RPG Maker MV Crash - Linux Manjaro (QT5 Outdated)

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by LTN Games, Dec 7, 2017.

1. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've recently switched to Manjaro Linux running KDE Plasma 5 and ran into some problems with the Steam Linux version 1.6.0.

The Problem Summary
    Basically, RPG Maker is using its own libQt5Core.so.5 library while Plasma 5 is using a newer version. When I go to open a new project, the open dialog causes a crash because MV is opening my system file dialog which uses the latest version and you can't mix qt versions without problems.

The Logging Process

So as a fresh installation of both steam and RPG Maker MV everything seems to work fin, the MV editor opens up fine, but the open project is what causes the crash, I attached the full terminal log in a txt document.

The core of the errors are shown here

Editor Starting:
    Upon opening the "Open Project" dialog:
    Then upon crash, I get this message:
    And the (core dumped) log which is what is logged to Linux after it crashes is shown here.
    I tried creating a symlink to override the Mv version of libQt5Core to use my system's version but this caused more issues. I logged via terminal after the symlink

I have also attempted to change the RPG Maker MV.sh script to point the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable to my /usr/libs/ directory

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/libs/

The Solution Process'

Current Workaround:
    Use different Desktop Enviroment xfce4 runs MV well.

It would seem someone had this same problem and tried to make the developers aware of it but has gone unnoticed.

Same issue: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...ux-open-folder-doesnt-work.76302/#post-716482

I started a topic over at the Manjaro forums to see if we can come up with a workaround as well as figure out the core of the problem.

Manjaro Forums Thread: https://forum.manjaro.org/t/rpg-maker-mv-dialog-window-crash-libqt5core-so-5/36011/3

Personally, I would love to work with the developers and community to get this updated in the next main MV Editor update and figure out a workaround in the meantime, other than a different desktop environment.

I would love to hear your take on it, maybe you have a solution in the works, maybe you plan on updating the QT libraries included with MV, either way, I would love to hear from you and get this figured out.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    Joy Diamond and elpeleq42 like this.
  2. elpeleq42

elpeleq42 Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese(BR)
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Does it happen with 1.6 Beta too? They changed a few things there.

3. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes it does, I should have mentioned that. I been using 1.6 since they opened it to the public.

4. Liquidize

Liquidize Caffeine Overload

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What is the system version of Qt5?

Joy Diamond and LTN Games like this.
  5. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I'm pretty sure the system version is 5.9.3 I'm not 100% sure but I'll check the moment I'm back at my computer.
    Edit: Yup, it's 5.9.3, here is some more information as well, just in case.
    Screenshot_20171206_223500.png

Joy Diamond likes this.
  6. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    There are no plans to upgrade to that Qt version currently. So unfortunately there isn't much I can do.

7. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't know much about developing apps with Qt but I would assume there is a workaround while still using MV's current version of 5.9.2. I don't think the issue here is me using 5.9.3 rather that MV is not including a Qt library necessary for the file dialog and is reverting to my system version of it. This to me is considered a bug as RPG Maker MV should be fully reliant on it's own library files, not the systems, although I can only assume this as I'm no Qt developer. Maybe you know why MV does not come packed with all required libraries and is using the systems?

What I'm going to try later today is see if I can include the library files for 5.9.2 in my system and force the use of that version for RPG Maker MV while still maintaining 5.9.3 for the rest of my system. I'm no Linux pro either but I'll give it a try and report back.

elpeleq42 likes this.
  8. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MV does include everything it needs, though I don't run MV on Linux myself so perhaps not for the SteamOS build. Could you give me a listing of the files in your MV install?

9. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thanks for the quick replies, I'm using the SteamOS version 1.6(Beta). If MV is using all libraries then I'm not too sure why it's trying to use the system libraries.My guess is it's required to use the system library when deciding to choose a file because every other window works except for the File Chooser/Dialog. I'll continue to look into this issue to see if I can figure out more but there is only so much I can do with an already compiled program.
    mv16SteamFolder.png

10. Liquidize

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Strange it looks like everything is fine, I'll have to setup a VM with your setup to see if I can come up with something. No promises though, I'm fairly busy lately.

LTN Games likes this.
  11. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you for trying, I know all too well what it's like being busy. Anyways, my research has not gotten me far, I learned more about Qt but not much about how to fix the problem. According to what I've been reading, Qt application are meant to use their own library files especially when explicitly setting the path through the .sh script, and looking through the directory everything seems fine. I checked and made sure all library files associated with RPG Maker MV were in the folder by using the command ldd 'RPG Maker MV' and seeing which ones we're required, they are all there. Anyways, hopefully, if you get time, you have better luck as you should be able to view better debug messages in a developer environment.

12. LTN Games

LTN Games Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Quick update, it would seem the latest update for QT, Version 5.10 has fixed this issue. Manjaro recently had a new update for the KDE enviroment and many of the KDE Apps were updated as well. It's posisble the application update is what fixed the issue, or the latest QT has fixed it, not sure.

The icons for the file dialog are still missing, during my search I noticed RPG Maker MV was using my system /usr/lib/ibQtSVG.so.5 and RPG Maker's install directory did not include it, I thought this was where the issue was but with the latest update fixing things it makes me wonder if it was a bug in QT 5.9 causing mixing of versions. Who knows, but it works now.

Latest Manjaro update:
    https://forum.manjaro.org/t/stable-...pps-cinnamon-deepin-xorg-libreoffice/36898/20

Ensure you update and sync pacman database before upgrading latest packages.
    sudo pacman -Syyu

Screenshot_20171224_125244.png

elpeleq42 likes this.