Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
CHARACTER CREATION EVENT

Ever wanted to start a game and let the player choose a character? Hair colour? Starting location? Maybe even assign their own unique character profiles by how they act throughout the game?

This tutorial will explain all of the above!

This was quite fun to event. I've attached the download link to the project folder which is unencrypted for you to view how everything was done, and to learn of course!

Shoutout to user SoulEaterXD who requested this tutorial. I hope it helps. (It will help if you have basic knowledge of: Conditional Branching. If not, I'm sure you can learn a few bits here).

DOWNLOAD / 165MB

https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0B_qcNxnoCpuPbUozYzMxUHRPLVU&export=download

Last edited:

Raths Rants

Lord Procrastinator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
So i learned something similar to this watching Redweaver's Tuts for VX/Ace. The issue I ran into is for each and every quest you basically have to a conditional branch for every actor that might be used during a quest interaction. This got me thinking. Can you build a common event that would handle this type of system, or would you need to go long hand for each and every instance that requires an actor check?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cassta

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Love the tutorial. Apparently backspace doesn't work on the mac in game...so i can't change the name... 

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thanks for the comments!

Raths Rants: Hmm interesting, I've never thought of it like that before. I'll have a play and if I come up with anything you'll be the first to know =]

Thanks Cassta! Wow really?! Ha, what a strange bug! I'm not on a mac so I can't look into this for you, but perhaps it might be worth mentioning this in the support forum? Or do a search to see if anyone else has the same problems!

Cheers!

Seleroan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
So i learned something similar to this watching Redweaver's Tuts for VX/Ace. The issue I ran into is for each and every quest you basically have to a conditional branch for every actor that might be used during a quest interaction. This got me thinking. Can you build a common event that would handle this type of system, or would you need to go long hand for each and every instance that requires an actor check?
I have part of a solution to this figured out, but I'm missing something.

You can replace the standard text box call with a script by using the following commands:

$gameMessage.setFaceImage('filename',0) <-- where filename is a string indicating the .png file you're pulling your face from, and the number ranges from 0-7 to indicate which picture you're pulling.

$gameMessage.add("This is a test")

Now technically, you can replace the filename with a variable that contains a string which would be the name of the file you're calling.

So, all you would need to do is to manipulate the variable for the face file your player selected.  

What I haven't figured out yet is how to set a variable with a string, and then how to actually call the variable.

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Cool! Thanks for that, Seleroan!

I have some time to kill this weekend so I might have a try with some more on this subject. You'll be the first to know if I come across any breakthrough's :p

Vestille

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial! I can't wait to try this out!

Syndicate

Pandora Network
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
No problem! Thanks for your kind comment :) Please let me know how you get on and if there's anything else you'd like to see included ^_^

Thanks!

omega1227

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This is a great tutorial, but it poses a problem.

Once the player has chosen their avatar, how do you represent this in the game? As in, how do you display the proper face when the character is speaking?

Lorinan

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Love the tutorial. Apparently backspace doesn't work on the mac in game...so i can't change the name... 

Technically Backspace doesn't exist on an OS X keyboard setup.  IF you have the wireless or magic keyboard, you only have Delete (which technically functions as backspace but still doesn't reference that way).  If you have an extended keyboard though, the Forward Delete (i.e. delete for a windows user) should still work in the backspace manner.  (Should be ing the operative term as I don't have an extended keyboard myself that I can try to test it).

gnashoe

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses

Once the player has chosen their avatar, how do you represent this in the game? As in, how do you display the proper face when the character is speaking?

Wonderful tutorial, but I would really like to know this as well.

izanagi013

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I new to rpg maker one not talk about this here we go how put in right forum in i try to Formula on steam. Two well this is a reason i text this can i just make a boy or a girl I new so i making a part of a story when i play " h " game hey it was reacher on rpg maker that all

Okiri

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses

YEP Message Core plugin lets you put an actor face in the message screen with a written command.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

My ex put my heart upon a self he said don't give me no lines and keep my hands to myself :,(
An Old... old Harold | RPG Maker News #71

Did a test on myself and I was negative on COVID. I was sitting near my aunt the whole time while doing stuff.
RPG Maker Games Critique with Studio Blue starts now! Join us and follow along live as we explore A Thief's Voyage by walldeaf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MH-Pride