RPG Maker MV FAQ

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I just recorded a LONG video showing all (most) of the differences/new features/changes in MV. I added it to the very first question, but it's here if you want to watch it:

pincaviglia86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
For the resources section you want to add this one.

(Also, thanks to everyone who help me for giving me info on the answer.)

I can't find the special folder of resources in the Base Resource file?  Where is it and what is in it?

This folder was  part of the Base Resources and was removed from the BaseResource.zip shortly after it could be downloaded, because of some concerns people had over the art not being suitable in one or two cases for all ages of the character pictures

As it was pulled quickly only some people have it while many don't as part of the Base Resources.

The zip with them is 667 MB and the  zip with them removed is 556 MB.

Any ideas on how to request these missing resources? I would like to get them. They did not come with my preorder.

The resources in it consisted of 1041 pngs that were broken up as follows:

657 Character pictures  

These are split in to 2 different folders titled "character1" & "character2".  Each of these folders has a sub folder for the different resolutions.

The folder "character1" has 31 characters in 3 different resolutions. (93 pngs total)

The folder "character2" has 188 characters in 3 different resolutions. (564 pngs total)

342 Enemies pictures (battlers)  (The Japanese site incorrectly says 341.)

Splt into "enemies1", "enemies2", and "enemies3" folders with sub folders in each for the 3 different resolutions.

The folder "enemies1" has 46 battlers in 3 different resolutions. (138 pngs total)  These are mostly mecha and small number of female sci-fi characters.)

The folder "enemies2" has 15 battlers in 3 different resolutions. (45 pngs total)  These are modern horror battlers.  (zombies, creepy business men, weird mutated animals. etc.)

The folder "enemies3" has 53 battlers in 3 differnt resolutions.  (159 pngs total) These are samurai battlers for historic based games set during the Sengoku period.)

42 Backgrounds

In 1 folder titled "background01" that has 42 backgrounds in it.  The backgrounds are modern ones, specifically Japanese city based in most cases.

The Staff has said that they will make the resources special folder available for download for those who want it at some point in the future that didn't have it the Base Resources they downloaded..

Traverse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Huh. 1041 image files and 111mb. That seems like a substantial amount to just cut out from the resource package. In fact, that's TWICE the size of the what was left (the images that were left, anyway - the audio takes up about 500mb on its own). And here I was under the impression it was just a couple of portraits and background images.

I will not be impressed - but also not very surprised - if Enterbrain made the last minute call to cut them out just so they could sell it all back to people later as overpriced DLC. In fact, if I were a conspiracy nut I'd propose that the whole thread about removing the resources for ethical reasons was either staged on purpose or else they were opportunistic enough to use it as an excuse.

Just calling it before it happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I will not be impressed - but also not very surprised - if Enterbrain made the last minute call to cut them out just so they could sell it all back to people later as overpriced DLC. In fact, if I were a conspiracy nut I'd propose that the whole thread about removing the resources for ethical reasons was either staged on purpose or else they were opportunistic enough to use it as an excuse.

I'm pretty sure they said they'll release it for free. I don't think there's a conspiracy here -- they had to release MV all over the world, and some areas (*cough*here in America*cough*) are really uptight about sex.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It wasn't Enterbrain, Inc. who pulled them, it was Degica.  Degica is the English /International distributer. 

Also, you may want to note that the Cover Art characters and the Base Resources are part of MV  and included in it in Japan, but Degica is selling those resources separately for those who didn't preorder and they are not being included with the "base" MV, but the separate sold  Base Resources are missing  the special resources from what I understand.

If the separate selling of Base Resources is going to have an option for those pulled resources, I don't know.  I asked that question and got no response as I have some friends who didn't get preorder and are planning to get MV.

You can check out these threads as they go into detail about the special resources, some have pictures of some of them in them.  Just about all of them have been locked by moderators.

Also, the last link is to another MV forum  post about them that has pictures of many of them.  (I really want the samurai ones  and girl with the machine gun.)

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/48877-missing-samurai-robots-zobies-etc-battlers-in-mv-resources/

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46372-really-suitable-for-kids/

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46409-fanservice-hentai-content-in-mv/

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49562-rpg-maker-mv-preorder-bonus/

http://www.rpgmakermv.co/threads/what-to-do-with-these-bonus-graphics.405/

They have said that those preorders who didn't get them in their BaseRessource zip would be able to download them in the near future, but no idea when.  I preorder and don't have them.and had to do a lot of digging and ask questions to find out what was missing.  Very grateful to everyone who supplied information to me on them..

Huh. 1041 image files and 111mb. That seems like a substantial amount to just cut out from the resource package. In fact, that's TWICE the size of the what was left (the images that were left, anyway - the audio takes up about 500mb on its own). And here I was under the impression it was just a couple of portraits and background images.

Traverse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
They have said that those preorders who didn't get them in their BaseRessource zip would be able to download them in the near future, but no idea when.
The thread in the first link you put up says sometime "after the holidays", so I wouldn't hold my breath. It will probably be a few months before they put them up again and they will probably censor/remove some of the more suggestive images anyway. I hope we get them for free too, but what Celianna mentioned in that second thread about "what you paid for was RPG Maker MV and the RTP" and how all the staff are going on about how it was a "mistake" to include them makes me believe they fully intend to sell them separately. Not once in all of those "we will make available for download in some form for those who want them" have they said they will make them available for free.

If the Japanese release is really getting these for free when it comes out next month there, I will be even less amused. Say what you want about Japanese products being priced higher on average, but Amazon Japan is taking pre-orders for about 10,000 yen, which at current exchange rates is about pretty much the same as what people paid for pre-order on this side of the world, $80 USD.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@ Tommy Gun

You might want to put in the revert to 1.0 information that is on the Steam site, as some are having trouble with the 1.01 version on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/363890/announcements/detail/94933599167286102

Also, they have some base spites you can download on the Japanese site for MV in a zip, but I'll have to do some screen shots to show where to click to download them as I can't post the direct link to the file because you have to agree to an EULA that pops up and click accept to get the the download for them.    I can PM you a zip with the screen shoots if I have trouble getting them to upload in a post so you can add them an info.

Give me a couple of days to get to this as I'm currently during a proofing of a French a paper and pencil RPG book for a cyberpunk/horror game set in futuristic Japan, that was translated into English and just released as a PDF before the print version comes out in English so that any errors, etc.  can get fixed.

@Travese

I  noticed one link was missing from my previous post when I did a copy and past of all the links  This is the link and I edited my post to add it.

Also, don't forget that Japanese makers come with a physical disk in a case when you are looking at costs.

Lunarea in the Member+ Thread I gave a link to in my previous post above said that they will be free.  Her quote for those non Member+ people who can't read the thread was.

Yes, the special zip file with VN material will be released - free of charge - but please be patient with us as we work out the best way to do so.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Another new one.

Where can I play the Japanese MV sample games?

10 sample games are currently know of being made for MV in the 1st series of sample games

Currently all of the sample games are not available they are being released slowly.

3 are out now as of 11-19-2015

3 more scheduled for release 11-20-2015

4 more will be released on 11-27-2015

You can play the games by going to this page.

http://info.nicovideo.jp/gamemaga/mvsample/

Each game description has a big blue box next to it that says Game Play in English that you click on to play that game.

(Note for Tommy Gun:  I tried these out in a couple of browsers and got errors with some browsers about not being about to load local files.  So you may want to add some troubleshooting information.)

Traverse

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Lunarea in the Member+ Thread I gave a link to in my previous post above said that they will be free.  Her quote for those non Member+ people who can't read the thread was.

Yes, the special zip file with VN material will be released - free of charge - but please be patient with us as we work out the best way to do so.
Well that explains why I never saw it. Thanks for the heads up. Also, my bad before, the pre-order was $72. Guess the extra $8 on the Japanese release is the cost of a boxed copy.

Incidentally, the base sprites you mentioned wouldn't happen to be the first download on here, would it? (Link: https://tkool.jp/mv/index.html#download)

From what meagre Japanese I can grasp, the first point on the Terms says you're not meant to use it outside RPGTsukuru MV or other Tsukuru software, the second point says you can freely modify and redistribute the modified resources, but if you actually want to use it in an RPGTsukuru MV game, you must be a registered user of RPGTsukuru MV. The third point simply says you're not allowed to sell the modified resources or redistribute the non-modified base sprites.

The sticking point in this is whether RPGTsukuru is considered a separate product from RPGMaker. Because if it is then technically you're not going to be allowed to use it (or any of its modifications) with RPGMaker at all.

EDIT: Of course, if anyone is that desperate to get their hands on blank sprites, I'd like to point out that all of it is included in the generator parts in the actual maker anyway.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Yeah that is the page.  I had posted the direct link before to the file in another thread post, but was told I couldn't post the direct link to the file  because of the EULA.

jayray

Jay Ray Games and Art Design- Oklahoma City, OK
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Question: how do I host a web version of the game online. I am using a domain that has a cpanel. Was just curious if I would just upload the game project directory onto a directory in my public_html or what?

Just curious as I want to be sure of capabilities before I dig into my wallet for this...

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Yes, I think so (haven't tried it yet). From the manual:

When Publishing on the Web

You can play the game in the browser by simply uploading the project folder onto a Web server.
* The project folder will be located in the location specified in "Location" when creating a new project and saving.
* The Game.rpgproject and save folder are not needed to run the game, but there will not be any issues even if you upload them.

pincaviglia86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
I'm pretty sure they said they'll release it for free. I don't think there's a conspiracy here -- they had to release MV all over the world, and some areas (*cough*here in America*cough*) are really uptight about sex.
upset about sex??!! Have you watched "Southpark" lately??!! They should be more upset about caving in to political correctness. Seen any 3ds games lately? That company is about as disney as you can get, and probably 95% of their customer base are kids. for heaven's sake, I have seen worse in mario games...not to mention the shim megami tensei series. How do you think people feel about being cheated out of so many graphics that "ARE NOT" offensive, that were just tossed out with the bunch?...especially the ones who pre-ordered the "big ole pack" as it was advertised. Don't you think those people feel a bit slighted, especially knowing that some got the assests and some did not. For once, I would love to see even a semblance to a date on when they "Plan" on releasing those assets. Hopefully it won't be as long as when they "plan" on fixing all of their bugs? It would also be nice to hear different replies from "it's only been out a month, then , it's only been out for two months, next three, then next four and so on and so on." Without a doubt, the 2 most disturbing things I found out from surfing this forum are (1) that big ole group of beta testers (what was it...30) missed a good deal of things. ya think?! what is that...a class room of people? and (2) I never once saw in any forum I have ever been on, that bugs "would not" be fixed unless the exalted ones in Japan saw them as bugs. Now that is reassuring to all the ones out there experiencing the bugs. yes, quite reassuring I'm sure.

pincaviglia86

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
It wasn't Enterbrain, Inc. who pulled them, it was Degica.  Degica is the English /International distributer. 

I think that the discrimination towards the unlucky one should be mentioned to the FTC and they should be more worried about that than a couple of offensive pictures.

Also, you may want to note that the Cover Art characters and the Base Resources are part of MV  and included in it in Japan, but Degica is selling those resources separately for those who didn't preorder and they are not being included with the "base" MV, but the separate sold  Base Resources are missing  the special resources from what I understand.

If the separate selling of Base Resources is going to have an option for those pulled resources, I don't know.  I asked that question and got no response as I have some friends who didn't get preorder and are planning to get MV.

You can check out these threads as they go into detail about the special resources, some have pictures of some of them in them.  Just about all of them have been locked by moderators.

Also, the last link is to another MV forum  post about them that has pictures of many of them.  (I really want the samurai ones  and girl with the machine gun.)

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/48877-missing-samurai-robots-zobies-etc-battlers-in-mv-resources/http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46372-really-suitable-for-kids/http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/46409-fanservice-hentai-content-in-mv/http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/49562-rpg-maker-mv-preorder-bonus/

They have said that those preorders who didn't get them in their BaseRessource zip would be able to download them in the near future, but no idea when.  I preorder and don't have them.and had to do a lot of digging and ask questions to find out what was missing.  Very grateful to everyone who supplied information to me on them..

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
pincaviglia86, please avoid double posting, as it is against the forum rules. You can review our forum rules here. Thank you.

Also, please edit your last post. When you are quoting someone, it's okay to remove bits, if you leave a ... to indicate something was removed. But it's NOT okay to add stuff that wasn't said in the original post. You are claiming Jay_NOLA said things that he didn't, and you need to fix it.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Free Base Sprites Download

To get the free base character sprites download for RPG Maker MV do the following:

1.  Go to the Japanese MV website which is at this link:

http://tkool.jp/mv/

You'll should see what is in Picture 1 when you get to it.

Picture 1.png

2.) Scroll down till you come to the part as indicated in Picture 2 in the page and click on the blue link box button, I also indicted in the Picture 2.

Picture 2.png

3.  You'll have a Japanese EULA pop up as shown in Picture 3.

You click the blue link box as indicted in Picture 3 at the end to download the zip file of the sprites.

Picture 3.png

A rough slightly paraphrased for clarity translation of the EULA is as follows:

Terms of Service

Use in other software including other Maker series is prohibited.

You may with out having a registered copy of RPG Maker MV to  distribute the material and modify the material and distribute the modified version for free.

However, if you want to release a game using that used this material in anyway you must own a registered copy of RPG Maker MV.

The selling of this material and of modified versions or the processing of it for material sales and the material for secondary distribution is prohibited.

Translation Notes: If your not clear about the 3rd term and the 2nd term  is basically saying you can't sell the material, or separate resources made with it.  (New sprites made from them for example.) This would also include a spiriting program and additions to programs to make RPG Maker MV sprites using them  given my understanding of the EULA.

You can still sell your game if you use them or a modified version of them in it as long as you own a registered copy of RPG Maker MV.

2nd MV Wednesday Update

You want to put in a link to the 2nd MV Wednesday Update thread so people can know where the can download the new updates that got released that week which is at

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/52082-mv-wednesday-updates-part-2/

You also need to add in the 1st MV Wednesday Update thread I posted earlier as it also contains new updtes for download.

Additionally, the official parallax mapping bug script fix which looks a little different from the parallax mapping bug script fix script that the FAQ directs you to is in the 1st MV Wednesday Update download file.

You'll also want to add in new MV Wednesday Update threads when they are posted.

So currently as I type this you have to go to 3 different threads to get all the official updates for RPG Maker MV.  When the next update is poted which ought to be tomorrow this will change to 4.

Japanese Sample Games (Update)

Update the Japanese sample games in the FAQ  with this info

All of the web versions of sample games are out now.  (9 total)

The 10th preview on the Japanese MV web site in the Sample Games section  isn't a game but is a preview to show that MV comes with sample maps and gives some info on the creator of them.

The do not work like all other RPG Maker in Internet Explorer.

Do not use Google Translate or click from a Google Translate page to play them as this will cause an error.

Other Notes

They have some official Japanese MV tutorials on the Japanese MV website and one even has a Japanese tutorial project sample you can download to see how to set up teleportation in RPG Maker MV.  I'll try and translate it and the project if I have time and if any one want to help.

Tommy Gun

♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Free Base Sprites Download

2nd MV Wednesday Update

Japanese Sample Games (Update)
1 - What are these? Are these brand new sprites? Please start a new thread with all that info, and I will link to it in the FAQ. If these are new then it would be good to have a new thread about it to make sure people see it (maybe in the Resources forum?). Thanks!

2 - I already added Update1 (when I "liked" your post that indicated I added it). But I updated the parallax bug to link to the update thread. And Update2 doesn't seem to have any bug fixes, so I didn't link to it -- but I did add more info about where to find these updates. If there are new bug fixes I'll add them.

3 - Done.

Jay_NOLA

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks Tommy.

Regarding 1.)

These are the base MV character sprites that KADOKAWA, the manufacturer of RPG Maker MV,  has made available for free download to those that own registered copies of RPG Maker MV.

I made thread in the MV Resources section with all the information so you can link to it..

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/52589-official-kadokawa-base-mv-character-sprites-download-information/?p=519241

Regarding 3.)  Had some text that got cut by accident  in one sentence.

The Japanese sample games, like all other online MV games, can not be played using Internet Explorer.  Not sure if that was clear.

Finally I have one new one to add

"Official", Quasi-Official", and "Semi-Official" Plugins Meanings

Can you explain what is meant by "official" plugins, "quasi-official" and "semi-official" plugins?  Several Japanese MV Maker sites, blog posts, etc. including the main Japanese MV sites refers to the plugins that come with MV as being "official" while others that come with MV are not.

The Japanese RPG Maker MV comes with 37 plugins.  These are all found in the KadokawaPlugins.zip file that is in the downloads for the English release of MV.

Only 7 of the plugins that come with MV are "official" ones that KADOKAWA supports. All the other plugins are "quasi-official" or "semi-official", and many of these "non-official ones" are used in the Japanese MV sample games.  

Using the seven "official plugins" are covered in the RPG Maker MV Help section.

The 7 "official plugins" are by default copied into the plugins folder of any new project.

The seven "official plugins" are:

AltMenuScreen.js
AltSaveScreen.js
EnemyBook.js
ItemBook.js
SimpleMsgSideView.js
TitleCommandPosition.js
WeaponSkill.js

Caution is to be exercised in using "quasi-official" plugins, for in principle the are supported by users and have no official documentation in RPG Maker MV covering the use of them.

"Semi-Official" plugins are "quasi-official" plugins that have been given some support in the form of being explaining what they do or showing how  to use in an official tutorial on the official Japanese MV site.  They still must be used with the same cautions that apply to all other "Quasi-official" plugins though.

Note, that some Japanese websites use refer to all the non-official plugins as being both "semi-official" or "quasi-official" and ignore the exact differences between the two, and just  use the terms interchangeably.

Quick edit to add some additional new information on the Japanese sample games

All of the Japanese sample games can now be downloaded for offline play for Windows and some of them have new resources in them.

The download buttons is right bellow the button to play the game online.

when you click it you get taken to another page and you click the blue button at the bottom to start the download of that game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

It's Saturday already. Last Saturday felt just like yesterday. o_o
I really need to stop adding more levels to this thing already...
My computer is now on the dead list. Parts and Services stopped two days ago for this type.
someone help my thread has been silent since the initial post I just wanna make a goddamn game
People3_6 and People3_7 added!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OYeh