RPG Maker MV 1.3.3 Update

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Software Updates' started by Archeia, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waynee95

waynee95 Lunatic Coder Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @haydengames3 You can go to Steam -> RPG Maker MV -> Properties -> Betas -> Choose v1.3.1.

Biestmann likes this.
  2. haydengames3

haydengames3 Villager Member

First Language:
    English

Thank you, and to everyone else aswell, have a project coming up and I didn't want to let people down, have a good day everyone.

3. Kniff808

Kniff808 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Yeah, I'm having the same json file bug as well.  What a let down.  I can't save any new characters.  So much for working on my games this week.

4. Goldschuss

Goldschuss The creator of Lye Bastion Veteran

First Language:
    German

I wish this could be a general fix for all plugins.

JLowther likes this.
  5. Biestmann

Biestmann Heaven's Height Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

Thank you for suggesting this.

I simply cannot praise you guys on an update that breaks an essential part of the software.

6. JLowther

JLowther Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Created a brand new, empty project with 1.3.2 and deployed it to an iPad3 and it still runs very sluggishly. :(

7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

MV Games need at least Intel Core 2. an Ipad 3 has dual core?

It doesn't even have WebGL which is a requirement. There is canvas mode but that is really slow as it uses CPU directly.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    Kino likes this.
  8. JLowther

JLowther Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

I can't really answer that because all iOS devices have some manner of Apple-designed processor (even the very newest iPhones).

If I have an event set to wait 300 frames, it will take roughly 2X that on the iPad before it completes. Sound works normally, though, and things move more slowly but still not 2X as slow.

This leads me to believe it's an issue with the game artificially choking its framerate some how.

Here's an example of the same deploy of a fresh game running on iPad and Macbook side by side:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67091205/party_compare.mp4

9. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
  10. wintyrbarnes

wintyrbarnes Jack of a Few Trades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thanks so much for all your hard work, everyone! Just updated and everything is running as smoothly as possible. :)  

11. Dalph

Dalph Nega Ralph™ (Retired Villain) Veteran

First Language:
    Italian Curses
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    But guys, do you really expect miracles from MV? You are using Apple devices that are more than 4 years old.

Also the .json bug is something minor come on, I never even bothered using that thing in MV when making my characters. Not even once.

Susan likes this.
  12. CrimsonNightfox

CrimsonNightfox Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh this is well

13. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That you can only take to the pluginwriters themselves and ask them why they don't update their plugins.

The specifications on how to register plugin resources with the engine to prevent their removal on deployment has been part of the helpfile since the "exclude unused files" option had been added, they just have to add those lines to their plugins.

But Degica and Kadokawa can't rewrite all plugins, and they can't even know which plugins need which files, so this has to be done by the plugin writer who wrote the plugin.

14. JLowther

JLowther Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

So at which point in Apple's mobile lineup should MV run properly?

Four years old and are still the most used tablets out there, and iPad2 still has the highest % of usage out of all Apple tablets.

And not trying to be mean, but I hardly consider one 2D object moving across another without dramatic slowing to be a "miracle". :(

15. Artificer

Artificer Creator of worlds Veteran

First Language:
    Español
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So we should wait until the character generation stuff is fixed, should i go back to the 1.3.1 or wait until the 1.3.3? 

16. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    We'll fix the generator hopefully tomorrow. It's really late here (2 am in JP, 1 AM on mine)

2D is actually pretty resource intensive. At least the way RPG Maker is doing it. There is this perfect guide that could help you give an estimate on the size of your file in memory (NOT file size). You will also notice most games will go by with an ATLAS format for sprites (Ragdoll animation) to lessen the load on mobile devices when it came to  sprites. I don't know the lineup of apple products since I personally don't use them, but we'll see.

Marquise*, Volimance, Indsh and 2 others like this.
  17. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    In the article you link, the guy mentions this file format: pvr.ccz. I am unfamiliar with this despite a degree in graphics. It isn't an export option in photoshop, at least not the aging version I have access to. If it's better for the system than .png, how does one export to it, and can MV use this file type? I did some pc configuration stuff and got my game to run smoothly, but my ram is always maxed out because my maps are image based and don't use tyles. I csn play around in it now without a crash, but I'm looking for further optimization. I will adjust what i can per article instructions, but this file type eludes me. Any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Especially how one would convert to this file type and if mv can use it. Thanks, guys.

18. JLowther

JLowther Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

Are there any plans for further optimization on these platforms?

I'm currently working on games that are designed to be played by a parent and child together in front of an iPad (the touch functionality is vital) and was planning to use RMMV to handle characters, events, and whatnot.

I understand if there's no further plans for optimization, but I just need to know now to plan for the future.

19. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

Oh for file types, just keep png in mind. It's technically not for RM per se. But what I wanted to put attention is specifically graphics and audio. Because we have so many people reporting about these two, I want to raise more awareness on how it works back end. If you have a 1k + image, you should be really wary and think of how it will impact game performance. That sort of thing. Especially when we have so much parallax users.

This is why @Yanfly and I are trying to making tools that does not require users to do parallax mapping. Because they are bad for HTML5 game development.

@JLowther we'll try asking KDKW first.

Ashouse and JLowther like this.
  20. taarna23

taarna23 Marshmallow Princess Global Mod

First Language:
    English

There is a gigantic difference between something running off of native (compiled) code, and something running off of interpreted code. JavaScript is interpreted code. Most, if not all systems running on mobile primarily from JavaScript are going to face these issues. I imagine JavaScript was chosen for this engine as it is highly approachable from a programming perspective.

In the case of MV, the heavy lifting is done by a web browser shell with the game running inside. Any systems that use this format are naturally not going to be as fast as something that is compiled into the native format for that particular device.

In a case like this, it comes down to developers to optimise as best they can with the system they choose to use.

Ooo! Do want. I've never been a fan of parallax mapping, and never quite succeeded in impressing on others how bad for performance and game size it is.

Archeia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.