RPG Maker MV 1.3.3 Update

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Software Updates' started by Archeia, Oct 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

The older RPG Makers are not HTML5. You are missing my point. Referring to older RM games that run on a different language and framework is not a good basis for RPG Maker MV games because of what @Taarachnia said as well. 

Parallax mapping is something that is done to get around the limitations of previous RMs. It's not a feature.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
    taarna23 likes this.
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

You could say the same of being a PC product and only capable of producing games that run on PC.

Just because something "has always been that way" does not mean it's a good thing or that it should always be that way in the future.

If there are tools that allow you to have the look of a parallaxed map without actually doing parallaxing, that's going to be an amazing thing and will be MUCH better!

mlogan likes this.
  3. mrdankles

mrdankles Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    FPS SYNC will fix these issues. It runs double slow on my iPhone 6S, deploy with that plug in, turn ur on and boom. Way better FPS and play. DO NOT disable FPS sync after you turn it on, it will cause the game to lock up. 

JLowther likes this.
  4. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I'm only talking about legacy and success from the past. (You are a lot on the tech-side ;)  no pb with that.)

The fact it was (at least partly) made possible by games created with that technic. MV needs to provide that level-design technic to be as successful, imo.

And on the bright side, I added that now it finally looks fine, just like with ACE (sort of... without further tests), even with big badass maps, it seems to be alright.

So, CONGRATULATION guys. (well, this new update messed up the battle-background plugin from MOG HUNTER and I'll have to write him now haha)

And oh, something I am wondering about the CHANGE LOG we can read on Steam:

• Fix to the Skill owned condition in Event Condition 
    • Fixed some crashes in mobile play 
    • Fixed to the Scroll Text event command 
    • Pixi Bug: Unnatural Tile Scaling 
    • Pixi Bug: resolution is not defined 
    • WebGL Blend Mode: Overlay not working on certain features 
    • Character Generator:ID can now not be sequential, and qXXX can be used for ID too 
    • Fix to the damage popup when drain skill is reflected 
    • TilingSprite Scale Bug 
    • Fix to prevent negative value to be entered in Attack State 
    • Support for Direct Input Controllers (not ALL controller are supported)

The bullet points number 4, 5, 6 and 9 don't have the mention "fixed" or anything that would suggest it's something that is fixed, so we can wonder if it's instead some kind of "new bug" or some kind of "known issues"?

Not saying that, I would actually love any improvement and I'm always eager for novelty, the thing is that RM's editor is kind of "written in stone" so any stuff we want to add will always be a little cumbersome and/or add some trouble to the process, so I think that parallax-mapping is still a good option (or should at least be respected as a choice), especially when you have good skills with managing layers with photoshop-like softwares, it might be hard and boring sometime but it would be the same with tools that are created "on top of RM's editor".

Not sure it's a better option, but I'm ready to see any tool that could really facilitate level design without giving up artistic freedom. Would be great tbh, but unfortunately we have to deal with RM's (editor more specifically) limitations at some point.

5. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

I'm not sure what you meant by just on tech side but I'll have you know I'm a user (for 15 years) before I was an official. XD

6. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Small world ;)  I'm also on the French community since 1999, too bad international communication was not a thing back then.
    That's why you should especially know how important parallax-mapping was for RM to gain popularity and a huge momentum in the west.

(not with RM95, more with 2000, the Don Miguel version that started everything, whatever we think about the “freeware misunderstanding” at the time lol)

Even if it's not a real feature of the software, we should keep in mind that it shaped the communities and brought so many users here, it gave some of the most beloved games too!

(games or demos that motivated others to get RM and do the same stuff)

Well, this was my point. Taking into account that RM’s history is linked to this kind of mapping-trick (even if parallax mapping never clearly was a Japanese thing for sure), and this is why we should make sure we still make that available (even if users need to be more cautious with MV especially on mobile devices) in order to make sure this new RM get the same success. I often advocate MV on the French communities but many time I hear "well no thanks, I'll stick to ACE because parallax-mapping […] blah-blah".

Now things get better (about memory leak etc) MV will probably get more sales, especially after some good games release in the future.

PS: I didn't say you are "just" on the tech side, I said "you are a lot on the tech side" ;) maybe it's a "frenglish" thing but I simply meant that you seem to have a technical mind and assumed that my post was all about it, when I was actually talking about community stuff and how important it is to keep some features alive, because it's part of our identity.

It's for the best. I'm very happy you guys managed to (apparently) fix the memory leak, it might still be present somewhere but so far it's not game breaking, at least on desktop PC with a real GPU. I'll keep stressing it on modest devices see how far I can push to give further feedback if I see some things of concern. Keep up the good work and sorry for that wall of text.

Marquise* likes this.
  7. Dr. Delibird

Dr. Delibird Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Good job on the update :)

Tbh I didn't even know of the existence of at least half of the bugs/issues, but hey they are fixed so that is totes awesome.

I can't use it yet as their is an incompatibility issue with literally just one plugin (it had to be only one didn't...), but that's not an issue that needs to be brought up here obviously.

Keep up the good work fam :D

8. Ashouse

Ashouse Resident Zombie Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    @KaYsEr thank you for championing parallax mapping. It's how I like to do things. I'm one of those who has no problems with layers even when things seem "complicated". I haven't even tried the new update, but if it's much better as you say, I will be happy. I gave up on the mobile aspect of mv and was just designing for pc, anyway. Vx ace should be my choice then, no? Lol, No, there are plugins for mv that would be hard to live without. I haven't found a side view script for ace that i like/easy to use/well documented/easy to understand. Ace came out before Obama "secured" the internet and everybody went license crazy, so many resources don't have a clear license. :) So many reasons i'd like to stick with mv and make my pretty maps the way I'm used to.

KaYsEr likes this.
  9. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM

No not at all. I am an artist first and foremost. And while I agree to some extent about prerendered/parallax mapping, I have seen how many people have formatted their graphics that will essentially give them performance issues because I've been there, done that and have thought of different ways to get past against the limitation.

I think it is extremely important for a developer to be tech sided too, not just slam five 2000x2000 image and expect it to work without repercussion in an engine that is not made for games like that.

Marquise*, mlogan and Ashouse like this.
  10. Ashouse

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    ^ hmph. Show off :p

11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Because everytime I reply something to some users they assume I don't make games :rsad:

I gotta backup my claims yo.

JLowther likes this.
  12. Ashouse

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    You know I'm teasing, right? :)

13. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I know but I have to explain anyway just in case ;3

14. KaYsEr

KaYsEr Koruldia Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

So you are an artist and super coder, life is unfair >< lol. (pretty good gfx in the link you gave, great job)

I've seen Doodads and "Tiled importation" so far, sure it looks interesting but it seems like "another layer of complexity on top of MV", like for example with Doodads we can't see the map we created (useless editor) unless we enter "playtest", and we have to deal with a big list of items etc.

Between that and big .PSD files to manage, I feel like the PSD might be better for people who are used to it, it will depend of your "way to work".

But still... This Doodads plugin is crazy impressive by itself. Huge respect for that.

And I was just thinking.

...Would be super great if we could sometime use 16bits PNG (A4444) instead of 32 (A8888), it could simply be half sized in RAM.

I didn't try yet but I have a feeling that MV will "convert" a 16 bits PNG into 32 bits once in RAM, I'll still give it a shot 'cause dreaming is nice. :)  

Yes it's better, it's getting better each update of course. And more are coming, by the time we can finish our games MV will probably be perfect.

If you are not even aiming for mobiles then you might be extra safe. Just don't go "too big in one shot". (many smaller maps versus one big.)

15. YuiDemonia

YuiDemonia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I was about to update mine to 1.3.2 but I guess I'll wait for a little while specially I rely on many plugins from different creators. I would wait for them to update their plugins first before I jump with the herd. :D

16. jupitersdaughter

jupitersdaughter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hm? My system says it's 1.3.3?

Screenshot (24).png

17. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    there were minor problems with 1.3.2, and they promised a fix within a short time - looks like they numbered up for that fix and you already have it (steam auto-updates)

18. jupitersdaughter

jupitersdaughter Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Oh I see. Mine didn't come with the new plugins though. Did they remove them?

19. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    1.3.3 Steam has the fixes. But the offline version will take a bit since the file is uploading.

20. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I really doubt that - are you looking in the correct place? Projects don't get updated, you always need to copy those files manually before they're available in a project.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.