RPG Maker MV Gameboy

DaneReid

Musician
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Looking to make gameboy sprites, tilesets, and graphics in general and trying to match it's resolution (using a plugin to make the resolution the same as gameboy's resolution) with RPG Maker MV. If anyone could help me out by giving advice and/or links that'll be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited:

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Sorry, not the correct thread.
[move]Resource Support[/move]

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Most of the advice for making pixel art for any tile size is going to be the same when working for Gameboy, but the GB has a few extra limitations that make things harder than making most pixel art. Mostly using 4 colors. Working in such a low color environment makes things like contrast, lighting, and positive/negative space much more important, as those things are carrying more weight in defining what your artwork represents to the viewer. You also don't have a whole lot of space to work in, so each pixel conveys way more information and has to be placed more carefully.

As for logistics, I find it easier to size up the graphics to fit MV than I do fixing up MV to use smaller tiles (through plugins and external map editors). Getting the icons working at that size is not easy, when working with 16x16 tiles you only have a 10x10 space to work in because 32 does not divide by 3, but it's doable with some skill.

What exactly is the information you're looking for? The exact limitations of the device? How to make a 4 color tileset look good? Existing resources? How to make a pixel font work without blurring?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

JDgoldvox wrote on Mr. Detective's profile.
hey, could u help me with a problem? basically, How do I delete a character from a map after a cut scene is over? I am really new with RPG maker MV. Please help!
The most rewarding part of making custom body character parts is absolutely not making the masks work. Somebody please put me out of my misery.
Any commercial devs here ever mess with Gamejolt? Been contemplating making my games available there but don't know if it's worth the effort or not.
Social distancing taught me of how much of not a loner I am. Dammit, I miss seeing my friends...
Happy 4th of July all. Anybody have plans? Mine here is staying home away from the virus. Still a nice 3 day weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
superfluffy