Status
Not open for further replies.

Kniff808

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah, I'm having the same json file bug as well.  What a let down.  I can't save any new characters.  So much for working on my games this week.

Goldschuss

A.K.A. Lye
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Fix to some Kadokawa scripts so that their files are not removed by the "Removed unused files" in Deployment

I wish this could be a general fix for all plugins.

Biestmann

Studio Biest
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@haydengames3 You can go to Steam -> RPG Maker MV -> Properties -> Betas -> Choose v1.3.1.

Thank you for suggesting this.

I simply cannot praise you guys on an update that breaks an essential part of the software.

JLowther

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Created a brand new, empty project with 1.3.2 and deployed it to an iPad3 and it still runs very sluggishly. :(

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Created a brand new, empty project with 1.3.2 and deployed it to an iPad3 and it still runs very sluggishly. :(

MV Games need at least Intel Core 2. an Ipad 3 has dual core?

It doesn't even have WebGL which is a requirement. There is canvas mode but that is really slow as it uses CPU directly.

Last edited by a moderator:

JLowther

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
MV Games need at least Intel Core 2. an Ipad 3 has dual core?

I can't really answer that because all iOS devices have some manner of Apple-designed processor (even the very newest iPhones).

If I have an event set to wait 300 frames, it will take roughly 2X that on the iPad before it completes. Sound works normally, though, and things move more slowly but still not 2X as slow.

This leads me to believe it's an issue with the game artificially choking its framerate some how.

Here's an example of the same deploy of a fresh game running on iPad and Macbook side by side:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67091205/party_compare.mp4

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

wintyrbarnes

Jack of a Few Trades
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thanks so much for all your hard work, everyone! Just updated and everything is running as smoothly as possible. :)  

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (RM Tyrant)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
But guys, do you really expect miracles from MV? You are using Apple devices that are more than 4 years old.

Also the .json bug is something minor come on, I never even bothered using that thing in MV when making my characters. Not even once.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wish this could be a general fix for all plugins.

That you can only take to the pluginwriters themselves and ask them why they don't update their plugins.

The specifications on how to register plugin resources with the engine to prevent their removal on deployment has been part of the helpfile since the "exclude unused files" option had been added, they just have to add those lines to their plugins.

But Degica and Kadokawa can't rewrite all plugins, and they can't even know which plugins need which files, so this has to be done by the plugin writer who wrote the plugin.

JLowther

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

So at which point in Apple's mobile lineup should MV run properly?

But guys, do you really expect miracles from MV? You are using Apple devices that are more than 4 years old.

Four years old and are still the most used tablets out there, and iPad2 still has the highest % of usage out of all Apple tablets.

And not trying to be mean, but I hardly consider one 2D object moving across another without dramatic slowing to be a "miracle". :(

Artificer

Creator of worlds
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Español
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So we should wait until the character generation stuff is fixed, should i go back to the 1.3.1 or wait until the 1.3.3? 

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
We'll fix the generator hopefully tomorrow. It's really late here (2 am in JP, 1 AM on mine)

And not trying to be mean, but I hardly consider one 2D object moving across another without dramatic slowing to be a "miracle". :(

2D is actually pretty resource intensive. At least the way RPG Maker is doing it. There is this perfect guide that could help you give an estimate on the size of your file in memory (NOT file size). You will also notice most games will go by with an ATLAS format for sprites (Ragdoll animation) to lessen the load on mobile devices when it came to  sprites. I don't know the lineup of apple products since I personally don't use them, but we'll see.

Ashouse

Resident Zombie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
We'll fix the generator hopefully tomorrow. It's really late here (2 am in JP, 1 AM on mine)

2D is actually pretty resource intensive. At least the way RPG Maker is doing it. There is this perfect guide that could help you give an estimate on the size of your file in memory (NOT file size). You will also notice most games will go by with an ATLAS format for sprites (Ragdoll animation) to lessen the load on mobile devices when it came to  sprites. I don't know the lineup of apple products since I personally don't use them, but we'll see.

In the article you link, the guy mentions this file format: pvr.ccz. I am unfamiliar with this despite a degree in graphics. It isn't an export option in photoshop, at least not the aging version I have access to. If it's better for the system than .png, how does one export to it, and can MV use this file type? I did some pc configuration stuff and got my game to run smoothly, but my ram is always maxed out because my maps are image based and don't use tyles. I csn play around in it now without a crash, but I'm looking for further optimization. I will adjust what i can per article instructions, but this file type eludes me. Any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Especially how one would convert to this file type and if mv can use it. Thanks, guys.

JLowther

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

Are there any plans for further optimization on these platforms?

I'm currently working on games that are designed to be played by a parent and child together in front of an iPad (the touch functionality is vital) and was planning to use RMMV to handle characters, events, and whatnot.

I understand if there's no further plans for optimization, but I just need to know now to plan for the future.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
In the article you link, the guy mentions this file format: pvr.ccz. I am unfamiliar with this despite a degree in graphics. It isn't an export option in photoshop, at least not the aging version I have access to. If it's better for the system than .png, how does one export to it, and can MV use this file type? I did some pc configuration stuff and got my game to run smoothly, but my ram is always maxed out because my maps are image based and don't use tyles. I csn play around in it now without a crash, but I'm looking for further optimization. I will adjust what i can per article instructions, but this file type eludes me. Any info on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Especially how one would convert to this file type and if mv can use it. Thanks, guys.

Oh for file types, just keep png in mind. It's technically not for RM per se. But what I wanted to put attention is specifically graphics and audio. Because we have so many people reporting about these two, I want to raise more awareness on how it works back end. If you have a 1k + image, you should be really wary and think of how it will impact game performance. That sort of thing. Especially when we have so much parallax users.

A texture is an in-memory representation of an image made up of individual pixels. Each pixel uses a certain amount of memory to represent its color. A texture’s memory size is therefore simply the product of width * height * sizeof(color).

Before I go any further, I like to stress it again: the size of an image file is much smaller than the size of the texture generated from the image. Don’t use image file sizes to make memory usage estimations.

Most common are 32-Bit and 16-Bit textures which use 4 and 2 Bytes respectively per pixel. A 4096×4096 image with 32-Bit color depth therefore uses 64 MB memory. Let that sink in for a moment …

This is why @Yanfly and I are trying to making tools that does not require users to do parallax mapping. Because they are bad for HTML5 game development.

@JLowther we'll try asking KDKW first.

taarna23

Marshmallow Princess
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

There is a gigantic difference between something running off of native (compiled) code, and something running off of interpreted code. JavaScript is interpreted code. Most, if not all systems running on mobile primarily from JavaScript are going to face these issues. I imagine JavaScript was chosen for this engine as it is highly approachable from a programming perspective.

In the case of MV, the heavy lifting is done by a web browser shell with the game running inside. Any systems that use this format are naturally not going to be as fast as something that is compiled into the native format for that particular device.

In a case like this, it comes down to developers to optimise as best they can with the system they choose to use.

This is why @Yanfly and I are trying to making tools that does not require users to do parallax mapping. Because they are bad for HTML5 game development.

Ooo! Do want. I've never been a fan of parallax mapping, and never quite succeeded in impressing on others how bad for performance and game size it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

halloween_test_img.png
Memory of a Halloween party.

SCRAP IT OR KEEP IT?
Studying more game mechanics and game design... If someone have some tips, I would be happy to read!
I finally caved and bought myself a Switch.
I'm having some trouble finding an established sub-genre to classify our current project. Effervesce Fallacy™ is loosely based on chaos theory . . . does anyone know what this sub-genre is called?
I figured I should start off with a game this (I think at least)would be easier to program. Demonstrating Card drawing for Black Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saerith