RPG Maker MV Extended Generator - Version Alpha 0.10 - Update on the 7th September 2019

Discussion in 'Useful Development Tools' started by Schlangan, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Niten Ichi Ryu

Niten Ichi Ryu Grey Lords Emissary Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @XGuarden

not sure if your question was actually answered or if you still need explanation on the generator, as it seems you quoted me on something but replied in the quote :)

2. XGuarden

XGuarden Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    French
    yes, I want to know if your programme can be updated for generate bust. Optionnaly if it's open source I can do it too.

3. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The software can already deal with busts. You only need two things to do so :

- Add a template for pictures of the size of the busts.

- Have pictures for the bust, because the generator does not provide any resources by itself.

But with it, you can have as many templates as you need. If you had animated busts it would be feasible too. Check the first post of this topic, you have a tutorial on how to add templates. The link provided by @Niten Ichi Ryu explains how to set up the generator for PV resources. 

4. MJS4745

MJS4745 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I like this generator compared to the one provided with RPG Maker MV, especially the fact that you can choose a body type. This function alone would give the ability to create non-human or humanoid type characters and have an animation for them to create animated enemies in side view battle systems. But it would also allow for creating characters of the Horror style genre that doesn't use the traditional combat systems, characters that look and move much like the protagonists do.

This generator has some amazing potential, and it'll take some getting used to with asset management. Like adding beards to the female set, which at present all I've been able to do is add the beard category and not the actual assets themselves. However, I've only tinkered with it for about 5 minutes so that's to be expected. But the potential is obviously there.

5. mardin

mardin "...pretty please?" Veteran

First Language:
    German
    I've used it for PVs assets, did exactly what @Niten Ichi Ryu explained and it works like a charm. Even with all the recouloring, facesets, facebusts, sprites and whatever you want to set up. If you take your time and import all the stuff you are going to use (which is a bit of work), it will save you a lot of time in the future!

Thanks so much for sharing this awesome tool @Schlangan !

Niten Ichi Ryu likes this.
  6. vico

vico Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Portuguese
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like i said before, not long ago i tried to ressearch a way to create a new part to generate a RMXP-styled char, using equivalent parts from a old brazilian generator.
    I give up after realize the bizarre 1.5x tile size difference between XP (32px) and MV (48px). If i resize every part using Photoshop's Nearest neighboor the results would be horrible.

Well, anyway, its amazing what @Schlangan give to us. If this tile size difference didn't mattter, we could setup a multiple maker char generator (if we can found "equivalent" parts and the authors agree with that)!! It is awesome, beside the any other type of spirites the generator can do!

Awesome work as always, and i'm glad to see you back!

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2016
  7. Khayalan

Khayalan Mapping-Guru Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Really nice Generator Love it <3

One Thing i noticed, and for me its really important :p

If you change the eye colour it changes only on Portrait not on SV and Characterset

-Khayalan

RedWolfMustang likes this.
  8. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Khayalan: Yes, for now the eye color outside of the facesets can only be changed through "Color 2" of the body. A future version will implement links between elements, allowing to change both colors at the same time.

(I should write it somewhere on the first topic I guess, I've had that exact same questions many times :D )

9. GiuseppeIII3

GiuseppeIII3 Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey, when i try to import resources, the program runs to importing... TV\Male\ and then gets the error Index was outside the bounds of the array. Would you know what is causing this or how to fix this?

Details for Error Code: 

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
       at RPG_Maker_MV_Extended_Generator.Form4.btnImportMV_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
       at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
        Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 4.6.1080.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    RPG Maker MV Extended Generator
        Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
        CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Joseph/Desktop/RPG_Maker_MV_Extended_Generator.exe
    Microsoft.VisualBasic
        Assembly Version: 10.0.0.0
        Win32 Version: 14.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/v4.0_10.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
    System
        Win32 Version: 4.6.1081.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Core
        Win32 Version: 4.6.1038.0 built by: NETFXREL2
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
    System.Windows.Forms
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System.Drawing
        Win32 Version: 4.6.1078.0 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    System.Runtime.Remoting
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
    System.Configuration
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
    System.Xml
        Win32 Version: 4.6.1064.2 built by: NETFXREL3STAGE
        CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
        <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I all ready have set the program to run with administrator privileges and made sure the files weren't set to read only. 

Edit: Problem seemed to fix itself when I changed the naming scheme of the male items however the female times still seemed to process without the new naming scheme... Weird...

Edit 2: It's been over a day, is there a reason this message hasn't been approved yet!!!???

Edit 3: I've been using the generator for a little bit now and I have some suggestions.

1. The ability to move the order of parts, for better management 

2. The ability to mass delete parts

3. The ability to adjust the sizes of the various menus

4. The ability to have more than one graphic under the same icon. Ex: I want to put more than one face image with the same SV, TV, TVD. Maybe the ability to choose what parts you want for the icon chosen. Ex: you can choose to use the SV and TV but not the TVD and Face. You would then also be able to choose from more than one face option underneath the one icon.  

Amazing generator though, it works really, really well and I can't wait to see what is added next!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
  10. GiuseppeIII3

First Language:
    English
    Hey, when i try to import resources, the program runs to importing... TV\Male\ and then gets the error Index was outside the bounds of the array. Would you know what is causing this or how to fix this?

Details for Error Code: 

Reveal hidden contents

I all ready have set the program to run with administrator privileges and made sure the files weren't set to read only. 

Edit: Problem seemed to fix itself when I changed the naming scheme of the male items however the female times still seemed to process without the new naming scheme... Weird...

Edit 2: I've been using the generator for a little bit now and I have some suggestions.

1. The ability to move the order of parts, for better management 

2. The ability to mass delete parts

3. The ability to adjust the sizes of the various menus

4. The ability to have more than one graphic under the same icon. Ex: I want to put more than one face image with the same SV, TV, TVD. Maybe the ability to choose what parts you want for the icon chosen. Ex: you can choose to use the SV and TV but not the TVD and Face. You would then also be able to choose from more than one face option underneath the one icon.  

Amazing generator though, it works really, really well and I can't wait to see what is added next!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
    Schlangan likes this.
  11. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

The generator requires a perfect naming scheme while importing, or else it will crash. If, for some reason you are missing one element, it might crash. Same thing if you suddenly jump for element 17 to 19 for example.

You can already move the order of parts if you go the Manage Assets menu, under the Catgeories & Parts tab. You have to arrow buttons to change the order of parts per category.

What do you want exactly by mass deletion ? Having the ability to multiselect parts in the menu and delete them all at once ?

Everything is automatically resized when you change the size of the window. Isn't it enough ? What exactly do you want to be able to resize yourself, independently from the main window ?

The way the generator is done for now, that won't be possible. If I were to try to change this, everyone would have to reimport everything from scratch again. I can only tell you to create one resource per different face image. In that case, you could reimport the same SV, TV, TVD with the new face.

Another possibility that I could experience in a later version is an "advanced" mode, where, instead of displaying icons, the software display a list per template. In that case, you would be able to put non concordent elements between Face and TV for example. 

12. GiuseppeIII3

First Language:
    English

Yeah, that's what was weird. It needed it for the importation, but when i accidentally forgot to change the female file names, they went in perfectly. (some of these weren't even numbers but words!)

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant!. Mainly be able to ctrl and ctrl + shift click on items and then delete them.

Here I meant the individual resources per part. When you get a lot of resources it can get annoying to have to search for the one you want.

In the main window I would like to be able to resize, the area where you pick what resource you want to use and what color you want to use. With a lot of resources or colors these can be pretty small, especially since they don't get bigger when you resize the main window.

I have also wanted to make the manage assets window bigger, especially the tab under resources where it shows all of the resources you currently have. It takes a while to scroll down here to find what resource you want. This could be kind of alleviated with the use of a bigger window and possibly a search bar. 

Additionally on the topic of the resource tab in the manage assets window. It can be annoying how every time you go to a new asset without pushing the 'Update resource/name/category.part' button your work is deleted. Additionally when you push this button or the remove resource button, you are automatically sent back to the top of the list. It would be helpful if it kept you at the resource you were currently on.  

Also does the update file data button do anything, it seems as though even if I push this button if I don't push the update resource button everything I have changed is deleted.

Edit: It would be helpful if your resources were auto-updated when you changed things.

Edit 2: Also a duplicate tab here would be useful.

Edit 3: Another small QoL issue I found is that is the 'import\export Assets' window, under the 'RMMV folder type import' tab you can enter in a file address, you HAVE to search for it with the browse button. Additionally the browse button doesn't pick up on items that are short-cutted to your desktop.

These are really just QoL issues though and don't really detract from the overall amazingness of the generator. If these are too hard or annoying to implement, they aren't to big of issues and they can be worked around.

Yeah, for now I was just going to do it the way you stated above.

Edit 4: Question? Why do character, damage, and battler files need Mask files, but Face files don't? All face files need is a mask color?

I have to repeat though this is a  SUPER SUPER awesome utility and i'm incredibly happy that something like this has been created.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2016
    Schlangan likes this.
  13. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've added most of your suggestions in the first post, I'll try to implement this in future versions. Let me answer some of your questions though :

The Update file data is used when you change things such as the mask color. It saves the change on this specific file. The Update resource button contains all files, so you need to press this one too for the update. I'll have to think of simpler ways to save changes.

Auto-update can be heaven or hell. If you make no mistake, it saves you a lot of time. But, if you do something wrong, you have no way to cancel what just happened. I added this in suggestion, but there probably will be one checkbox that allows you to enable/disable the auto-updating.

I'll add the possibility to edit the path in the textbox. The .NET framework API that let you select folders cannot select shortcut files though. 

The question should be sent to Kadokawa. But I can give an answer from what I deduced. Charsets, Damage characters and Side view actors have few colors in their palette. Hence, it is pretty easy to create mask files, where the mask color is exactly replaced by the color you want. For the Faces, it is different. as you've probably noticed, the colors are smooth, you have gradients. Doing so, you don't replace a color, you grayscale the picture and superimpose the color. Because of this, every picture is directly transformed, there is no mask color, or else, it would require hundreds of colors in the mask.

14. GiuseppeIII3

First Language:
    English
    @Schlangan Thanks for the quick and incredibly helpful replies and for the amazing generator. I greatly anticipate your next update  :D

15. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    To everybody;

The next version will take quite a bit of time before the release; I decided to work on a major improvement of the editor, that will add ALL of your suggestions for the next version. However, to do so, some functions will be completely rewritten, and the main interface will change quite a bit. 

Here are some examples of the changes that will come with the next version :

- You won't be restricted by character categories anymore; one character will be able to possess Male and Female parts for example.

- If you want to put several items of the same part section, it will be possible. You will be able to manually adjust the Z-order of all elements if necessary. Theire X,Y positions will be changeable too.

- I plan to get rid of the gradients files. They are sometimes problematic, and I believe I can create system to let you create your own gradients as you need to, for much more versatility.

- I also plan to rewrite the asset management window, as it is for now quite complicated, especially with all the "Update" buttons. If I manage to do what I want, you would only have to click on the OK button once you're done.

In the mean time, if you have other suggestions, please give them to me. I'll try to implement them. To not let you too much in the dark, I'll update my advancement for the next version.

16. GiuseppeIII3

First Language:
    English

This looks absolutely amazing. Can't wait for it to be released!

In the meantime i'll see if I can find any other issues/bugs/suggestions! :)  

17. deciia

deciia Warper Member

First Language:
    Simplified Chin
    When imported to the new folder,I suggest to maintain the original directory unchanged,then I can copy back to MV's Generator folder.

18. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @deciia : What do you mean unchanged ? If you create new templates or parts, you won't be able to copy back in MV's folder.

19. sagebrushfire

sagebrushfire Villager Member

First Language:
    English

As a vehemently loyal C# programmer, my heart breaks a little. Is this WinForms or WPF? 

I've worked with WinForms but it's kind of ancient. I've never done a serious WPF but I've done Silverlight with XAML (which is extremely similar, basically just in an asynchronous web environment) and let me tell you, designing interfaces with Blend for Visual Studio is so much better than Windows Forms. XAML can be a pain in the ass sometimes but the editor is pretty amazing when you don't try to use third-party stuff. 

What you have here is great though, I was just wondering if anyone had worked on an advanced version of the generator. Personally I'd like to work on projects too but I'm not sure how far we can really take it without stepping on the company's toes. 

20. Schlangan

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @sagebrushfire : I'm using Windows Foms. I never tried WPF or Silverlight. As for how far we can take the generator, it is only a program to superimpose pictures. The way the generator is made, it is able to import RPG Maker's resources, but by default there is no resources included; doing so, it is not something that replace a functionality of RPG Maker, it is an additional program to create resources.