RPG Maker MV 3D Labyrinth Tool Idea

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    To cast your vote, click here for the poll!

Hear ye, Hear ye, Fellow RPG Maker Devs,
    [​IMG]

As part of the development team, we are always looking for ways to improve and expand the ways RPG Maker can help you in the creation of your games. Currently on the idea board is to find an easier way to create your unique take on the old classic genre: First Person Dungeon Crawling; Similar to games such as Wizardry and Shin Megami Tensei. For those who’d missed the exciting experience entirely, here are a few examples:

Screenshots:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Videos:

It would mean a great deal to the team to get a rough estimate on how many would be interested in seeing this happen. This is so everyone involved can easily understand the merit of undertaking the creation of this feature.

Aye or Nay? Let us know what you think!

CoryH, Rendered_Lion, kovak and 54 others like this.
  2. erikmidnatt

erikmidnatt Mercenary Wizard possessed by an Evil Spirit Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've been waiting years! Thanks for a forum post about this since I don't use fb or twitter.

I'd pay for it ^_^. Take me monies.

3. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'm worried about the display performance.
    Given that 2D display with MV is already the slowest I've seen from a 2D engine, how will it handle 3D?

consolcwby, firststef, Orb and 2 others like this.
  4. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd like this very much. :D:thumbsup-right:

It would be a real game changer for RPGmaker games!

Sauteed_Onion likes this.
  5. Yakly

Yakly Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What always killed those types of games for me was when you couldn't see things in the distance. Like you can see forward three squares, but you can't see that there is a monster on the second square until you actually step on the second square. So I guess what would be important to me would be not just the ability to create walls, but the other graphical and eventing features of the engine.

6. Faherya

Faherya The Knight of the Sad Figure Veteran

First Language:
    Português
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Maybe creating a mini-engine especially for this would be a better option. In fact, the RPG Maker MV is a tad heavy for most computers. In my case, using this tool directly in the MV would be like setting the house on fire.

What's more, the style fits the old engines better. Maybe it's time to retake RPG Maker 2003 ...

Jhale M. and jonthefox like this.
  7. Amarok

Amarok Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    sounds awesome, as long as it has good optimization, bring it on!

Seacliff likes this.
  8. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    And to think, one thing I was going to try to do was make such a thing in the engine at *some* point in time. Too bad RL has been so busy it wouldn't happen until 2022 or so.

So, yes, yes, yes. Take my money now.

9. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I really loved the 3D Labyrinth for RPG Maker XP. But it was pretty buggy and unstable.

So I'm down for this as long as it's optimized well.

Jhale M. likes this.
  10. Oscar92player

Oscar92player Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, simply no.

This RPG Maker has a poor performance with 2D (frame drops included), and has some serious bugs with sound and graphics that are not even fixed yet (since the release almost TWO YEARS ago). Why don't you simply try to fix those bugs and then we can talk about tools like this? I'm very tired of saying this every time, so please, do something. :kaodes:

The fact is that a tool like this is interesting, but people will see that if the frame drops with 2D are not even fixed yet, how will MV manage 3D graphics? As if I saw the future: hundreds of threats from people reporting bugs and bad performance with games using this tool...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  11. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    You can think of it this way.

KADOKAWA saw that many people want it. Therefore they'll put more resources on fixing possible performance issues before implementing such an idea.

That's just my thoughts though. I'm not the main developer for MV.

J.M. Henry and Bonkers like this.
  12. Poryg

Poryg Dark Lord of the Castle of Javascreeps Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "How much would you be willing to pay for it?"
    I didn't see the final product, how should I know?

Can and kwanzaabot like this.
  13. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Then KADOKAWA will lose a purchaser (maybe more) if things continue like this, unfortunatelly... I paid a money for a complete product (not only this Maker, but 2k3, VX and Ace), and "complete" means with patches to fix bugs like those MV have, so I'm feeling cheated after almost two years since you opened the threats with a promise that music delay, lag, and poor performance (and a few other bugs) will be fixed. I wouldn't have bought this Maker if I see the product I have today and the problems we have.

And returning to the threat, yeah, I'm interested in this tool, but my vote will be NO until people can play a game (with or without this tool or another) developed with MV without performance problems.

14. Archeia

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I'm confused as to why you think there hasn't been any fixes? Since 1.5.0 was specifically updated for performance fixes. There also has been OSS Project which has been applied to MV. So you can't just say "you guys are not doing anything on keeping your word."

This also is the wrong topic to table complaints that something is not being done btw :)

Jhale M. and Zeriab like this.
  15. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @Oscar92player : Right now you are the only one reporting lag on sound and audio. I haven't had any lag since 1.1 and most others haven't since 1.3, and I haven't seen any reports but yours on it since 1.5. Maybe your sound files are at fault and not MV? Might be something to consider since you are in the minority here on that issue.

Jhale M. and The Stranger like this.
  16. The Stranger

The Stranger The Faceless Friend Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'd love to play around with this engine\tool, but have no ideas for a game in such a format. However, I do know a few people who'd love to get their hands on this - I think @Richard John S (or am I confusing him with someone else?) is making a game using this style, and might be interested in an engine\tool dedicated to it.

However, I really hope it's easier to use and understand than IG Maker. What's appealing about the base RPG Maker is how easy it is to use even on a very basic level, while being a very powerful and flexible tool in the hands of those who know how to use it.

I'd pay a fair amount for something like this, so long as it was relatively easy to understand, learn, and play around with. I mean, if enough features were built into it, I'd gladly pay upwards of £40. Even if it's only an addon\tool for MV, I still think it's worth a fairly large amount; far more than that Sakan thing.

phamtruong1992 likes this.
  17. feckyeslife

feckyeslife Sleepy Cat Mom Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Personally, I have 0 interest in this sort of "tool" for MV. It seems like it would have to be a pretty significant overhaul of the systems currently in place with its own mapping editing software. To me, it feels more like the VN maker software (whenever that will be available) where it has aspects of MV, but severely alters the core structure of how you program the game.
    It doesn't work with how I want my RPG games to be played. If people want it, awesome, but I probably won't be investing :kaohi:

(ps wasn't sure 100% how to vote on price, but in my limited knowledge like I said bc it seems like it would need its own editor software, 20 would probably be what I would reasonably expect for a nicely done Tool)

Jhale M. likes this.
  18. Oscar92player

First Language:
    Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Indeed, there are fixes for problems related with memory leak, updated versions of PIXI, yeah, translations fixes... I'm not saying you are doing nothing, but there are more bugs than the ones I mentioned and those are not fixed yet:

-Music delay is not solved, not in the editor, not in the game. I have problems with this since the release of the maker, and I have to use external plugins (like TDDP_PreloadManager or SRDude Preloader Core) to try to fix it, but considering other problems like an overloaded RAM, incompatibilities with other plugins, load times...

-Bad performance and frame drops are in this list too. Every time I open or close a menu, for items, options, status or through plugin call, the frames drop from 60 to 15-10 for a few seconds, causing screen tearing and lag until the game returns to 60FPS. And not onlye the menus, no... when transporting my player to another map too, or using a picture, opening the message box... Those things are not supposing to work like that, right? There are no fixes or plugins that can solve this, and it's a real problem when you try to do an smooth transition between maps, cutscenes, or showing a picture, and things like those didn't happen with previous Makers.

And that means...? If I'm the one saying this is because some other people maybe stopped developing their games with MV because of this problems, or because they simply stopped creating threats because the only answer is "We are working on it"/"This has been reported"/"There is an non official fix like [put a plugin here]". Maybe people stopped reporting this because are more tired than me. And saying "since you are in the minority" means that I don't have the right to vote or report those bugs until someone hear my opinion, or give me a solution (a real one)? Because I reported those bugs long ago, and I helped you reporting other bugs caused by PIXI, or whatever, not to mention the feedback with the Spanish translation project.

By the way, the music delay occurs with the default music and BGS files that comes with MV, so this is not problem of my music files, is a problem that comes with the engine. The music or sound delays 1-2 seconds before they start playing, inside the game and in the editor too.

And no, I refuse to hear that my computer is not very faster and powerful enough, I meet the requisites (not only the minimun, but the recommended ones too) to run this Maker and games developed with it.

consolcwby, pincaviglia86 and Orb like this.
  19. BadMinotaur

BadMinotaur You can do it! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd be interested in something like this. This is a really cool idea at its base and I'm sure scripters could have a field day with it once it's implemented to make it even more awesome.

EDIT: @Oscar92player - if preloaders fix your problem, it sounds like your hard drive seek times are terrible. Might be that it'll crash soon, you may want to start making backups of your important files.

20. Arisa

Arisa probably dead Veteran

First Language:
    English/Spanish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    HERE YOU CAN HAVE MY MONEY! I'M DOWN! :kaojoy: :kaojoy: :kaosalute:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.