LycanDiva

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A little while ago, I went into the Terms tab in my project to change a few of the in-game messages to give my game a bit more personality. When I edited the "Critical to Enemy" message, I accidentally deleted the original %1 tag. At first, I thought it was no big deal, as I could just type %1 back in and it would work just the same, right? But, nope. Now when the message shows up in my game, I get "%1 Hit Extra Hard!!" instead of having the character's name pop up as it should.

Does anyone know how to fix this glitch? I've been searching for any mention of a similar problem, but I haven't turned up anything and I'm totally stumped...

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to RPG Maker MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Tech Support is for if you have issues getting the Editor to run properly.

I just opened a couple of clean projects and what I see for the Critical to Enemy field is "An excellent hit!!" (and for Crit to Actor: "A painful blow!"). Therefore, I would guess that RPG Maker MV does not natively pass any fields (such as a battler's name) to the message log to print out in this message, or put more simply, %1 will never work for the Critical Hit messages.

Wavelength

Edge of Eternity
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
No problem. It can be hard to find the correct subforum sometimes. I edited my last post a moment ago to reflect what I found when I dug around a bit in RPG Maker, which might give you your answer.

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LycanDiva The reason that the %1 is not working is because that message in particular does not support formatting. You would have to edit the default code or have a plugin to add in that functionality. There are a few other messages that are the same way.

LycanDiva

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, that's what happened. Thank you. I was really confused for weeks, there...

Ossra

Formerly Exhydra
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@LycanDiva If you want, you can toss the following into a .js file in the plugins folder, and it should allow you to use formatting :

Code:
Window_BattleLog.prototype.displayCritical = function(target) {
    if (target.result().critical) {
        if (target.isActor()) {
            this.push('addText', TextManager.criticalToActor.format(target.name()));
        } else {
            this.push('addText', TextManager.criticalToEnemy.format(target.name()));
        }
    }
};
I have not tested the above code, but it should work.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Oh man the controls in Mario Sunshine are pretty awful and I haven't even witnessed the controls without FLUDD
Lots of cool changes for Battle Castle in the works! Not just reworked dialogue, but gameplay, combat, and possibly lore changes to make things weightier.
Actor2_2 added!

I started really going in on my project April of last year... I'm just now making starting the actual game... making assets (and not even all of them), whoooo... TIME SINK.

Imagine being a pleb and using --------------------.js :LZSwink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scop