RPG Maker MV Gameboy

Discussion in 'Resource Support' started by DaneReid, Oct 21, 2017.

1. DaneReid

DaneReid Musician Veteran

Looking to make gameboy sprites, tilesets, and graphics in general and trying to match it's resolution (using a plugin to make the resolution the same as gameboy's resolution) with RPG Maker MV. If anyone could help me out by giving advice and/or links that'll be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  2. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Sorry, not the correct thread.

I've moved this thread to Resource Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

3. Sharm

Sharm Pixel Tile Artist Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Most of the advice for making pixel art for any tile size is going to be the same when working for Gameboy, but the GB has a few extra limitations that make things harder than making most pixel art. Mostly using 4 colors. Working in such a low color environment makes things like contrast, lighting, and positive/negative space much more important, as those things are carrying more weight in defining what your artwork represents to the viewer. You also don't have a whole lot of space to work in, so each pixel conveys way more information and has to be placed more carefully.

As for logistics, I find it easier to size up the graphics to fit MV than I do fixing up MV to use smaller tiles (through plugins and external map editors). Getting the icons working at that size is not easy, when working with 16x16 tiles you only have a 10x10 space to work in because 32 does not divide by 3, but it's doable with some skill.

What exactly is the information you're looking for? The exact limitations of the device? How to make a 4 color tileset look good? Existing resources? How to make a pixel font work without blurring?