RPG Maker MV Approach Issues?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by CrystallizeDev, Jul 20, 2018.

1. CrystallizeDev

CrystallizeDev Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi, I'm still trying to figure out RPG Maker MV commands and I'm having some trouble with having an event follow me after a cutscene. Basically, the girl gets out of her hospital bed, walks up to the IV, a sound is played indicating she attached it to herself, and then it's supposed to follow her around, but it doesn't. It's two tiles tall, too, but I figured that if I had a switch on that activated the move command, both would move at the same time.
    Here are my event pages:
    upload_2018-7-19_13-47-41.png
    upload_2018-7-19_13-48-30.png upload_2018-7-19_13-49-1.png

2. kaine

kaine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    that move event is set to player and not to the "girl" event
    Edit:
    o_O My bad
    Is the girl the protagonist?
    In this case you need 3 move event (in case the protagonist moves independently)
    The first contains instructions for the protagonist
    The second contains instructions for the 0005 event
    the third contains instructions for the 0006 event

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  3. Jules98

Jules98 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    First of all, I would recommend combining the two sprites into one, so you only have one sprite to worry about.

Second, I don't think that autonomous movement is suitable for this, due to it's erratic and random nature. The IV would move all over the place even if the player were to stand still.

4. CrystallizeDev

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Okay, first off: how do I combine the sprite? I just took the two sprites off my B tileset. Should I instead make a whole other sprite sheet?

Secondly: Should I use the Custom command for following the player with a repeat?

5. caethyril

caethyril ^_^ Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Incoming wall of text! :kaoback:

First: change the trigger on the IV event(s). Autorun will cause the event to repeat its contents (nothing, in this case) indefinitely and suspend player movement while active. In this particular case I'd recommend Player Touch, you'll see why later. =)
    Are you familiar with graphics editing? I'd suggest making a new double-height single-character spritesheet (384 x 144 px). You can copy+paste the upper and lower tiles into that sheet. Save it as !$filename.png, where:
    • ! indicates the sheet should be treated as an "object character" (no 6 px y-offset, no bush effect);
    • $ indicates the sheet comprises a single character with four facing directions (rows) and three animation frames (columns);
    • filename can be replaced with whatever you want, but since MV uses network standards for file access I'd recommend avoiding special characters (e.g. accents & punctuation) and replacing spaces with -hyphens-.
    If you don't need it animated, you can leave the other 11 frames blank and just make sure your in-game has Direction Fix on, and Stepping & Walking off (checkboxes found in bottom-left of event-editing window). You can omit the ! as well if you prefer it that way, it's mostly a matter of taste.
    I'd recommend that, yes. Try putting a single Move Toward Player command in a custom route. Make sure the Repeat and Skip options for the route are both checked. You've got the correct move speed and frequency, unless the player is allowed to dash (Shift by default)...if you haven't already, you can disable dashing with a map setting: right-click the map (in the list under the tile palette) and choose Edit, then check the option marked Disable Dashing. :kaopride:

There is one problem, though: the IV event will block your movement! The Same as Characters priority is important for the move route to function correctly, but we don't want it to get in the way of the player. One solution is to give the event a Player Touch trigger and the following commands:
    Code:
    ◆Set Movement Route:Player
    :                  :◇Through ON
    :                  :◇1 Step Forward
    :                  :◇Through OFF
    ◆Set Movement Route:This Event (Wait)
    :                  :◇Move toward Player
    So, now when the player walks into it, they'll switch places with one another! ^_^

6. CrystallizeDev

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you so much!

caethyril likes this.