Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
RPG Maker MV games are crashing deployed Mac OS or in engine testing with a fatal error, screen turns all red then program closes. This is after the BigSur update.

Here' my specs:

MacBook Pro 16 inch

2.3 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9
64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB
Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB
Display: 16-inch (3072 × 1920)
Storage: 2TB Flash storage

Also when it decides to not crash the screen will eventually go all black and it gives a resolution error with webGL for this line of code:

29556 - resolution = textureBuffer.resolution;

Appears to happen mostly in full screen mode and so far the game engine doesn't crash itself.

Hopefully that info helps....

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you deploying from Mac, or from PC? Is the error you're getting from test play and the error you're getting from deployed version the same?

slimmmeiske2

Little Red Riding Hood
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMXP

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you deploying from Mac, or from PC?

From Mac.

Is the error you're getting from test play and the error you're getting from deployed version the same?

Yes.

I never had an issue before until I updated to new Mac OS. However, rpg maker mv is advertised to work with Mac, so its looks like we have to wait until developers have time to take a look. This also so far only happens in full screen mode and in windowed I have yet to see any problems. (so this is a nice temporary fix for now, at least I can still develop in my environment.)

I do imagine this will create issues for export to iOS as well as Mac OS games. Basically we can't release our games on Mac OS and IOS cause it just crashes. So for some of us that are close to release have been telling our customers/supporters that we will have a release for Mac users. But unfortunately this is just unrealistic to tell them to just ignore a crash like this.

I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

My bad please don't hang me for it. :p

Oops. I meant to quote this and merge I even pressed edit? Hmmm I made a mistake I'm sorry guys for the double post.

Last edited:

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Archeia something to report to the devs?

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I can now confirm that it affects all instances of the game even when not in fullscreen. What happens is the screen just turn black randomly or the game outright crashes, not at any specific time in the game or place. After like 20 seconds - ?? amount of minutes.

I suspect this has to do with MV being a 32 bit program and Mac OS not supporting 32 bit programs anymore. So something happens with the graphics that does this stuff.

(and before anyone asks its not anything to do with my game specifically as it worked perfectly before and now it doesn't.) I specifically went to check for errors for this cause I knew something was going to happen. I wanted to be helpful and report it for the community for anyone else that may have Mac computer cause there's not as many of us. I can always load RPG Maker MV on my windows drive, not that I want to but yeah.

Thankfully I have purchased MZ already and it is a 64 bit program and does not suffer from this problem. So in the future any games I develop with rpg maker will be okay. I just can't move my current game from MV to MZ because it is too late in its development.

Last edited:

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I really hope these Mac issues don't just get ignored. I have progressed so far in my game on a Mac version of MV.

I don't have all the same issues, but the game randomly just quits when I play from the "engine".
Also something funky happening in the battles, sometimes sudden death and game over even if health bar is full. I don't know if it's a separate issue, but appeared the same day I updated my Mac mini.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hate to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't hold my breath about a fix. There's been a weird bug with MV since as long as I've been using it which causes the graphics rendering to just magically stop dead in its tracks at seemingly random times, even though the rest of the game is still running normally. (You can press buttons, hear menu sounds, etc, but the graphics don't update to reflect your actions)

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I hate to be a pessimist, but I wouldn't hold my breath about a fix.

I think they should remove Mac OS and iOS support then from steam and from rpg maker web at least for export options.

There's been a weird bug with MV since as long as I've been using it which causes the graphics rendering to just magically stop dead in its tracks at seemingly random times, even though the rest of the game is still running normally. (You can press buttons, hear menu sounds, etc, but the graphics don't update to reflect your actions)

I've never encountered such a bug until the most recent update to the Mac OS BigSur which sounds a lot like your describing.

Right now games made with MV will absolutely crash on the most recent update for Mac computers. So it is a pretty big deal that now anyones' currently released games might be affected and or future released games by this, simply just for having an up to date system.

Last edited:

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I've never encountered such a bug until the most recent update to the Mac OS BigSur which sounds a lot like your describing.
Oh, I just meant how it seems like they let bugs sit like this for a long time, because I'm having this issue on a windows machine. If you're having that same issue on a mac, then it's safe to say it's not just a mac problem, but a problem with MV in general. It'd be nice to know if they have any intention of investigating and fixing this.

That said, I don't think they do, and as someone else with a game far into development, I know the maps, events, etc should copy over just fine, but all of the plugin-based stuff (especially action sequences) will be another story entirely. Especially since the project relied on a lot of Yanfly plugins with effects I'll have to reproduce on my own somehow.

Guess I'll get started now I suppose...

Momsenek

Villager
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
N/A
I have the same problems after installing the Mac OS update "BigSur". Before that everything was working fine. Now the game randomly closes. I am at the end of my build-phase and currently switching to test-phase with hot fixes and balancing of the game... so I wouldn't move to another rpgmaker version with the whole project.

Is an update officially planned ? Is the rpgmaker not supported for further Mac versions?

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is an update officially planned ? Is the rpgmaker not supported for further Mac versions?
Let’s not give them any ideas. I really hope they keep supporting Mac MV. Suddenly removing the support would convince me away from their products for sure.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I meant to post an update here, but I found that using a newer version of NWJS (there's a thread about how to do it here: https://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/inde...upgrade-nwjs-and-chromium-67-68-64bits.96908/ ) And while I can't promise it'll help with mac users because I know nothing about macs, it seems to have taken care of the problem for me on windows. The game's overall performance has shot up, too.

Note: Read my reply on page 3 as well, since the OP's instructions only update NWJS for playtest mode, not live deployment.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
And while I can't promise it'll help with mac users

It won't because its not the same issue. Mac got updated to BigSur and now it does not support 64 bit programs, so naturally we're getting graphics errors and instant sudden crashing due to incompatibility. Thanks for your troubleshooting though.

I have the same problems after installing the Mac OS update "BigSur". Before that everything was working fine. Now the game randomly closes. I am at the end of my build-phase and currently switching to test-phase with hot fixes and balancing of the game... so I wouldn't move to another rpgmaker version with the whole project.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this.

I wasn't as direct as you, but I thought the question was implied. Thanks.

Aesica

undefined
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
It won't because its not the same issue. Mac got updated to BigSur and now it does not support 64 bit programs, so naturally we're getting graphics errors and instant sudden crashing due to incompatibility. Thanks for your troubleshooting though.
I'm assuming you mean 32 bit apps don't run anymore since 64-bit is newer/better, and according to a bit of digging, apple dropped support for 32 bit apps for some reason. 0.12.3 (very old, don't use) was the last nwjs version with a 32 bit osx option, so there has to be something else going on. If you're able to, I'd try updating your nwjs version anyway (back up the old one just in case it goes south) to something newer like v0.49.2 and see if you have the same problem. I say "if you're able to" because unfortunately, updating nwjs for mac-deployed games appears to be a bit trickier than doing it for windows.

This may or may not be helpful because I know next to nothing about macs, but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. :)

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yeah I basically had to tell a friend they cannot playtest my game cause they have updated there Mac system to the latest OS. I'm hoping that someone can kindly take a look cause there is something the developers can do to stop the crashing for sure.

I mean otherwise RPG Maker MV can't do what it's said it can do since release. I'm not usually one to complain too much about things on here but I feel strongly about this one because it affects our game sales/downloads ect due to the fact we been telling them they can use Mac to play our games. We take serious ramifications cause of this. For sure people already have games out that state they support Mac OS and so they may now have to refund people to.

And for people that have made absolutely nothing off their games but have poured thousands of dollars into custom assets should not have to redact Mac support because of an update.

Thank you for any of the Rpg maker web staff in advance for taking a look if they can. I can help troubleshoot it too, just send me a PM.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wrote to devs and this was response:

”I'm very sorry to hear that your having issues using your RPG Maker with the latest Apple OS. I've taken down this information and passed it along to our dev team for investigation.

While this may not be an ideal solution, if it's possible to you, you may choose to revert back to the Catalina operating system until this issue is resolved, as it may solve your problem.”

I think if more people make direct error reports that are calm, clear and detailed it will draw their attention to the problem.

trainboy2019

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got that exact same response. But I did notice that the more I ran the game to test it, the stabler it got. Really weird.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think if more people make direct error reports that are calm, clear and detailed it will draw their attention to the problem.
Their attention has already been drawn to the problem. It's not something they'll be able to fix overnight.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Their attention has already been drawn to the problem. It's not something they'll be able to fix overnight.

Didn’t think it would be an overnight thing. But more info and different errors and experiences with the software might help.
If you have insider info that they’re already hard at work, well that’s great!

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

and_remember_tomorrow_more_redesigns.jpg

So I redesigned the player HUD and the Time Rewind message. Now they're all very animated and the clock actually spins backwards with cool particle effects before vanishing. Going to update the puzzle menu and mini map to look sweet next. Then I'll show it all animated. :LZSexcite:
Oh no my hospital test results are not good......just not good, but at least explains why my health tank more than usual lately. Stupid body. I want a refund on this body. = .=
Ami
Finally,MogHunter's Site is Open Again!

https://moonglesoft.wordpress.com/
You know, having a project this big is kinda nice. I can procrastinate working on one part, while still progressing with another part :guffaw:
Wizard : "I've mastered all kinds of elemental magics. Fire, earth, water, and many more..."

Ninja : "What a beginner. Those are all predictable elements. I've mastered the most unpredictable elements of all time."

Wizard : "Interesting. What elements you've mastered? Thunder? Wind?"

Ninja : "Elements of surprise."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kluyyuy