RPG Maker MV 3D Labyrinth Tool Idea

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Archeia, Aug 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutty171

Nutty171 Adept at ineptitude Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I fully agree with Sarah, I think the team's time could be much better spent on features in the Editor Suggestions and Improvement board.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    One thing you ALL need to remember is any editor suggestions and improvements have to also be approved by the Japanese dev team, and what they want for RPGMaker and what we want are sometimes two totally different things. We've already had some suggestions vetoed by them that it is obvious the English/US group wants, but they refuse saying it is not needed.

So, sure, maybe there is some suggestions they could be working on, but there is a lot of red tape to go through to get them done. So I'd highly suggest stopping with the suggestion that they drop this in favor of the improvements, just because it's likely that by saying that you're just going to get nothing at all.

3. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm not arguing your point. And I agree with you totally bgillisp..
    But this is sorta why I some times wish they would just make a separate RPG Maker for the Western Market than the ones they keep making for the Japanese market.
    The West market keeps wanting and expecting something VERY different from Japanese market.
    Like I said, not arguing... I agree.. I just sorta wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

It drives me nuts that folks keep voting no just cause they think it will get something to happen with the editor... cause as you said, we could end up with nothing.
    But I hope that's not the case.. and I hope there are FAR more YESes than there are NOs on the voting thing.

I'd really like to see this tool happen..
    Also, it would be nice to know more about what the team has in mind..
    We know very little.
    We know next to nothing about what the team has in mind.
    What sort of features?
    Are we talking simple software based polygons?
    What will object placement be like?
    Can it still use turn based battles?
    Would it be the awkward blinking garbage that early first person RPGs on PC had, or would it be smooth movement?
    How would the tool possibly work?

Tons of things not being talked about.. and it would possibly help folks make a vote.
    So far we have a post that says "like these games" but not much more information than that.. no offense.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    Susan and Nutty171 like this.
  4. Sacrifyx

Sacrifyx Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I'd use it. My project used a 3D dungeon script when it was still in XP. Only issue with that one was it was strictly 90 degree turns. The developer of that script had started work on a version 2.0 which would allow for 360 degree movement but I don't know if he ever finished that, but I think that would be a must-have for me to invest time in adding it back into my project.

Since I'm not experiencing any of the issues a few others here have with lag and such, I'd say if they could make it happen then make it happen. I'll use it from day 1.

5. Gemintronic

Gemintronic Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very. very new user here. I grew up with the original Might & Magic games (not to mention Persona). Would definitely use this if it's free or low cost.

That being said, if the disconnect between Japanese developers and US customers is true that's very worrisome.

6. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    It's just the culture, there's always been a disconnect all the way back to the NES era and probably further. Degica has actually been making a lot of progress on that front, the Japanese developers for RM are listening more now than they ever have.

AggroMiau likes this.
  7. Archeia

Archeia Level 99 Demi-fiend Staff Member Developer

First Language:
    Filipino
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    Thank you everyone for your feedback! I have forwarded all responses from this forum, steam and social media. As there has been no info how this tool is going to work, I cannot answer most of the questions. So all your wishes is very much noted. Feel free to discuss as long as it's relevant on the topic!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Susan likes this.
  8. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I hope it's been mostly positive, as well as many YES votes.

Susan and Richard John S like this.
  9. Traveling Bard

Traveling Bard The Bard Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Smells like Etrian Odyssey :) I'm down for a dungeon crawler mode!

Susan, Richard John S and Marquise* like this.
  10. AggroMiau

AggroMiau Villager Member

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Allthough I missed the official Voting-Period. I still will give my thumbs-up and a big YES , cause that sounds like a realy neat idea to expand the variance of the engine.

Susan likes this.
  11. Kyo Panda

Kyo Panda Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just to address a misconception about the Dungeon Crawling: it is not 3D, but rather a 2D rendering technique that looks like 3D. It's rather simple to implement and pretty fast, as if it wasn't, many games from the past couldn't exist:

The impact on the performance would be minimum and it would be a nice addition to the tool.

Bugs will always exist and the problems that most people address here wouldn't be simple to fix without hurting a lot of plugins already made. So I'd rather have a nice little feature added than waiting fixes that will probably cause more bugs and make plugins stop working in weird ways.

Voted yes, BTW. :)

12. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    @Kyo Panda
    Nice summery.

I believe early FPS like Wolfenstein and Doom also used techniques like this. I think it was a cool way to achieve 3D before they could liberally use polygons.

13. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    All the Gold box games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, Dark Queen of Krynn) did a similar effect too, and that was back when cpu's were measured on MhZ, not GhZ.

So I think a similar effect to those games could be done easily in RPGMaker, especially since an engine that could do this was buyable back in 1993 when DOS was the norm.

14. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    @bgillisp - True enough, CPU's in the MHz era were able to run that kind of game. And classic 2D games too.
    But try to run a MV game on that kind of CPU... It's slow even on GHz ones.;_;

Marquise* likes this.
  15. MikePjr

MikePjr Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    My issue is i'm hoping for more than the old "blink" new angle "blink" new angle "blink" you moved forward "blink".. kind amovement.. i hated that so much back in the day.
    I tried playing Wizrdry V i think it was, on the SNES.. the way first person dungeons worked just annoyed the crap out of me.
    I even played some old DOS games that did the same junk... i never been a fan of that.
    I'm REALLY hoping it's not like that with this tool.. I would wanna bang my head.
    I hope it's more like that 3DS Wizardry game in the video at the top of the thread in the first post.
    Smooth movement, simple polygons... that would be nice.
    It's like i said when this thing was first asked about, i don't expect Legend of Grimmrock level of graphics fidelity... just better than the old blinking dungeon effect.

16. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    @cabfe Sometimes proof that specs restrictions can make better games because peoples are forced into ingenuity and forced to try to think outside of the box and pay more time to their story and art!

Titris Thrawns and cabfe like this.
  17. cabfe

cabfe Cool Cat Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Exactly. I remember the old game developpers Origin (before it was bought by EA) who made great games but required powerful PCs at the time. So they chose to change their own development PCs with older models to force them to optimize their code so it can run on less powerful machines.
    A simple idea, yet clever.

On the artistic side, an episode of the new Battlestar Galactica series is another proof. They didn't have the budget to show and animate Cylons for a scene, so they used a crude physical model and made it move behind a frosted glass. The effect was better than they thought, because you actually didn't get to see the Cylon and the imagination of the viewer filled the blank with better impact.

Sorry for the off topic. :blush: I just thought it was interesting trivia.

Marquise* likes this.
  18. Marquise*

Marquise* Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French-Canadian
    It might inspire for the MV Labyrinth too tho! I mean I saw a RPGMaker Vx Ace game on Steam use fps count over the top right screen o_O I thought some parts were all rushed out even if it was an interesting game. FPS didn't interested me. On the other hand in the old days I think the first Nintendo I knew was doing a game named Top Secret. It was side scroller until the secret agent was ambushed in what felt a first person shooter in a labyrinth. It really added to the dramatic and it was way ahead of Hired Guns and Doom later on! LOL

19. cuzisaidso

cuzisaidso Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    I'm quite sure a number of people would love this, but I would prefer if there were better tools for developing for mobile devices. Right now there's a serious caching issue when trying to put games on android devices. Games seem to have to be rather small in order for RPG Maker MV games to run

20. Bricabrac

Bricabrac The Storyteller Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    If we're talking about having "pseudo-3D" effects in rpgmaker, I would much prefer having a slanted perspective over a 3D labyrinth... I mean something like this:
    [​IMG]
    as far as I know, only rpgmaker XP had mode-7 scripts capable of reproducing the same effect.

annatar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.