, please tell me I don't have to remake my ENTIRE project.

If you have an old project that needs updating, do the following:

• Make a backup of your project.
  • Create a new project or go to the NewData folder in your RPG Maker MV root (where MV is installed) folder. 
  • Copy the new js files (RPG*.js and Libs Folder) and replace the one in your old project. DO NOT COPY plugins.js or it will replace your plugin settings.
  • Copy index.html files to your current project.
  • It should now be updated!

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Ugh, is it THAT hard to make updates just do everything on their own? x_x

no program I own ever had me do manual stuff for an update.

Last edited by a moderator:

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Lyseth: It can't. There is NO way an installer can find everyone's projects and auto-update them, due to the fact they can be anywhere on the drive, and there might be multiple projects. That is why you have to do that step yourself.

And, if we forced it to replace those files anywhere on the computer, it could easily replace a file that happens to have the same name and isn't related to RPGMaker. Could easy wreck a program or two. And THAT is something no company wants to ever have to deal with.

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I've not counted lately, but I suppose that I have about twenty or so Projects on my drives. It takes about 12 seconds (maybe a bit less...) to update each of them. It seems worth it to me, every once in a blue moon. No big deal, I'd have thought. Maybe it's just me... 

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Ugh, is it THAT hard to make updates just do everything on their own? x_x

no program I own ever had me do manual stuff for an update.
Yes, in this case it borders on impossible (from the perspective of someone that worked on software even larger than this in the past). This takes seconds. The biggest issue most people have is forgetting to have a backup and overwriting their plugins.js, which stores plugin settings.

The instructions our outlined plainly, in increasingly large type as frustrations mount. Therefore, you can

• Follow the instructions, step by step, and have a working, updated project
  • Complain it's too hard and not have an updated project

Pick one. Outside of that, for this update process, we can not help you.

Lyseth

Potato Mage
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, in this case it borders on impossible (from the perspective of someone that worked on software even larger than this in the past). This takes seconds. The biggest issue most people have is forgetting to have a backup and overwriting their plugins.js, which stores plugin settings.

The instructions our outlined plainly, in increasingly large type as frustrations mount. Therefore, you can

• Follow the instructions, step by step, and have a working, updated project
  • Complain it's too hard and not have an updated project

Pick one. Outside of that, for this update process, we can not help you.

Okay okay, sheesh, didn't think the community would get like this. :/

I followed everything you said, here's what happened.

Error.png

YuiDemonia

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was just planning to monitor and read all the comments here but I can't help and stay quiet anymore.

I updated mine by following the actual instructions, step by step and it worked.

The instructions haven't changed since earlier versions, I remember updating mine using the same steps from version 1.0 to 1.2. then to 1.3.1 and now to 1.3.3 without having any issues.

Okay okay, sheesh, didn't think the community would get like this. :/
By what you said, I am included in the community, and I didn't think it's right to generalize the entire community of something you're having hard time comprehending about or simply put, you can't follow.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Three people have specifically said, in response to your post, that you haven't completed the steps.  The instructions are provided in the first post, and Archeia even quoted them in her response a few posts above.

What you have done by applying the update is to update MV - the editor.  What you have not done yet, and still have to do, is manually update any existing projects.

When you apply the update, it affects the editor and any new projects you create.  If you already have existing projects, they will not be updated unless you do it manually.  To do this, you need to copy away your plugins.js file to a safe location so it won't be overwritten, go into the MV program folder and find the newdata folder, then copy the js folder inside that and paste it into your project.  This is what updates your project to 1.3.3.  Then you get your plugins.js file from the safe place you put it so it wouldn't be overwritten, and you paste it back into your project (because the plugins.js file from the newdata/js folder would have replaced it, so you need to put your plugin settings back).  Finally you need to see if all your plugins still work - some of them may have been broken by the update, and if they were, you need to get new versions of those plugins.

Everything you need to know has now been provided.  You need to follow the steps to update your project.

Edit - either I didn't see the other posts, or they were made while I was writing this.  If you've now followed the process to update your project and are getting an error, it's very likely that you have a plugin that no longer works with 1.3.3, and you need to start working through them to figure out which one it is.  In that case, your questions no longer belong in this thread, because the update of MV and of your project is complete.  Hitting F8 will give you the programmer's console, where you will see more information about the error, and you can then post a screenshot in a new thread in the JS/Plugin Support forum to get help for that plugin.

Marquise*

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French-Canadian
No - you just didn't follow the update instructions properly.  Save away the plugins.js file from your project.  Then go to where MV 1.3.3 is installed, find the newdata folder, and copy the entire js folder from there into your project, replacing the existing files.  Then put your previously-saved plugins.js file back where it belongs.  NOW your project will also be updated to 1.3.3 - at this point you might get plugin errors, if you have plugins for earlier engines that need to be updated.  You need to deal with those on a case-by-case basis, seeing if there is a newer version of the plugin available.
Aaaaaaaaah  now it is clear!

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just want to say, thanks for the update!

Yes, everyone, it is a pain to manually have to update your project, but there´s no way we could automate this for you, as it could overwrite important stuff for you or break your project in the process. No one wants that. So manual updating it is, just follow the instructions.

2DGameStudios

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I use the steam version and I never have a issue, I always follow the back up before copying the new files in. I also have my projects on flash drive and external drive as well auto matic backups ever day at 12 am so I don't loose any of the work I am doing. The type undefined is not a function - did you turn all of you plug ins off to see if the project would load? If it does, turn the plug ins on one by one and see which one is causing the issue. 

JLowther

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Out of curiosity, is there a way to launch the application from steam without it automatically updating? I've found the preferences that will keep it from updating until I launch it, but it may come to pass that I one day want to never update RMMV beyond a certain point for one particular project.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Out of curiosity, is there a way to launch the application from steam without it automatically updating? I've found the preferences that will keep it from updating until I launch it, but it may come to pass that I one day want to never update RMMV beyond a certain point for one particular project.

Updates via steam do two things:

1) If the actual software itself requires some kind of fix, it will patch that (this has almost no effect on your actual project files)

2) Updates code in a patch folder for for the ability to update the actual project. This means that in order for to actually update your project, you just need to grab this folders content and place it into your project. If I'm not mistaken, code for older versions is saved too in that director but to be safe you could just make a backup of an older project and save it as whatever older version it is. 

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
VNM

What you can do is go to beta and lock it down to a specific version and it won't update :)

CalamityCons

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello, I recently downloaded this update for RPGMMV, but my version of RPGM is through Steam, and after I downloaded and installed the update MV began asking me for a product key and is working in trial mode. But I don't think I have one, so I don't know what to do or where to go to resolve this issue so that I don't lose my access to RPGMMV after 20 days.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@CalamityCons Steam doesn't need the update setup - instead of updating the steam version, you installed a second copy of the same editor, and only that second copy turned into a trial - if you would start MV through steam to get to your program, it won't ask for a product key and won't be time limited either.

Simply deinstall the trial again and use the correct version - steam automatically updates the editor, you only need to update the projects manually (and that doesn't require the setup).

If you select the wrong version to deinstall, simply deinstall both versions and install the steam version again through steam and NOT through the update-setup.

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I successfully updated to version 1.3.3, however,  I cannot find the following js files in the plugins directory of NewData:

• BattleVoice.js
  • Foreground.js
  • TinyGetInfoWnd.js

Are these a seperate download? I used the "Update Only" link for my update.

Thanks,

NeoPGX

~ King of Cuteness ~
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (US)
Primarily Uses
N/A
I successfully updated to version 1.3.3, however,  I cannot find the following js files in the plugins directory of NewData:

• BattleVoice.js
  • Foreground.js
  • TinyGetInfoWnd.js

Are these a seperate download? I used the "Update Only" link for my update.

Thanks,

They are in the KadokawaPlugins folder located in the DLC folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)

• Jeef

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Caught a guy trying to break into our house today. Appearantly he intended to burgle our neighbor (a 94yo widow) but picked the wrong house. Faced with two angry males he was quick to give up without a fight...
I just joined the club of nerds making their own Excel-Sheets to calculate HP / MP / EXP.. parameter curves
Me: "Finally finished most of my game backlog. Probably time to do some gamedev" | Steam: *offer sales*
If I recorded while I created (what I think is) a small plugin, would you be interested enough in the process to watch it?
I keep trying to explain to clients that the huddle masses behind the old K-Mart are a Fallout Reenactment group. Somehow I don't think they believe me. :LZSskeptic:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfhkjsdhfkjsdfhk