LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi there, I'm looking for an RPG Maker MV plugin that can change the background to an animated GIF.

I am aware of Galvs old animated plugin that allows you to use sequenced PNG images, but it doesn't work at all for me when it comes to using very very large GIF animations that have over 120 frames sequenced into one row that's over 36,000 pixels long, it's honestly just not even okay that I have to do that, and the plugin just seems to break for an image that large.

There is another piece of code that was written in a forum post years ago, but it doesn't work either:
JavaScript:
Graphics._createRenderer = function() {
    PIXI.dontSayHello = true;
    var width = this._width;
    var height = this._height;
    var options = {
       view: this._canvas,
       transparent: true
   };
    try {
        switch (this._rendererType) {
        case 'canvas':
            this._renderer = new PIXI.CanvasRenderer(width, height, options);
            break;
        case 'webgl':
            this._renderer = new PIXI.WebGLRenderer(width, height, options);
            break;
        default:
            this._renderer = PIXI.autoDetectRenderer(width, height, options);
            break;
        }
    } catch (e) {
        this._renderer = null;
    }
};
Spriteset_Base.prototype.createBaseSprite = function() {
    this._baseSprite = new Sprite();
    this._baseSprite.setFrame(0, 0, this.width, this.height);
    this._blackScreen = new ScreenSprite();
    this._blackScreen.opacity = 100;
    this.addChild(this._baseSprite);
    this._baseSprite.addChild(this._blackScreen);
};
ImageManager.gifBackground = function(gif){
   return 'url("' + gif + '") no-repeat scroll #000 top center/cover';
}
Spriteset_Battle.prototype.createBattleback = function() {
    document.getElementById('GameCanvas').style.background = ImageManager.gifBackground("img/battlebacks2/GIFT.gif");
};
Spriteset_Battle.prototype.locateBattleback = function() {

};
Scene_Title.prototype.createBackground = function() {
    document.getElementById('GameCanvas').style.background = ImageManager.gifBackground("img/titles1/GIFT.gif");
};
Scene_Title.prototype.centerSprite = function() {
};

I think enough is enough, as for over 5 years now people have been wanting an RPG Maker MV plugin that allows you to have animated gif backgrounds similar to earthbound/mother series, and for five years someone still hasn't done it! I think it'd be so so nice if someone in the community could go about doing something like this.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Galv HAS done it though to make it animated (require images over gif) but it works nice.
so someone HAS done it in those 5 years :D it can be found [here].

but gif also makes the size bigger depending on the size of the screen used.

LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Galv HAS done it though to make it animated (require images over gif) but it works nice.
so someone HAS done it in those 5 years :D it can be found [here].

but gif also makes the size bigger depending on the size of the screen used.

I already mentioned this in the post, this does not use GIF images, it uses sequenced PNG images in a line like a spritesheet. If I turn my GIF into 120+ frames in a row, the image grows to be over 36,000 pixels in size and the plugin just doesn't even work at that point and leaves it at a black background.

The work it took to do that was also a lot, my gif animations are 2-4 seconds and as such this won't work.

However, if you have found a way to use that plugin with .GIF images, do share.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont, but while gif renders colors differently, you lose gradien overlay so to speak.

However, if you are able to choose between .gif OR .apng , it can be nice too, while apng gives
better result than gif, but I think if your plugin play nie with other plugin, it would be a really nice
one that can be used in many ways.

also if it can be used as parallax on map, if not in battle only or both ways, if both, make a tiny demo
to demostrate it :) I would love to see the effect of it =)

LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I dont, but while gif renders colors differently, you lose gradien overlay so to speak.

However, if you are able to choose between .gif OR .apng , it can be nice too, while apng gives
better result than gif, but I think if your plugin play nie with other plugin, it would be a really nice
one that can be used in many ways.

also if it can be used as parallax on map, if not in battle only or both ways, if both, make a tiny demo
to demostrate it :) I would love to see the effect of it =)

The way Galv's plugin works is it uses a .png file with multiple frames spread from left to right, and the plugin simply breaks if it goes too big. And getting a massive gif animation file to split into side by side png is a lot of work.

Are you mentioning .gif and .apng because they're supported here? I never tried but that's simply because his example uses .png files sequenced and has no information on using .gif and .apng, did I miss this?

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gif is possible to use though if done correctly, there is a post how to change the blackbars inside the game.
thich can help you push to the right direction how to use gif, im not sure apng will work though.

let me find the thread for you.

you can use gif and png as loading immage found [here].
I know you dont want a loading image, there was also something for black bars, but static image
and changing the index for it, this loading part I dont know, but it might push you to the right direction.

if not, maybe move it to "Learning Javascript" where you have more change to get solutions :)

Last edited:

LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
gif is possible to use though if done correctly, there is a post how to change the blackbars inside the game.
thich can help you push to the right direction how to use gif, im not sure apng will work though.

let me find the thread for you.

you can use gif and png as loading immage found [here].
I know you dont want a loading image, there was also something for black bars, but static image
and changing the index for it, this loading part I dont know, but it might push you to the right direction.

if not, maybe move it to "Learning Javascript" where you have more change to get solutions :)

I see, well, I'm aware of a bit of programming but I definitely am not skilled enough for anything like this, and for making a small little for-fun project for friends, I definitely don't think learning how to replace the battlebacks of battles with .GIF animations (or equivalent) is something I can do.

I would be super appreciative if someone else were to make something like this. The code in my original post is of someone elses attempt, it just doesn't work because for some reason it changes the transparent background in the actual map and title screen, yet in battle it just leaves the background black. It plays GIFs perfectly in the main menu though, so if someone modified that code a bit surely something good might come out of it.

Really hope someone does this though, as it'd help thousands with their project, it's honestly something I'm surprised more people haven't requested then who already did.

Edit: Thanks for trying to help so far, by the way.

ShadowDragon

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to use gif or apng is also something you need more code to it, to check if the actor is in battle
and the scene of battle, but I didn't deal with battle stuff and probably wont too, because
changing battlegrounds is one thing, making it animated a different, but the one Galv built
with images to read can also be a base how to use it in battle.

if they can modify it heavely with using gif instead of 3-6 pngs, in the way you would like too,
it needs more code, but it wont be easy (at least not for starters) but I dont see many games with
animated battle grounds as well.

So I hope someone is able to help you out =)

LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
to use gif or apng is also something you need more code to it, to check if the actor is in battle
and the scene of battle, but I didn't deal with battle stuff and probably wont too, because
changing battlegrounds is one thing, making it animated a different, but the one Galv built
with images to read can also be a base how to use it in battle.

if they can modify it heavely with using gif instead of 3-6 pngs, in the way you would like too,
it needs more code, but it wont be easy (at least not for starters) but I dont see many games with
animated battle grounds as well.

So I hope someone is able to help you out =)

Yeah, I hope so too, thanks for trying to help. I hope someone can help with this, it's a plugin I'm sure many would want..

LetsPlayAGame

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe this could help someone? https://www.gjtorikian.com/Earthbound-Battle-Backgrounds-JS/

It is made purely in JS, maybe it could be of aid? I'm not sure much on the programming side of things of how difficult this would actually be.. although people could take a look at Galv's plugin and see about reworking it to well, actually work with .GIFs or the other JS code mentioned above.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I made the logo and title screen for my game (Still rough but at least it's got a design now)
Eyy1s2gXIAMzfFN
Eyy1s2hXMAEmiRA
BCj
Whelp, it's been a while. Had another retina surgery on april 1st on my left eye. Well, 4 time's the charm, right? *recovery mode on*
The next JABS update will include ally AI and an aggro system.

Question:
What would YOU expect to happen if you had four+ party members in an ABS, all fighting either together or separately or a mix of the two, and the player hits "swap leader" button?
It currently pulls all followers to the player's location, removes all aggro towards enemies, and swaps them.
Time to wear a new face again...

Should keep things interesting huh? @EpicFILE :p
unknown.png

Been feeling that my characters spent too much time exploring caves, so I figured it was time to explore abandoned keeps instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrXGB