Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No, I don't. But it doesn't do them any good having a product that nobody is going to buy because they can't run it on the latest OS. So not being hard at work is hurting them financially. What better motivation?

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I got that exact same response. But I did notice that the more I ran the game to test it, the stabler it got. Really weird.

I think part of the problem might be the lack of access MacOS is willing to give. The more the access is granted the less it asks and less crashing? Maybe.

I play Disco Elysium on Mac and there was same problem with Big Sur, after few minutes the game just quit.
There was a massive patch and now it works again, but it seems there was a lot of stuff in that patch.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So not being hard at work is hurting them financially. What better motivation?

Right? This is what you would think. Like should I just remove Mac OS as a supported platform for my game now that its nearing release? At the very least I'm going to have to say that it doesn't support latest OS update which is why in my eyes better to just not support it.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think part of the problem might be the lack of access MacOS is willing to give. The more the access is granted the less it asks and less crashing?

All software is the same though. Every time there's an OS update, there's a possibility that something won't work with your game/program anymore. It's one of the things I really hate about mobile development, because mobile OS updates are much more frequent.

sunnyriffic

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys, I upgraded to a new macbook this Christmas that runs Big Sur and of course have the same crashing issues when trying to play test my game. I followed the instructions here on how to update the nw.js:

Update NWJS

It has good instructions for mac and was easy to follow. I didn't need to update pixi like it said since the newest version of MV is pretty up to date. When running a test game, it does take awhile to open the play test window (but less than a minute) and doesn't seem to have any issues for me. I'm on a macbook air M1. I haven't tested deployment, so can only vouch that it helps a ton with play testing.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I followed the instructions here on how to update the nw.js:

Update NWJS

I have to try this. Maybe it will also help me better understand the technical side of the RPG Maker. This kind of crap is the reason I changed from Win to Mac, but it seems you can’t escape it.

EDIT: It seems Aesica was already onto this, but I somehow missed that it was related to my issues also.

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have updated the nwjs and have not experienced any more crashing. If this is all I need to fix it then this topic will be solved, I will keep on testing and return with a final verdict after a couple days of testing.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have tried to read the instructions many times, and it might be that I am just so new Mac user that I don't get the simplest things, but I can't even get started. I can't find the stuff I'm supposed to replace.

EDIT: Doesn't help that the instructions jump back and forth between all the different variations. But can some Mac user help me, where is this NWJS so I can start replacing it.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hey hey!

Im a mac user and I just created an awesome new guide to help you update the NW.js.

Perhaps my guide will help you. Give it a shot and let me know!

(I believe updating nw.js to a new version will make the game playable!)

Make sure the test and the deployed version work.

EDIT: Oh, I see that someone linked my guide above. Cool! Hopefully you saw it and it helps.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey hey!

Im a mac user and I just created an awesome new guide to help you update the NW.js.

Perhaps my guide will help you. Give it a shot and let me know!

Hey, thank you for doing all the hard work! I have tried to read again and again your guide, but I just can't find all the stuff that is supposed to be in the RPG Maker Folder.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 14.09.59.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-09 at 14.09.59.png
    70 KB · Views: 4

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hello,

No problem, glad I can help.

Using Steam? can you browse local files?

Where do you get stuck? Are you right clicking "show package contents"?

For mac you only update the "nwjs-osx-test" folder

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Where do you get stuck? Are you right clicking "show package contents"?

For mac you only update the "nwjs-osx-test" folder

My local files in a screenshot above.

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
My local files in a screenshot above.

Oh my bad.

I havent slept yet and missed it.

Right click on RPG Maker MV and click "Show package contents".... and you should be good to go.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oh my bad.

I havent slept yet and missed it.

Right click on RPG Maker MV and click "Show package contents".... and you should be good to go.

Yess! Thank you that did it!
It might have been in the guide, but I just didn't understand what was the meaning... Now I can get it done I hope!

Big thanks!

KillerGin

Freddie
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Yess! Thank you that did it!
It might have been in the guide, but I just didn't understand what was the meaning... Now I can get it done I hope!

Big thanks!

hey, no problem, glad I could help!

Let me know how deployed games and the editor test games work for you.

wilpuri

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Didn't crash on my first quite long test so it's looking good. Only thing that doesn't seem to change for me is the Maker asking permission for access. I have given access to files for Maker and Steam both. But that is pretty minor thing if the game testing and the games work!

Thank Maker for helpful dudes!

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey guys I'm back now with a final verdict. All though updating the nwjs does fix the crashing it does not make the game stable and I have still experienced game breaking errors like the entire screen going black still requiring a reset to the game and a loss of potential progress for the person playing.

Also, some errors keep popping up that can quickly get into the thousands while the game is running. Keep in mind this did not happen to my game before the update so it should still work the same but it doesn't, I'm going to keep trying other things though and return again.

bug.png

Last edited:

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I have tested even further and have got rid of all those errors, they are related to the mouse wheel so I just disabled it. It's not that big of a deal to lose that tbh. I am still hoping the devs work this out. Right now the screen always going black and you can see some of my GUI still but tiles and characters forget it they disappear, forcing anyone playing our games to having to restart the game every time.

wzackw

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I kept restarting every time it crashed (on the first screen each time), and it went longer without crashing each time, and by the fifth try I could play through the whole game without any crashes. That sucks for players but at least it's playable...

Dungeonmind

Lvl 4000 Humanoid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I don't find it playable when you have to keep restarting the game again and again re-doing scenes you've already seen. My post was more of a marketing issue on both sides. I have told my clients/customers for the duration of its development that I support Mac OS and I may have to redact that or adjust it now where it affects sales for me negatively. However, the new rpg maker MZ has no problems and is lightning fast the editor and games made with it not surprisingly though as it is a fully supported program for 64-bit computers where the issue truly resides.

And well the other side of it is they do claim full Mac support from what I can see/read/research.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

treele.jpg
A them/they in a forest... a still for the game I'm working on.
Making a blue-magic-heavy game is very fun but there's a lot of extra hassle as well. Balancing skills for both enemy and player usage isn't easy.
BTW everyone on staff who made the forum jump, thank-you! This time I am not panicked and lost all rounds.
I'm not searching for bugs, just pleasant surprises, for now on ^^
Been a while since I've been here, whoops. My computer's been acting really stupid so I wasn't able to work on my projects, but the good news is I've got a new one, meaning I can get back to work. And I've got a nice idea in mind, I'll just need to find some good scripts for the Aesthetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sxips