RPG Maker MV 3D Labyrinth Tool Idea

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It's hard for me to make a vote on the second question.
    Depending on how capable this feature is, I could see myself paying anywhere from 10 to 20 dollars.
    If I can make something like this

or something like this

then it is for sure worth 20 bucks.

If it's purely for making square dungeons, we already have a free plugin for that
    here https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?threads/mbs-fple-mv.57363/

So there would need to be plenty of nifty features.
    For now I can't make a vote until I know what features this tool or what not would have.
    I don't care for a tool that would only allow for what can already be done for free.
    It would need to be pretty capable.. what ever it may be.
    Making a town with simple geometry would be nice..
    Being able to do more than just straight tunnels would be nice as well.
    Being able to have objects like book shelves tables and more would be a must as well.
    Maybe simple 3D objects like pillars... maybe room shapes that are not just square.

You really gotta be able to bring something special to the table if you want my money.

2. jaypee

jaypee hobbyist Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Let us forget the sermon about computers for awhile, I don't even find it worthy discussing about such thing because most of the MV user's here were wise enough to know the minimal computer requirements before purchasing the rpgmakermv and the program can run 3d maps decently if implemented.​

Recently I have cast my vote and there were 5 choices to choose from ranging from $0,$5,$10,$15,$20. I am willing to shed $20 for the features that would make a satisfying and great 3d labyrinth map maker add-on experience. Some wishlist I would like to materialize are 3d labyrinth tool based off from the existing 2d objects or terrain maps of rpgmakerMV if possible which I have posted earlier before. I would like to see some more ideas from other members regarding the MV 3d labyrinth tool features and I am pretty much interested to know their vote too... :yswt:

I did not know such thing exist, thank you for bringing that up.​

MikePjr likes this.
  3. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    You're welcome.
    Kinda shocked folks did not realize it was there.
    Then again, it's labeled funny.
    Rather than first person 3D, it's labeled FPLE which folks are not gonna know what that is.
    I hope what ever they're planning for this tool is powerful enough for more than simple hallways.

The Stranger likes this.
  4. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    I would be DEFINITELY extremely hyped up!!!! Also, count me in for artwork! In particular if 3D tiles for the backgrounds are a possibility somehow, I'd love to tackle them in addition to possibly drawing character art and stuffs, this makes me so excited!
    Especially considering it's being proposed as an official plugin. It's only natural that rpg maker would eventually officially cover such a genre and i can only see it as a healthy and much coveted addition to its roster of current default capabilities!

Mimironi and Tea's Jams like this.
  5. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    FPLE is supposed to stand for "First Person Labyrinth Explorer", at least. As one of the people working on the plugin now, I can say wholeheartedly I would still prefer something official. Even if it does the same things, it would almost certainly have better integration with the editor, and would be much easier to make extensions to- you'd probably get more people doing plugins, too, and is more likely to be supported by major plugin engines.

6. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I hate to derail things further, but no one is gonna know that.
    Back when the one for Ace came out, I almost past up the script cause i had no freaking clue what a FPLE was way back when i used Ace.
    I had searched before using words like 3D first person dungeon.
    I'm not surprised that folks did not know what it was or that it was there, because i'm pretty sure most of them search for things like i stated above.. 3D first person dungeon or something similar.
    And honestly despite what you've said about intergration, i would still continue to use yours because it's free, which is why my hope is that it does more than simple hallways.
    For instance, i tried making see through textures for windows with your plugin, and i can't.
    I can't even use panoramas(paralax images) for skies.. i've tried.. i was going to make an outside area with a sky, but that was pretty impossible.
    Point being, is if the tool they plan to make can't do more than what yours can already do, i don't see much point.
    And that is why i'm encouraging the folks working on this "tool" to push forward and make it something more.. my expectations are a bit high i suppose.... but i stand by my comment that i won't pay for something that can not do more than your plugin can do.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
  7. JosephSeraph

JosephSeraph White Mage Restaff

First Language:
    Portuguese
    As it is a separately developed plugin completely unrelated to FPLE, I'm certain the way the developers will tackle its creation will be different, giving them a slew of advantages and limitations when developing it in comparison to MV, which will lend itself to ultimately a very different tool. In addition, the developers for this plugin have intimate knowledge about the RPG Maker MV engine and its editor, and will invariably know how to structure it better than a third party plugin developer, with less effort and more results. I trust this plugin will be pretty baddass, and I'm fairly certain at least all the features you mentioned will be available.
    Now what'd be killer for me is 3D model support -- making 3D tiles like a patch of trees and shrubbery gives much better of an impression of depth than using a picture on a straight wall. It'd be possible to do all sorts of environments, from towns to forests to mazes to floating islands.

Another important feature for me is low resolution support, especially if the engine can't handle 3D models for characters. That is because pre-rendered 3D in high resolutions will often look out of place and pretty bad with being scaled as a picture rather than a model, especially if they're subject to flashes and bouts of transparency like, say, monsters in the default battle system are.
    Furthermore as MV is mobile-capable, a low resolution helps in making a game that's portable to all sorts of target phones both resolution and hardware-wise. I'm aware it's simple to change resolution in the settings but it fudges up menus and such, which means a tile size option for rendering the maze is a must!

8. Sarah_yt

Sarah_yt Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I voted no... I'd be much more interested in the ideas from the 'Editor Suggestions and Improvement' board being worked on. It was such a good idea to have a board like that, but I haven't really seen many of those made into a reality. The last approved feature was back in 2016?

9. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If it's free, I might fiddle around with it, but I think it'd just be too different from the stuff that RPG Maker normally provides, and wouldn't fit in. :/

10. kwanzaabot

kwanzaabot Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    MV is overpriced enough already, so no, I wouldn't pay for it.

It's a neat little idea (I'm imagining an Elder Scrolls fangame with design cues taken from Daggerfall and Battlespire), but I wouldn't pay money for it.

Oscar92player likes this.
  11. Nocturnic

Nocturnic Designer and Story Writer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Dude, I'm fricking down for this. This is definitely one thing I could use in a game I'm making, would make it more fun to play rather than having your run-of-the-mill top-down perspective all the time.

12. Fractured

Fractured Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I am very much in favor of mechanics that remind me of Shining the Holy Ark. Yes please.

LUTOPiAgameCompany likes this.
  13. KayZaman

KayZaman Brother-Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English & Malay
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First person dungeoun crawler? Aye!

14. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    YAY!!! Now this will be official and then... I wonder if we will also be able to get in and out of the labyrinth mode but, this might sure bring diversity in the game narrative if we have that option. :D

15. The Mighty Palm

The Mighty Palm Resident Palm Tree Restaff

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    This would be amazeing. A feature I can really get lost in. I haven't thought about any first person games in a while but this feature would have
    me come crawling back. I'd be floored.

Seriously, this sounds real freakin neato.

16. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Went ahead and voted.. yes i am interested... i picked 20 dollars... but honestly i stand by my comment that pricing depends on features and options.

17. LUTOPiAgameCompany

LUTOPiAgameCompany Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Spanish
  18. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Actually we have approved ones from 2017... I just haven't moved those topics yet ._.

Susan and Sarah_yt like this.
  19. Calvynne

Calvynne Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I like the idea, I would pay up to $20.00 for a feature rich product that supported a lot of additional customization. I think it's important to really examine the examples being used and build many of the features displayed into the product's base. There are a lot of features and ideas that could be accomplished with numerous existing plugins, but finding them all and properly citing them, having them all be valid for commercial use, and keeping them all individually updated as MV advances is already a chore.

20. Kanzlerino

Kanzlerino Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    omg please.
    I would pay 20. or 30 bucks for a Tool-Addon like that.
    No offense, i love the old VX Ace Plugin and the one where people are actually working on right now could be epic too.
    But something offical from you guys would be AWESOME.

Some features that would be mandatory for me to buy the 3D Labyrinth Tool addon for the RMMV:
    - Integrated fog of war
    - Skybox
    - The option to use the dungeon as battle-background
    - Stacking of walls and sloped-walls (For REALLY high walls and to simulate a Roof or a 3D Obelisk or something)
    - Minimap

Optional stuff:
    - Integration of simple 3D Geometry
    - Maaaybe the option to import lowpoly 3D Models for doodads and decoration purposes?
    - A simple light engine to ermit light. For Lamps or Torches ect.

I know. It's just daydreaming but hey, you asked for our wishes and opinions, right ?

Susan, JacobM and jaypee like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.