Not open for further replies.

Jamtec01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hello everyone,

I've worked hard to create a parallax image that measures 10848 x 9024 pixels or 188 x 226 tiles. I want to use this as my world map however the game crashes when I select the image. I enjoy large world maps like they have in FF4,FF6 and FF7. Hopefully this program can support something like this otherwise I will be super bummed and have to scramble for a plan B. Here is a screen shot of the problem. Thanks for your help everyone.
RPG Maker Crash Photo.JPG

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Odds are high the image file is too large. You might be able to get around it by saving a slightly lower quality version of the image.

Though...you do know that your world map is way bigger than those games you mentioned? Someone looked up ff6's world map a while ago, and it was closer to 127 x 127 (I don't remember exact numbers, but it was close to these). ff4 and ff7 are around the same size. So in terms of area, you have a map that is about 2.6x as large as ff6's map was.

Eilwyn

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've had similar problems.

Unfortunately from what I've been able to tell, the larger the image, the higher more chances of having MV crash on you.

I have a parallax image that was 9984x5760 that causes my MV to crash about 50% of the time... but when I used my image that was significantly bigger, it crashed 100% of the time.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I found this website that will let you see how much memory an image takes. It says your image is ~280 MB of memory just to load it, assuming 24 bit color (it will be more if more bits on the color). http://www.scantips.com/basics1d.html

And as to the error itself, I did some googling, and it looks like you are hitting the limit for how large a file can be in a browser. MV and JavaScript runs by simulating a browser, and browsers have upper limits on file sizes. For instance, users have reported some errors with chrome at files near 2 ^ 28 bytes in size, which is less bytes than your image is at 24 bit color. No idea about firefox (edit: Couldn't find a current reported limit that was not more than 5 years old) or ie (edit: Reported limit is 288 MB, as of 2013, so kind of dated information there), but MV simulates the browser to run the game locally, so you are probably bumping into that. Afraid there is no fix to that until browsers up their file size limits. But, I doubt they will either because that large of an image would make internet browsing go to a huge crawl, so they have no incentive to up the limit.

Edit: I read up some more, and it does appear that that file size is larger than any current day browser can parse at once. Not load, just parse*. You have to break it up into smaller files for it to handle it, which is how we can download 29GB games.

*Parsing takes WAY more memory than the initial file size. Someone tested on a 44 MB file and the parsing took over 500 MB of memory.

Here's the link to the technical info about JavaScript and possible size limits on files that I found, if someone with more experience than me in this wishes to further the research: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/20706418/are-there-file-size-limitations-when-using-javascript-filereader-api

Last edited:

Jamtec01

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bummer, well thanks guys for your help. This information answers my question and also means I have to go a different path. Can't believe I wasted so much time on a large map, LOL. Welp catch you guys later.

Whip

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I encountered the same issue. I tried to set a 10,800x10800px Parallax map for a 225x225 tile map and it crashes the editor. I'm not sure that I fully understand the comments made above regarding the image size as I'm not sure if it is referring to file size or frame size as it loads very easily in any browser I tried and by default I use my web browser to view images anyway. It must be relating to dimensions alone because my file size as a .png is only 513kb compared to the other Parallax backs that come with RMMV that range from 281kb (SeaofClouds) to 1,672kb (DarkSpace1).

I'm able to create a 225x225 overworld room without issue and in this case I was only wanting to use the Parallax back as a template from which to re-create my old map within RMMV.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
[necro]Whip[/necro]
It's also hi-jacking.

I suggest you start a new thread, with the specifics of your particular problem.

[mod]Closing[/mod]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I based this on the armor of Actor 1_7 of the RTP. Hair is from Derex and Sythian Bard.
Stream will be live shortly! Going to do another art stream tonight so that I can finish my Fauna Focus piece~ Feel free to drop by!
Humans are fallible creatures, we all know that. It's when we're forced to look at ourselves that we start to disagree. :p
Expectation: Working on boss battle.
Reality: "Look at how awful are these code and database organization. Let me clean this mess", *yet, casually adding more modules that I have no idea if I would use it later*
Trying to learn to read Japanese so I read my manga. I like to buy them without all the edits made during translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jubacard