Not open for further replies.

takuantoono

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Japanese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm afraid that ver 1.3.3 still has lethal memory leak bug which might cause crash your game very quickly. 

To replicate this, please make new project and implement test play, but what you need to do is only to keep opening and closing menu screen, while watching task manager.

Then you can probably see dramatic ascending amount used memory (30-50 MB par one open- close ), which will result in heavy lagging or crash game screen.

And more, I realized that even only "show text" command or very normal battle screen also has memory leak.

Any patches for memory leak can do nothing this problem.

I hope developer team already be aware of this serious problem and it can be solved next update soon.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Might be a good habit to get close to a POT (for some situations when possible) in order to exploit the "waste of memory" once in RAM, but keep in mind nothing in MV can really be a POT since the tile-size is 48 by default. 16 or 32 are POT... 48 is not, the next POT is 64.

Maybe those people advocating POT are talking from a 3D-texturing point of view (in a real time situation of course, because in CGI trust me we don't bother with optimization that much haha), no time to read those links tonight I'm afraid, but I think you can relax about that, it's not an issue for RM imo.

Exactly right when in terms of "people coming from 3d texturing." I think I'm more worried in terms of textures I use for graphics effects / particles. And the fact that I grew up learning that making an texture atlas is a preferred method for designing games. So for particle systems/light systems I cut out from a POT atlas. 

I just found it shocking to learn that NPOT was a thing, and that people advocated it as a reason why memory may be high. What I'm actually wondering is if they meant really large pointless images (for parallaxes and stuff) and cutting those down into smaller pieces, over using NPOT... 

Whatever, its not the biggest of deal breakers/problems... just a concern/confusion I wanted to sort.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This problem happen only if you work with the actual version of YEP Core Engine, and happen with the fullscren mode too. If you disable the COre Engine, the game runs fine. I already reported this bug to @Yanfly in his topic:

Try this. Press F4, then if it's still like that, Press F3 again. If it's right it should be big.

I actually requested @Yanfly to add something in his Core Engine code because I wasn't sure if it's going to get approved. It was causing some rendering problems. But before that, I wanted to be sure that it's something you already tried doing that first.

I just found it shocking to learn that NPOT was a thing, and that people advocated it as a reason why memory may be high. What I'm actually wondering is if they meant really large pointless images (for parallaxes and stuff) and cutting those down into smaller pieces, over using NPOT... 

We were talking about how people are using more than 1024 (or even bordering there) for parallaxes and some such. It's one thing if it's just ONE image, it usually hits 3~5 or so images per map. That is a problem.

Anisoft

Great Desu King
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
We were talking about how people are using more than 1024 (or even bordering there) for parallaxes and some such. It's one thing if it's just ONE image, it usually hits 3~5 or so images per map. That is a problem.

Oh okay, I thought it was something like that. Sorry for the derail and for clarifying. 

Dad3353

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm afraid that ver 1.3.3 still has lethal memory leak bug...

Whilst it's true that memory usage increases dramatically if one 'hammers' the Menu On-Off, it also reduces automatically after a short while, presumably when the 'Garbage Collection' kicks in, every few minutes. In 'real life' gaming, this is unlikely to be a problem; the memory usage will not cumulate fast enough to 'crash' a Game (at least, that's my experience since 1.3.3...). Projects that I had that could not play for more than a few minutes now run smoothly, with no more 'crashes'.

Hope this helps.

CrimsonNightfox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I just wanna know how I could fix the size. That's all. All this heavy info is putting a strain on my head. Give it to me short please?

Hikitsune-Red

火狐 - Red =^~^=
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I just wanna know how I could fix the size. That's all. All this heavy info is putting a strain on my head. Give it to me short please?

At the moment, Archeia's fix below this post.

Archeia

Level 99 Demi-fiend
Staff member
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Filipino
Primarily Uses
RMMZ

You are using Core Engine right?

remove this line

Code:
	//=============================================================================
	// Graphics
	Graphics._updateRealScale = function() {
	  if (this._stretchEnabled) {
	    var h = window.innerWidth / this._width;
	    var v = window.innerHeight / this._height;
	    this._realScale = Math.min(h, v);
	    if (this._realScale >= 3) this._realScale = 3;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 2) this._realScale = 2;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 1.5) this._realScale = 1.5;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 1) this._realScale = 1;
	    else this._realScale = 0.5;
	  } else {
	    this._realScale = this._scale;
	  }
	};

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try this. Press F4, then if it's still like that, Press F3 again. If it's right it should be big.

I already tried when the error appeared for first time, but nothing happens, sorry.

You are using Core Engine right?

remove this line

Code:
	// Graphics
	Graphics._updateRealScale = function() {
	  if (this._stretchEnabled) {
	    var h = window.innerWidth / this._width;
	    var v = window.innerHeight / this._height;
	    this._realScale = Math.min(h, v);
	    if (this._realScale >= 3) this._realScale = 3;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 2) this._realScale = 2;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 1.5) this._realScale = 1.5;
	    else if (this._realScale >= 1) this._realScale = 1;
	    else this._realScale = 0.5;
	  } else {
	    this._realScale = this._scale;
	  }
	};

I'll try this fix, but I'm agree with Yanfly. This resolution problems should be fixed if the editor itself give an option to change the resolution of the project, insted of using plugins for that purpose. I understand, too, that developers don't want to approve the resolution change inside the MV editor, maybe they have it's own reasons for that, but for many people using RPG Maker, this change it's necessary for the actual desktop and mobile devices.

Hackerham

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
First Language
Russian
Primarily Uses
I'll try this fix, but I'm agree with Yanfly. This resolution problems should be fixed if the editor itself give an option to change the resolution of the project, insted of using plugins for that purpose. I understand, too, that developers don't want to approve the resolution change inside the MV editor, maybe they have it's own reasons for that, but for many people using RPG Maker, this change it's necessary for the actual desktop and mobile devices.

Well, first &gt is actually ">" symbol :)  

Second, devs just cant decide what to do with it, so this place is OK for modding.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
My main suggestion? About how to fix this problem once and for all?

Can the developers PLEASE implement INHERENT options found within the EDITOR to alter the screen resolution. This is year 2016. The majority of the world isn't running 4:3 ratio screen resolutions anymore, and instead, are making games that fit wide-screen, mobile devices, etc. If RPG Maker MV is to be made to accomodate for desktop AND mobile, then why isn't there an option to do such a thing in the editor? It's only the sensible thing to do. Resolution control is an absolutely vital feature for development for games made in the year 2016 and onward.

What is NOT sensible is to rely on plugins to do these kinds of things. Plugins like mine shouldn't have to exist to add in completely basic features that ought to be available in the first place.

I never understood why it wasn't native. Every other engine I've worked in has had some sort of resolution option. However, for ease of use, RPGM is more hard-coded so I assumed that it was hard too implement (but since you had a pretty much day one plugin that did it...)

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
The Yanfly Engine Core is updated 1.20. You can grab it here. I might be making updates to it later but overall, the main issues have been taken care of.

This should serve to fix the issue that @CrimsonNightfox and @Oscar92player were having regarding scaling.

In addition to that, a few other changes have been made to serve as a means to clear staggering objects from memory. I'm not 100% sure it will solve everything, but it should solve quite a bit.

Oscar92player

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The Yanfly Engine Core is updated 1.20. You can grab it here. I might be making updates to it later but overall, the main issues have been taken care of.

This should serve to fix the issue that @CrimsonNightfox and @Oscar92player were having regarding scaling.

In addition to that, a few other changes have been made to serve as a means to clear staggering objects from memory. I'm not 100% sure it will solve everything, but it should solve quite a bit.

Thanks, Yanfly. The fullscreen mode works fine with the changes you made.

Smartboy123

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So I've been off the train for a while. Didn't notice that I had v1.0. I just downloaded and updated to 1.3.3. I made the backups and copied over the new js files as told to do so. Now, whenever I go to open the software it asks me for a Product Key. However, I bought this off Steam a long time ago and was never given a Product Key (Steam just loads it up normally. Never used a key). What can I do to fix this and get back into making my game? I love this software and want to continue working on my project.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
However, I bought this off Steam a long time ago and was never given a Product Key

You installed the standalone version in addition to the steam version, you only need a product key for the standalone version, never for the steam version.

And steam has its own, automatic update function - you should never have installed the exe from this topic.

If you still had 1.0 on steam, that means you disabled the automatic updates for steam - please go into the steam program properties of MV, and make sure that

1) the beta setting is to off

2) the automatic updates are enabled

Then you'll get automatically updated to the newest version whenever it is released, no need for any manual editor update (you only have to update your projects manually like averone else)

Rukiri

I like to make Action-RPGs
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Other
I never understood why it wasn't native. Every other engine I've worked in has had some sort of resolution option. However, for ease of use, RPGM is more hard-coded so I assumed that it was hard too implement (but since you had a pretty much day one plugin that did it...)

It should just be an option in the system tab, let the user decide the resolution. 

But MV makes it pretty easy to do with a script.

Smartboy123

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
You installed the standalone version in addition to the steam version, you only need a product key for the standalone version, never for the steam version.

And steam has its own, automatic update function - you should never have installed the exe from this topic.

Okay. So I want to be careful going forward. I did Backup Up the local files via Steam. I am thinking just wipe the local files I have then recover the Backup files? Ill save a second copy elsewhere with the data just to safe.

SimProse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Nice work with the new Yanfly Core! I don't know if its normal, but my game is now a good 10% faster than before (of course, I was still using version Core 1.15, it appears).

Yanfly

Veteran
Reaction score
Nice work with the new Yanfly Core! I don't know if its normal, but my game is now a good 10% faster than before (of course, I was still using version Core 1.15, it appears).

It was something purely experimental I wanted to try out, but I had a bit of inspiration from the changes made by Ivan to the 1.3.2 source code. I took it a step further and removed each and every addition added on to the heavier scenes: the map and the battle. All child elements added by the scene are to be cleared as the scene switches to keep the running game light-weight on memory consumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

One tried and true way to trigger a lot of people to be nasty is to tell a truth that they are uncomfortable with, like how most people will stand by while they see a crime happening, unless it's illegal to stand by. We probably wouldn't have stories about "special heroes" or games about heroes if the "everyday common folk" were largely capable of being heroes. Heroes face dangers that most people are not willing to.
I'm having toooo much fun designing the new MP (Mental Psyche) system. I've only worked it out for enemies so far, but it's fun to stun them, then go after their MP and delete them instead to farm for better item drops.
anyone know of a place I can promote my game? sorta like game awards but for indie devs, like a place where I can drop a trailer and like stir up some hype
Doing RPG Maker News for 17th October 2021

That moment when you came up with a very good game title, but when you searched it, it has already been used... T.T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smitty