RPG Maker MV Extended Generator - Version Alpha 0.10 - Update on the 7th September 2019

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Schlangan, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You can always - with the advanced mode - add new masks later. The generator will still ask for some mask file when you create the resource, but if you want you may put a blank file instead, and change later that file. You won't have to delete and add the other picture again, you can simply change the mask picture with the new one.

P.S. : I indeed forgot to update the website as I give the direct link here, thanks ^^

MMMm and Marquise* like this.
  2. JayIsrael

JayIsrael Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Is this available for the Mac yet?

MMMm likes this.
  3. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @JayIsrael : I don't own a Mac, so this isn't possible for now. Ask Mac to be able to read Windows executable files for now :p

MMMm likes this.
  4. TheKeeper

TheKeeper Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Heyla! Is there a way to get the generator to accept sprite sheets that aren't 144 x 192, or are those the only dimensions it accepts? I wanted to add my own base sprites to the generator, then make parts for them that can be used in the generator, but my spritesheets are of a different dimension.

MMMm likes this.
  5. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @TheKeeper The extended generator is for practically any dimension you want. You can use the designer to define the dimensions of the sprite sheets as you add it. Then just import your base, face parts, clothing, side battler view, walking view, etc. And go from there. My Dragon generator parts is a good demonstration of this. See my Resources page for the download of that...

MMMm and Schlangan like this.
  6. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I wasn't able to find anything that let me do that. I looked at the official tutorials, and I did find that, by going to the advanced mode, I could access the resource management wizard, but when I try to follow the instructions from the official tutorials, I don't get the same results. Everything is blank, and I can't put my resources in. I'm pretty sure I'm not understanding something and doing something wrong. I don't suppose you or someone could walk me through adding in my own spritesheets of a different dimension?

MMMm likes this.
  7. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Follow the tutorial under Adding New Templates, and it should work. You have to define the dimensions in pixels, X and Y (width then height) and at the bottom of that panel identify the #elements across and down (for example, FACE elements are 4 across and 2 down). The wizard i think will then try to find a position for your panel. If you have added a NEW template, and left all the default templates in there (not deleted them) then your new template may be added at the bottom, and you can't see your parts without scrolling down.

It will also require you to identify whether the color for your template part is based on a color ID (for face parts, say) or based on a color mask (Same dimensions as your template but colored based on the specific colors assigned to a mask.)

In the wizard it will require you to select parts to associate with your template (wings, hats, clothing, tail, etc) before you finish. Then you have to load those parts that are of your dimensions into the system. (These graphics must be of exactly the same dimensions as you specified in your template wizard.)

For every part you add to the generator, you need to add an icon file or your selections will simply be a red circle-no icon image.

Hope this helps.

MMMm likes this.
  8. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA

So I followed the steps as you posted, and I ended up getting an error at the end. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Here are my screenshots:

https://gyazo.com/cf9ea70b5614c17f2d1b9fad23629b7c
    https://gyazo.com/a7cb22d7f52b54e0129ad03f89551fb2
    https://gyazo.com/1e3e6910f896aff137055fdc2eb7cd49
    https://gyazo.com/defa58efaf077e8573ef2d9990df04dc
    https://gyazo.com/67eb6c59ea0bf5deff00c34a742dda15
    https://gyazo.com/1fdd90222eee4da6440825839cebff1f

Every time I try to do something in Advanced Mode, I get that error, now. I'm using version 0.09. What's weird is that when I check for updates, it tells me that 0.08a is a new update. Am I using the wrong version?

Also, here are the sprites I'm trying to add as a base body to add parts to:

https://www.deviantart.com/thekeeper81/art/TheKeeper-s-Dark-Skin-Female-Base-Sprite-805942556

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    MMMm likes this.
  9. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Suggestion: Take the apostrophe out of your template name. No spaces, no special characters. Just use TheKeepersTemplate
    Try that and see if it fixes it

MMMm likes this.
  10. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Well, I did two things that were different: 1) I took away the apostrophe, like you said. That still wasn't enough to counter the error. Then I actually put in a different key. I named it KeepersKey1. And then things seemed great! And then I tried to close the wizard, completely, and I got the error, again.

https://gyazo.com/174004387379fd0c63a8f8246b1a3b58

It looks like it's having issues with finding a particular file called graients.png? Is it not creating a file it needs? Am I supposed to add a file?

MMMm likes this.
  11. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    AH! AHA! I have an ANSWER for you now.
    Look in the folder where the original RMMV Character generator is stored. Inside this folder, there is a file called Gradients.PNG. You need to copy this file to the resources folder where you installed the Schlangan extended maker. Look at the error message you got closely, it tells you exactly what folder to place it in.

MMMm likes this.
  12. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
  13. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    You probably have a type with no contents. That is, like Wings with no available wings. It won't let you navigate to a body type without at least one of that body type to display.

14. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yeah, I figured out it was related to the Categories in "Manage Categories." That error stopped, when I put in the categories of Male and Female. But for some reason, I can't make parts for it.

Also, now that I have my template, what do I do with it? How do I use it to bring in my sprite sheet?

=====
    EDIT
    =====

So, just because things were strange, I decided to delete the software and redownload it. Before, I would import the MV resources via the Resource Manager in the RPG Maker MV Meny Mode.

https://gyazo.com/58e5b6f940431682c8529c843f19a59e

This time, I went to advanced menu:

https://gyazo.com/7fe9692db97fca4ac69e6540a0835e4d

Then I went to File, and clicked on "Managing Assets Wizard."

https://gyazo.com/0228fbb719dc185e36f37a5f3d220fb1

From there, I selected the first option, which is to import all of the assets from MV:

https://gyazo.com/8dcefcbf853ec29a177af7606ddd26f0

Doing this way did the trick. Not only was I no longer receiving errors, all of the areas that were strangely blank and missing parts were no longer blank and missing parts. Everything seems to be working just fine. Moreover, because things were finally working as intended, I was able to figure out how to properly make my template, as well as how to use it (the ability to manually add new resources was available, this time, and I used that to be able to apply my sprite sheet to the template. Now, to test how well it works when I start adding in parts. ^_^

15. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    MMMm likes this.
  16. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Yes! Now that I imported things properly and managed to get things working as they're supposed to, the option opened up for me to add resources in manually. That seemed to work!

=====
    EDIT
    =====

I did a test to see the hair I made would layer properly on the body, and it did! Seems like things are working as they should!

https://gyazo.com/5a7b69198eb7b410ba54760f67e7d23e

So that seems to be that. Thanks for all the help! I really appreciate all the time you spent walking me through this and helping me troubleshoot what was going wrong! ^_^

MMMm likes this.
  17. MMMm

MMMm Veteran Veteran

Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    And now anyone else who is having problems will see this and have their solution.

18. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    That's definitely the hope! I'd like for people to be able to find solutions to their software issues. ^^

MMMm likes this.
  19. TheKeeper

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    So, I was able to import the MV resources because I have the trial version of MV, which will end in a few days. I figure, at some point, likely Christmas, I intend to get MV when it goes on sale on Steam (didn't have the money for the summer sail, sadly). I'm wondering, as long as I use it for my own original sprites parts, is it okay to continue using Extended Generator even after the trial period ends? I don't intend to use any material that originally came from MV or material that specifically says I need to own MV in order to use them. I only intend to use it with the original artwork I create, myself, which I'll be using in Vx Ace. Or do I need to find another character generator?

MMMm likes this.
  20. Lynvia

Lynvia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The Extended Generator is generic, and unless Schlangan corrects me, free to use. Your base figures aren't available in MV, and as long as you don't import the MV parts you should be good.

If you DO import the MV parts, (from your trial version) I doubt Degica will care as long as you don't release a game using that art, or make any of their art available anywhere. When you have purchased MV you should be fine with using their parts in your game, freely distributable, as long as you flag the deployment to encrypt the graphics.

But, I don't work for Degica, can't speak for them, or Schlangan. If you make your own original graphics, like the ones on your Deviant Art site, available for use by other game designers, remember to include your own Terms Of Service (TOS) wherever you make them available, and make sure Degica art isn't in the RXGE, or require ownership of MV in your TOS.

Your mileage may vary, some restrictions may apply, not valid in the State of Confusion.

MMMm likes this.