Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Alright - let me have 'em.  What are the most frequently-asked questions about MV?  I will post as many answers as I can in this post.  If the answer is "we can't say due to NDA" I will post that too.  Please be patient with me while we get this off the ground - I have a lot of other "real" work that I need to do as well.

Engine

Q: What can I do in MV that I can't do in Ace?

A: Excluding anything that requires plugins (otherwise the list would be endless):

higher resolution

run on multiple platforms

deploy to multiple platforms

better character generator

event searcher

bigger database

extra map layer (2 B-E tiles on top of each other)

choice between side view & front view battles

... more stuff that hasn't been officially revealed yet

Q: What can I do in Ace that I can't do in MV?

A: ...

not coming up with anything so far, sorry.

Q: Will there be a trial version or a Lite version?

A: There has been no information on this yet. We'll let you know as soon as we find out.
Preorder

Q: What's the difference between ordering on RM Web and on Steam?

A: Ordering from RM Web will give you a steam key and a non-steam key. Ordering on Steam will only give you a steam key. All of the preorder bonuses are the same.

Q: If I order from RM Web and get a steam key and a non-steam key, can I sell one of them or give it away?

A: No. It is one license, one key, that will activate both programs. You are not buying two programs.

Q: What are the preorder bonuses and will they be available after the preorder?

A: Cover Art Characters; Essentials Set; Plugins; Ace -> MV Converter

The Essentials Set will be available for purchase after the preorder ends. I don't know when, or for how much.

I don't know if the Cover Art Characters set will be available for purchase after the preorder ends. Archeia?

The plugins will be available for separate download, for free, as will the converter.
Platforms/Installation

Q: What platforms can I install this on?

A: PC or Mac

Q: Do I need a Mac to create an iOS build?

A: Yes

Q: Can I run this on Linux?

A: Honestly, we don't know - we haven't been able to test it. If you have a Windows emulator you should be able to. If it runs on a Mac there is a better chance it will run on Linux. But we just can't say for sure that it will - we'll have to wait until someone in the community actually tries and and lets us know how they go.

Q: Can I run this on my old computer?

A: The minimum specifications listed for all RPG Maker versions is what the engine SHOULD run on. This does not mean it WON'T run on computers with older operating systems or lower specifications. The further from the minimum specs you go, the more problems you could expect to see. Again, you'll just have to try it.

Q: Can I install on multiple computers?

A: You can install on up to 2 computers, as long as they both belong to you or to family members living in the same house. If two family members both want to create commercial games, each must have their own license.
Scripts/Plugins

Q: What is the language used?

A: JavaScript. Not Java, not Ruby.

Q: What are the plugins?

A: Yanfly Battle Engine Core + Action Sequence Packs 1, 2 and 3

Yanfly Message Core

Battle Mode Changer

Change Tile Size

8 Dir Movement

Skip Title Screen

No Autoshadows

Bestiary

Ace -> MV Converter (this is an Ace script, not an MV plugin)

Yanfly's Skill Core

Victory Aftermath

HP Skill Cost

Luna Engine Lite

HP Consume Skill

Simple Message Sideview

Battle Results Popup

(tell me which ones I miss, as I'm bound to)

Q: Will there still be incompatibility issues with plugins, like there were with scripts?

A: Yes, because behind the scenes, plugins are really just scripts with a fancy front-end. Script incompatibilities were due to the ways scripts were written by their authors, and that doesn't change just because the scripts are added to the game differently or are written in a new language.

Q: Will I still have to start a new game after adding new plugins?

A: Yes, just like you do with Ace. If a script or plugin sets up new variables as part of the initialization process, and doesn't cater for the possibility of a save file being used where that initialization hasn't run, there could still be the same issues.
Converting

Q: Can I convert my Ace project?

A: Sort of. Using the converter, you can convert all your .rvdata2 files to .json format for use in MV. You can manually copy over your resources. You can use the Change Tile Size plugin to make MV play using your resources straight out of Ace. Or you can resize all of your resources to MV's specifications. Any scripts or script calls will need to be converted manually. You can go here to see more about the converter or to ask questions about it.

Q: Can I convert my VX project?

A: At the moment there is no converter, but hopefully one will be written shortly after MV's release.

Q: Can I convert my XP project?

A: At the moment there is no converter. This will only happen if a member of the community writes one.
Resources

Q: What are the resource specifications?

A: Battlebacks: 1000x740

Tileset: 48x48

Icons: 32x32

Faces: 144x144

Character: 48x48

SV Battlers: 64x64

Bubbles: 48x48

Iconset: 32x32

States: 96x96

Weapons: 96x64

Windowskin: 192x192

Q: Can I use Ace/VX/XP resources in MV?

A: If you own a valid license for MV and for another RPG Maker, you can use resources from one in the other. As always, you may need to reformat or resize them.

Q: Will the RTP be available separately?

A: RTP = Run Time Package, and is a separate package that can be downloaded by people who don't have the engine so they can play your games. MV's resources are part of the engine and will be automatically available in your project. There is no separate RTP to download. This means when you distribute your game, all the necessary resources will be included and players will not have to download/install anything extra to play it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tearsofthenight

Evil Sorcerer/Mystic Key Stealer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
hey shaz, what i want to know is, will mv support Ruby or will it just be Java?

Ms Littlefish

Dangerously Caffeinated
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The "can I redownload/put on what computer, ect" question. That one, was. Yeah. Near constant.

I hope this thread really helps you guys out.

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Will there be a monster HP/MP bar plugin?

Goldstorm

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕗ
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thank you Shaz.

My question is "What can I do in RPG Maker MV that I can't do in VX Ace, and vice-versa?"

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, the Steam/non-Steam key issue thing and number of computers you can install it on and who can use it on those computers.

Converting (you would hope the conversion thread would cover that, but still).

Resource sizes. Coding language. Converting resources (if this doesn't fall under converting the project).

Known plug-ins to date (maybe update as they are revealed).

What's included in the preorder on the store and on Steam (I know, same, but people will ask).

No-RTP

Operating systems it supports. Linux compatibility.

Carde

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
What icon is used for SV attack animations? Is it a default icon per weapon type or can you choose your own icon to fit the equipped item itself?

If its a default icon can/has a plugin be made to make custom icons to go with equipped weapons?

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@Carde, I've seen the weapon graphics per weapon type. Not sure about individual weapons but what has been shown is not icons. 

I'm pretty confident that Mac users won't get screwed, but one OS won't be missing out on certain things, right?

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay, first set up. @Carde, I can't answer your question because there have been no announcements/official information given on that yet (and because I haven't looked for/at them myself).

@AwesomeCool, some people have some problems that just can't be solved. Even with the awesomeness of MV.

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Is there a way to have multiple hits with normal weapons with or without Yanfly's Core Battle Script?

Candacis

Pixel Pusher
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
About the question 'what can i do in mv that I can't do in ace', I think, the fact that you can map two b-tiles on top of each other without the need of an event, is pretty big.

And also the fact, that it supports now sideview battle by default.

And thank you for doing this faq!

Q: Do I need a Mac to create an iOS build?
A: Yes
Uh, I didn't know about that one. I really need a mac to port to iOS?

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Well hopefully this will help ease some of the questions being asked from having to be re-answered so much, hopefully...Anyway thanks for your efforts Shaz, lots of information  was put into this but more importantly your time.

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't want to clutter up this thread, but it looks really great so far.

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Hoppy, can't answer that. Also that's the first time I've seen someone ask it. This is kind for FAQ (as in frequently asked).

??????

Diabolical Codemaster
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Binary
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have two questions please and thanking you.. (ordered with their relevance of course...)

1 - Will there be an MV pre-order forum badge!! (edit: and forum name color differentiation)

2 - What time && timezone will MV be released??

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
@Hoppy, can't answer that. Also that's the first time I've seen someone ask it. This is kind for FAQ (as in frequently asked).
I'm surprised I'm first to ask it as some RPG Maker games had multiple with normal weapons (the DS games allowed 2 hits with any weapon if you had the double hit skill on a character's class).

Kane Hart

Elmlor.com
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Shaz I assume you used MV. I hear this one a couple times now asking if the Random Dungeon Maker still exists. 

If not might answer "Q: What can I do in Ace that I can't do in MV?"

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm surprised I'm first to ask it as some RPG Maker games had multiple with normal weapons (the DS games allowed 2 hits with any weapon if you had the double hit skill on a character's class).
I didn't say you were the first to ask. I said it's the first time I've seen someone ask it.

Carde

Degibeta Team
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Okay, first set up. @Carde, I can't answer your question because there have been no announcements/official information given on that yet (and because I haven't looked for/at them myself).
I have to assume there's a way but out of fear that it was overlooked I am concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Here's the one that flee from no foe, the brave Sir Kiwival! Also protagonist of my current project.

This is the cover art of new game, "Primordial Essence".
I'm amazed at the performance increase I saw in just going through and rescoping the variables in other people's plugins that I'm using. You know what that means? :LZSexcite:
//Tosses more absurd stuff onto the game of "Jenga" that is his RM project.
:rheh:
Browsing through Steam's Curator Connect, it seems the vast majority of curators haven't curated in months. I'm guessing people finally got tired of reviewing games for free. Can't blame them.
Satisfy my curiosity for a sec please, folks: how many people actively followed/follow my Slip into Ruby or Jump into Javascript series and have found them useful for learning what makes RM tick?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Makual