RPG Maker MV Game Making Drive

Discussion in 'Community Announcements and Events' started by Bonkers, Nov 9, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Digital Religion

Digital Religion Dark Devil Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I wish I did them. lol I did all the layout design and the graphics other than the characters. I am horrible at character design.  I actually got those characters from this website. http://fayforest.sakura.ne.jp/

2. Matombo

Matombo Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Ok in Ace i learned how to make and now with MV i actually want to finish a game, lol.

So my Project: "Lost Soul" (Not so creative i know, it's a working Title)

For my first post a screenshot of the entrance point of a new game (TES Style, always start in prison xD)

[​IMG]

3. UNphiltered_khaos

UNphiltered_khaos Game Dev. Artist. Veteran

First Language:
    Americanese
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Woop! Wooop! I finished another project! I am going through to add some tinting to the maps, and some other minor polishing touches, but I have gotten 3 short, non-rpg games done since about this time last month, minus title screens... I figure I can have it fully complete and ready for release by the end of today, but I might not release it officially until Tuesday.

4. Numieth

Numieth local demon appreciator Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Very nice, congrats! :)

So, is today the last day to post? I guess I'll update with my, uh, greatest work yet then. Some character art I've been working on.

[​IMG]Bow down to the terror teddy, heathens!

See, this is what you get for falling for clickbait.
    There is an explanation, but I'm not about to give it. ¬_¬ And I gotta improve that terrible shading... oh well. At least I can still claim that this is progress.

5. Seacliff

Seacliff RPG Maker Mastermind Veteran

First Language:
    Yes
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k
    I'm very late, aren't I? I guess better late than never. :p

Anyways, I'm working on a short 2-3 hour project right now. Everything I'm about to say can be backed up on it's RMN page, but I'll post things here anyways.

The title is EXTREME.DAVID (The period is from my impersonation of the semicolons in 5pb. titles like Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate, and Robotic;Notes)

As of now it's a very humble and simple game, the resolution isn't anything to brag about (960x720) and it's mostly made out of rtp. I'd say it's main appeal on the cover would be the battle system, which removes the basic attack command in favor of having to sacrifice something in order to attack. When the character's skill resource is low (called WP), you can guard (called 'Charge' in this game) to recover WP. It's not that complex, but it keeps the player from spamming the attack button.

The plot is character driven, involving a group of teens in search for the one who killed their friend, who was the last female of her race. Since parts of the plot are a bit cliche, I do hope it's spiced up when the player finds out the true motive... which might not be until the sequel.

6. Enhanced Star

Enhanced Star Hyper Fox RPG Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm working on my project called Hyper Fox RPG 3. So I made Food & Drink Shop Map, I should finish making game sometime.

[​IMG]

7. Amy Pond

Amy Pond Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English (UK)
    I think I'm close to release. Looks like my project thread didn't get approved though.

Fell into the trap of making a flashy website with some of the time. I spend too much on hype thinking people won't be interested in my game. That's how vaporware happens. And is a bad Thing to Do.

Nonetheless I DID need the website for user registration and it might as well look like someone's designed it well.

Lots of planning done. I have the next few months' development planned out, providing the game goes down well.

8. Parallax Panda

Parallax Panda Got into VxAce ~2014 and never stopped... Veteran

First Language:
    Swedish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Since it's Monday I guess it is time to evaluate how everything went. The week was very busy just as I thought and I didn't get as much done as I had hoped, but progress is always progress. And while we are on the topic of progress, the biggest progress have no doubt been everything I have learned in GIMP while working on my edits, this has been a great learning experience.

But without further ado...

Parallax Panda's Results For This Week!

Ok, so my first goal was to finish som edits of MV's fantasy RTP (A1 and A2 to be precise). Unfortunately I am not done with that, mainly because I spent two days learning about color manipulation and then ended up scraping my edits anyway. What! Why did I do that?  :o   Well, I didn't like them and I realized that there was another way to get a better end result and that starting over would save time and effort in the long run.

In my first attempt I edited one tile at the time which didn't turn out well. It was hard to remember exactly what I had done to one grass tile so that I could apply the same changes to the next one to get a matching style. Also, when I wanted to change the color of the dirt I ended up manipulating the color of the grass on that same tile as well. It was difficult to make it look good.
    I can hear some of you thinking "Haha.. maan, Parallax Panda must be a real n00b when it comes to GIMP. How come he don't know about the X tool or the Y technique?" :guffaw: ...And right you are. I never used GIMP before and I haven't used photoshop in ages since my digital art mainly have been pixelart I've stuck with GrapicGale until now. Just downloaded GIMP a few days before this one week drive started so this is all new to me.

Anyway, so what did I end up doing instead? Oh well, I thought that if I carefully cut and separate each element and put them on different layers but in the same image I won't have the same problems, and I can edit all grass on all tiles at the same time. So I selected the lasso tool, zoomed in as far as I could and cut everything into pieces by carefully tracing the borderes of the pixels. Sounds tedious? It is. I've spent more than 7 hours peering at the screen with cramps in my right shoulder, and I ain't done yet. fact is, I've only finished the "Outside A1". But the good part is that when I have this all done I will have some really neat templates that I can use to make many, many edits from in the future. :D :rock-right:

A not so interesting screenshot

[​IMG]
    When DivaThug said he wanted to see screenshots I bet he didn't expect someone to print screen their process in GIMP, but there you go. That's what it looks like if you zoom out. It's about 15 minutes of tracing on just this cluster of tiles so far. By the way. If anyone know a faster way to do it (pixel perfect) please, pleeeease tell me. ;_;

I did sort my plugin list, and I started this thread to figure out how to do the credits. I also ended up contacting a few people on this forum whom I was not sure how they wanted to be thanked in my credits. So while there is still a bit more work to do on the project template before I start making any real games the credits part is done, for now. Still a few details that I am not sure about that might be subject to change in the future though. Need to be careful with these legal stuff. :)

All in all I would say that even though it was not a perfect success - I failed forward, and I am happy with that. Would be glad to do this again sometime when I hopefully got more time on my hands. A christmas Drive would be cool! ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2015
  9. Jeneeus Guruman

Jeneeus Guruman The Returnee Veteran

First Language:
    Filipino
    I think I haven't posted here for days but I'll put my progress from those days:

• Done populating the field and forest maps between the 2nd and 3rd town of the game. But still, I haven't populated many NPCs in the game in town. :rswt:
    • Adjusted the lute's position because it didn't match on where should it handled by the battler.
    • Added the last missing plugins in my game that were on Ace and now available on MV and adjusted many things in relation to that.
    • Adjusted many skill's properties like its action sequence, requirements, and who will learn those. Like my bow skills now require arrows equipped and available in the inventory to be used.

10. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Forgot to post yesterday, so a sum of what I did during the week end:

- I set up the battleback format I'll be using. It will be tiles like a normal map for a better immersion.

- I created the three first enemies, charsets, facesets and battler (MV generated).

- I created the battler of the first main character and chose to draw the weapons on the sprites directly instead of relying on the imperfect weapon system of MV.

- Using Yanfly's action sequences I'm using the motions to do different animations while doing skills.

- I setup the 28 elements of my game

- I created the new skill window with more information, as I added critical ratios to the skills.

Screenshot of the skill window :

[​IMG]
    Screenshot of the first characters facing the bandits in the training room (hypothetical fight that won't appear in-game)

[​IMG]
    Battler file for the soldier (some empty spaces left as I didn't need them)

[​IMG]

Deceius, Lucin and Cvrtis like this.
  11. ♥ azura ♥

♥ azura ♥ Solitary Songstress Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I caught sick while working on my project for the drive, and am only getting back to it today (though I am at work for another 3 hours too). I'm definitely inspired by seeing the work everyone has done and it's inspired me to get really cracking on learning MV and getting familiar with using the larger maps. Great job to everyone and good luck!

12. Lowell

Lowell The Walking Atelier Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Didn't get much done in the skills department but I did manage to get damage formula's and other tidbits done. Other than that it's the usually plotting, mapping, and chatting going on.

13. SOC

SOC "God is my Judge" Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Time for my update!

My finger is healing and is much better now, but still difficult to work with. Still, I was able to finish this map! I would consider it my second map since I count the entrance one.

Limiting my self to MV's RTP is very tough! I loved VX Ace's, but MV's feels like it steps backwards quite a bit. The dungeon tiles especially are hard to work with as it's hard to convey multiple "floor levels!" I'm not a fan of this particular wall/floor choice, but it's all that I feel like is viable considering it's the only floor tile with frozen water access.

[​IMG]

Shinju Fortuna likes this.
  14. Shinju Fortuna

Shinju Fortuna RPG Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    I'm working on Goddess Falls with Lux Fortuna. I'm the one doing the art, and he does everything else.

I just completed this tonight and I want to show it off. :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

StarkinGyra and SOC like this.
  15. StarkinGyra

StarkinGyra Adventurer Member

First Language:
    English
    Shinju Fortuna, those are very cool.  Very well done.

I would like to report that I got my town all done, but some computer issues has taken it down. Lost all my stuff. Had to reinstall it all and start from scratch over the weekend. Well maybe it is a good thing. I think I was thinking to big. Smaller towns for the area I have the game starting in.

16. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    So far, my Stealth plug-in seems to be 90% complete.  Vision and hearing detection work, and hearing detection can be modified by worn equipment.  The plug-in generates an aggregate "Stealth Score" which it puts in a user defined variable, and turns on Self-Switch C for an Event which is Searching and Self-Switch D for an Event which has Detected the party.  The plug-in has a large number of parameters, with reasonable defaults, to fine tune exactly how the plug-in operates.

Each Event can also have its own unique detection level, and vision and hearing detection modifiers.  

The plug-in also correctly allows Events to have Patrol Routes, each identified by a Region ID.  When an Event detects the Party, it stops Patrolling and goes to one of the other states.

There needs to be some type of Stealth Gauge onscreen but I have no idea how to display one.

Considering I'd never done JavaScript before, it's pretty good progress for less than a week.

SOC likes this.
  17. Shinju Fortuna

Shinju Fortuna RPG Artist Member

First Language:
    English
    StarkinGyra, thank you :)

I love the character design, especially the hair, it's so much fun to draw!! And this is technically my first success in drawing a male character. Ever. I usually mess it up one way or the other, but this turned out really well and I'm hoping it's because I'm getting better.

18. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    All the technical stuff for my Nodeboard system is working. It's all controled with the mouse (or tap). The mouse isn't showing here since it's a screenshot. Testing out graphics now.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2015
  19. Schlangan

Schlangan A madman with a computer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I thought that this was lasting until the 16th ? Are we still to post updates ?

If yes, I've been working on many things, battlers, tilesets, game mechanics, menus. Here comes a screenshot of the first map of the first mission:

[​IMG]

Digital Religion likes this.
  20. gRaViJa

gRaViJa Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Yeah, where is our awesome badge? :)